Haters toughened up Tannehill, says teammate who uses the word ‘elite’ when describing him | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Haters toughened up Tannehill, says teammate who uses the word ‘elite’ when describing him

"He's not even average" is absolute ****ing rubbish and you know it.

You're probably the Fantasy Football fan and NFL Red Zone fan who looks at the game from a merely statistical standpoint and thinks that watching highlight videos of players on youtube makes you a football film expert. There are thousands of you in every fanbase and you all love to outwardly express your flawed rhetoric. But go on! Tell me more.
OK smart ass, where do you rank Ryan from 1-32 as a QB in the NFL(no fantasy). I'm waiting and will react.

Is Tannehill elite? I don't know....what I do know is that the article although well written really says nothing. He has learned and gotten better or the criticism has toughened him up....what does that mean?...he is the leader of this team...well he was always the leader like it or not. Has his pocket presence improved? Does he still hold on to the ball for what seems like hours on end? I am glad that he is staying late, watching film, breaking down defenses...etc. I think RT will be great, with an improved line and a good coach (which I think we have) this kid can be special. He's got a cannon for an arm and he's tough as nails. (something we already knew) The article was fluff and should have been more specific on how he has improved.

OK smart ***, where do you rank Ryan from 1-32 as a QB in the NFL(no fantasy). I'm waiting and will react.

Do you watch the games or you just look at records, stats n **** to declare he sucks?

Do you watch the games or you just look at records, stats n **** to declare he sucks?

Neither. He just takes the opinion of others who don't follow the team at their word.

Last edited:
For some reason if I ever wrote John Beck is the future of the team. I'd never post in a thread and say any QB sucked or was below average.

Of course Tannehilli is not elite, he's not even average. He's %*@&ing "BELOW" average!

He's ranked by just about every single pro football writer, evaluator, and fan between 18-22! That's "BELOW" average!

He's really not that good guys, let's hope Gase molds him into something special.

Having been part of a large pro-Tannehill contingent who have been vindicated having fought the good fight, now that fans like you have become far and few between, I sit on the sideline chuckling while much more astute members including but certainly not limited to @Digital and @Sons Of Shula continue to eviscerate these spurious contentions. But over that time I've put together my own takes, a few of which I'll share.

First: no matter how you think Tannehill is objectively rated from a career standpoint and specifically by year prior to 2016, if you refuse to acknowledge that over a 7-1 game stretch Tannehill played at a top 10 or even top 8QB level once Gase's system kicked in with a dependable running game, an at least adequate defense the OL was not rated worst or second to worst in the league, it kind of impugns your overall argument as being subjectively agenda-driven.

In a "what have you done for me lately" league, that performance is pretty damn relevant and answered many of the criticisms lodged against him including:

TANNEHILL: DEBUNKING THE NEGATIVE NARRATIVES

[x] Can’t throw deep
[x} Is not clutch
[x] Is not accurate
[x] Can’t put the game on his shoulders
[x] Is not a leader
[x] Can’t beat formidable Defenses
[x] Can’t win without a 200yd or even 100 yd rushing game
[x] Can’t win with a patchwork Offensive Line
[x] Has no pocket presence
[x] Not respected by his teammates
[x} Had no bearing on why Gase selected the Fins

Now let's take a look at his previous years. If you want to point to "scoreboard" as being most important, you have to be impressed by 2016's version. But even even looking back, in '13&'14 despite their relative years of experience, Tannehill won one more game than did Matt Ryan despite Melty having the GOAT TE, 1 very good receiver and one great receiver while Tannehill had none of that and had to contend with the 32nd rated OL. If you want to apply past "scoreboard" to RT, then be consistent givng the likes of Rivers, Luck, Flacco and Ryan demerits when appropriate.

If you are extolling the virtues of Luck who played in a cupcake division, Flacco, Rivers and Ryan over Tannehill in 14 and 15, here's some sobering facts:

2015 PFF QB Rank OL Rank
Tannehill 19 31
Luck 34 15
Rivers 14 32
Ryan 9 4

Tannehill 11 32
Luck 9 17
Rivers 6 29
Ryan 8 26

Now let's take a closer look at the PFF 2014 ratings when Tannehill was supposedly mucking in the mire
Tannehill 2014PFF rankings.jpg

Not too shabby, especially vs his peers, was it?

Bottom Line to answer your question: Tannehill despite coaching rushing, OL, and defense took a nice step forward in 14, regressed a little in '15 but still didn't do all that awful despite the above albatrosses around his neck. Before 2016, you could not rate him top 10, but certainly a persuasive argument could be made that he was at the very least a top 18QB.

In 2016, factoring in his entire body of work including unfamiliarity with the system, maybe rank him a top 14-15 QB. During his last half, 7-1 season, a just as compelling case can be made that he was performing at a top 8 level.

Got lots more but this is now probably "sensory overload," so I'll just conclude by thanking you for teeing this up for me :up:

2014 seems kind of not important so I googled "2017 NFL QB Rankings" and this is what I found, sorry I do not go to page 2.

ProFootballFocus #18
Sporting News #21
ESPN #24
Athlon Sports #21
TheBig Lead #21
NFL.com Ranked the top 16 QBs rated the best 100 players of the league and RT was not listed
FoxSports #15
Bleacher Report Ranked Tannehill's supporting cast #7 in the NFL.
USA Today article ranking Tannehill Tier 4

end of Page 1

2014 seems kind of not important so I googled "2017 NFL QB Rankings" and this is what I found, sorry I do not go to page 2.

ProFootballFocus #18
Sporting News #21
ESPN #24
Athlon Sports #21
TheBig Lead #21
NFL.com Ranked the top 16 QBs rated the best 100 players of the league and RT was not listed
FoxSports #15
Bleacher Report Ranked Tannehill's supporting cast #7 in the NFL.
USA Today article ranking Tannehill Tier 4

end of Page 1
He's a very good QB who we can win with. Idc what anybody ranks him as. I dont think this thread was made to compare him to others. It states he is improving and is a leader

Question brother dolphintodd. How would you rate his performance last year during the winning streak. Sure looked like a top 10 guy to me. Can he put that same effort up for 16 + games and take that next step ? That's really the question now. Not his rating but whether there is still upside. I say there is but only next season can really answer that question.

Question brother dolphintodd. How would you rate his performance last year during the winning streak. Sure looked like a top 10 guy to me. Can he put that same effort up for 16 + games and take that next step ? That's really the question now. Not his rating but whether there is still upside. I say there is but only next season can really answer that question.

I think there is still upside, you can win with him but not because of him.

I think teammate and head coach are just saying right word. when it come to thill17. he is not elite. if he was elite dolphins would be winning afc east. the bottom line our head coach know he need thill17 to be on his best games to win this yr. this yr will tell us if dolphins are for real or not. we have not had gb in so long. some of our fan do not no want elite look like as qb.

silly argument. Green Bay won the division 5 times out of 9 with Aaron Rodgers as starter, once with a 8-7-1 record. i don't think anyone is disputing Rodgers being elite.

The whole top 100 list is a matter of opinion.
I like Dak Prescott, but he is not the 14th best player in the league.

Back
Top Bottom