Has ACC lived up to billing as a super conference? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Has ACC lived up to billing as a super conference?

Alex44 said:
Dont be suprised if Georgia Tech does some great things this year....their defense is tough, they have an experienced QB, and Calvin Johnson is a monster WR

Miami is my team though....ACC and SEC are by far the best conferences

Yea Ga Tech is another one of those pesky ACC teams (and with Johnson they should be explosive this year . . Reggie Ball is gone right?), and Virginia, BC, I mean outside of Duke, u gotta come and play every week in that conference. SEC the top teams should beat the Vandy's, the Kentucky's and both Mississippi's (tho there will still be the occasional upset), but it is always war in that conference with the elite teams.

Miami should be incredible on defense, especially there secondary . . if Wright can improve on last year, and that line is improved, I think we can see some nice things from Miami this year. They have always been my team.

Kdawg954 said:
Yea Ga Tech is another one of those pesky ACC teams (and with Johnson they should be explosive this year . . Reggie Ball is gone right?), and Virginia, BC, I mean outside of Duke, u gotta come and play every week in that conference. SEC the top teams should the Vandy's, the Kentucky's and both Mississippi's (tho there will still be the occasional upset), but it is always war in that conference with the elite teams.

reggie is a senior this year I think, because in NCAA 06 he is a junior so im assuming he is back for them, which will mean they can contend vs anyone (Miami SHOULD have beat them last year that was really disappointing :( )

in basketball there a super confrence. in football there middle

Quien said:
in basketball there a super confrence. in football there middle

nah in basketball, the ACC is like the SEC in football . . a bunch of elite teams, some decent middle ones, and some bottom dwellers. The Big East basketball compares to ACC football. Some solid number one teams and a host of other stiff competition through out the conference. Those would be my comparisons.

Kdawg954 said:
No doubt in my mind that the ACC and SEC stand out above all the other conferences. Sad thing is, we probably will not get a national championship from either one because both conferences beat up on each other all year. I mean if your in the SEC . . lets say Florida, u usually have a schedule that includes LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia (and since we talking Florida, throw FSU in there as well). . I mean there is almost no way u beat those 5 (6) teams, u are great if u take only 2 losses with that schedule, but u still most likely wont sniff the BCS championship game.

The SEC is stronger at the top, but I think in the middle is where the ACC shows its strength . . these Marylands and Clemson's and NC states are no easy task, u gotta come out and play ball. In Miami's case, they don't have no pushover teams to worry about like they did in the Big East, they gotta play ball every week.

Pac-10 as a power conference is comical . . one team doesn't make you a power conference. After the top 2, I probably throw the Big 10 third, Big 12 fourth, Big East fifth (they have some nice teams with Pitt, West Va, Louiville and Rutgers . . .alot of Florida talent sticks with the Big East) and Pac-10 sixth.

You're right...the BCS has been pretty ridiculous too...I mean Auburn goes undefeated in the SEC and USC goes undefeated in the Pac 10 and Oklahoma goes undefeated in the Big 12, and Auburn is the odd team out? And what's even funnier is that USC gets to "share" the NC with LSU the previous year because they only lost their only tough game all year against Cal.
It's all about hype, it's all about who's the rock star this year...that's why Notre Dame and Ohio State have the advantage this year (well ND has the advantage every year). I could guarantee that if those two teams went undefeated, and Miami and Florida both did as well, that ND and OSU would be playing for the NC.
That's why a playoff makes sense. As long as the Big 12, Big East, and Pac 10 are major conferences, we need a playoff.

As long as the Big 12, Big East, and Pac 10 are major conferences, we need a playoff.

The Big east is not a major conference and them staying apart of the BCS makes the BCS even more of a joke.

nyjunc said:
The Big east is not a major conference and them staying apart of the BCS makes the BCS even more of a joke.
Agreed

kpcane said:
You're right...the BCS has been pretty ridiculous too...I mean Auburn goes undefeated in the SEC and USC goes undefeated in the Pac 10 and Oklahoma goes undefeated in the Big 12, and Auburn is the odd team out? And what's even funnier is that USC gets to "share" the NC with LSU the previous year because they only lost their only tough game all year against Cal.
It's all about hype, it's all about who's the rock star this year...that's why Notre Dame and Ohio State have the advantage this year (well ND has the advantage every year). I could guarantee that if those two teams went undefeated, and Miami and Florida both did as well, that ND and OSU would be playing for the NC.
That's why a playoff makes sense. As long as the Big 12, Big East, and Pac 10 are major conferences, we need a playoff.

Sad but true, I mean BCS has gotten extremely fortunate that the 3 undefeateds have only happended once, and that one time was a joke not to have Auburn in there. I'm waiting for it to happen with 3 or 4 teams even, it will happen and when it does they are gonna be forced to make changes. Playoff is probably the best way.

Instead of getting all of December off. U take ure 24 best teams, give byes t the top 2 seeds in each group (4 groups 6 teams) and u play football (or take ure top 32 teams, no byes and play, whatever), Winner takes all, thats the only true way to have a champion.

I think it is to early to pass judgement on the ACC. It will be a few years before you can call it a success or not. Let these teams recruit using the Super Confernce title as a way to draw in recruits. If I was a recruit I would rather go to a school that had a conference title. It gives you one more game on national TV.

This is going to be a tough year for all teams in the ACC.

Here is my rankings
FSU
Miami
Clemson
VaTech
BC
GaTech
Maryland
NC State
UNC
UVA
Wake
Duke

I think we might see a rematch of the first game FSU vs the U. With FSU losing the 1st one but winning the 2nd one.

Alex44 said:
ACC and SEC are by far the best conferences

definately, and rightfully so considering all of the talent in the southeast. the sec is best at the top w/ lsu, auburn, bama, fla, and tenn (aside from last year) where as the acc is the deepest league in the nation- 11 of the 12 teams (wake forest on coaching alone, duke is awful) can play w/ anybody in the country.

Back
Top Bottom