Has ACC lived up to billing as a super conference? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Has ACC lived up to billing as a super conference?

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Nearly three years have passed since the turmoil and brouhaha of the ACC's raid on the Big East. This season will mark the league's second as a full-blown, 12-team football conference. So, has the ACC accomplished its goal of becoming the nation's newest super-conference, the last remaining beacon of hegemony in a time of parity?

Well ... not according to Mailbag readers.

We're a year removed from the ACC raiding the Big East. Oh well ... life goes on. In Year 2, the Big East has two national powers, West Virginia and Louisville. Who from the ACC will be able to compete on the same level as the Big East elite? I don't see any ACC teams worthy of a couch being sacrificially burned!

-- Tonto, Morgantown, W.Va.
What's the deal with the ACC? It has been heralded as a "power" conference, but it seems like a race to the middle. Last year four teams were 3-5, two were 4-4 and three were 5-3. Is there any chance of a power emerging from the ACC, especially one not named Virginia Tech, Miami or Florida State?

-- David Nolan, Cincinnati

The last four years have shown a drop in the level of play of the ACC. Do you expect the conference to reload in 2006 and compete for the BCS title game? Will Miami and FSU ever regain their swagger?

-- Jose, Decatur, Ga.

I'd say the above submissions confirm what I've always believed: that we as fans tend to judge conferences largely by the strength of their top two or three teams rather than the league as a whole. Because while Florida State might not be quite the juggernaut it was, say, 10 years ago, you can't tell me the conference isn't much stronger today than it was back when the 'Noles were beating everybody 59-17 and 48-10. Just look at the most recent NFL draft, in which the ACC had more players selected in the first round (12) than any other conference. But I also agree that all that talent doesn't seem to be translating to the field. Though the ACC in recent years has become an extremely tough defensive league, nobody seems to be able to put it all together on both sides of the ball.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/05/31/mailbag/index.html

The ACC is really a weak divsion, other than VT Miami and FSU, all the teams blow.

Thing is there are so many good teams in the ACC none will win a National Championship.....

In this day and age you pretty much have to go undefeated to get there...which wont happen in the ACC

the ACC is a tough divison, but also disappointing teams in there like Miami...we had a good year, but that peach bowl vs LSU was un-called for..blown out..hope we bounce back and get closer to our 6th national championship soon

305TillIDie said:
the ACC is a tough divison, but also disappointing teams in there like Miami...we had a good year, but that peach bowl vs LSU was un-called for..blown out..hope we bounce back and get closer to our 6th national championship soon

Miami is gonna be good this year no matter what they say

Kyle Wright is gonna be a great QB

Alex22 said:
Miami is gonna be good this year no matter what they say

Kyle Wright is gonna be a great QB
yeah..i like kyle wright and his arm..tyrone moss should be a beast again, after a acl tear last year..hope he stays healthy..watch out for my homeboy..Chavez grant, A 2005 signee...hes from booker t. and i played with him my senior year..he was a freshman..he has great speed and he has a noise for the football..i also played with antonio dixon..same high school as well..he plays for the canes last year vs VT and a couple of other games..hes a monster..6'4 340 at DT..big dixon is no joke :eek:

305TillIDie said:
yeah..i like kyle wright and his arm..tyrone moss should be a beast again, after a acl tear last year..hope he stays healthy..watch out for my homeboy..Chavez grant, A 2005 signee...hes from booker t. and i played with him my senior year..he was a freshman..he has great speed and he has a noise for the football..i also played with antonio dixon..same high school as well..he plays for the canes last year vs VT and a couple of other games..hes a monster..6'4 340 at DT..big dixon is no joke :eek:

Thats huge

Im looking for BIG things this year outta the U....it hasnt been the same since we lost to Ohio State :(

We play that game and 9 times outta 10 we win....unfortunatly Willis blows out his knee, and we get a late PI call.....and lose

Alex22 said:
Thing is there are so many good teams in the ACC none will win a National Championship.....

In this day and age you pretty much have to go undefeated to get there...which wont happen in the ACC
I think your giving them a little to much credit. Especially with the structure they set up, its not that far fetched at all for a team to go undefeated in the ACC.

ACC is decent but night quite up to the Big Ten or SEC level yet.

The ACC is definitely one of the top conf's, it migh be the toughest top to bottom BUT in the last few years traditional powers like FSU and Miami(and to a lesser extent Va tech) have not been dominant like they have in the past. If the ACC can get a vintage UM or FSU team to go w/ the depth it will be the top conf. Just look at the 1st rd of the draft, it seemd like they were only picking ACC players.

the reason FSU and miami haven't been as dominant as they once were is because they're playing good teams regularly now. no more rutgers and temple for miami.

UF Fin Kat said:
the reason FSU and miami haven't been as dominant as they once were is because they're playing good teams regularly now. no more rutgers and temple for miami.

That plays a role but if we had a 90s FSU teamn or an 80s or early 90s Miami team the only game lost for either side would be the head to head matchup where someone had to lose. They just have not been dominant in recent years like they were for so many years.

Motion said:
I think your giving them a little to much credit. Especially with the structure they set up, its not that far fetched at all for a team to go undefeated in the ACC.

ACC is decent but night quite up to the Big Ten or SEC level yet.

SEC is the best no doubt

but

Playing, FSU, VA Tech, Georgia Tech, and a handful of other decent teams every year isnt easy....(speaking for Miami)

UF Fin Kat said:

Nah if these were the Canes of the past it wouldnt matter who we were playing....this team just isnt as good, we need to get back to that level

Alex22 said:
SEC is the best no doubt

but

Playing, FSU, VA Tech, Georgia Tech, and a handful of other decent teams every year isnt easy....(speaking for Miami)

The SEC WAS the best on a yearly basis but it hasn't been quite as strong top to bottom in recent years. They still always have a big time team or 2 or 3 but it drops off whereas it didn't in the past.

Alex22 said:
Nah if these were the Canes of the past it wouldnt matter who we were playing....this team just isnt as good, we need to get back to that level

Not with Coker the Choker there.

Back
Top Bottom