Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 16 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 16

That's exactly right. It's what struck me today. Your post wasn't here when I started my lengthy comment, otherwise I would have quoted you.

Jones is still getting better.

That's the thing. He's still growing, he will get better IMO. He is a hard worker. He is a student of the game.

I attended my first Dolphin game in years today. Decided to watch Reshad Jones on every play, to get a feel for his true caliber.

It was generally a waste. That position has changed so drastically these days in a pass happy league that the vast majority of plays end up with no involvement by the safeties. I felt I had criticized Ed Reed a bit much last night, after watching the safeties on both teams today. I guess I was still envisioning the way Dick Anderson played safety, or the top college safeties in a more run oriented approach, which the college game still features.

Jones takes some poor angles, including on the long run by Spiller, even though he ended up recovering the fumble. As the play developed I could see it was designed to go right and was unfolding to go right. Yet Jones approached the line of scrimmage rather tentatively and toward the other side of the formation, the offense's left. I said out loud, "Where the hell is he going?" Then as Spiller broke into the second level Jones was still uncommitted and seemingly took it for granted one of his teammates would make the play. He wasn't running hard. Far from it. Not until Spiller broke free in the secondary did Jones take off, and he ended up getting credit for a turnover. I don't know what it looked like on TV but in person I wasn't impressed with Jones' initial diagnosis on that play, nor several others that shared similar tendencies.

Obviously he made a spectacular play at the goal line late in the game. I don't want to come across like one of the Reggie Bush rippers who are determined to slight him regardless of what he does. But I hoped to see a great safety in Jones and he demonstrated some weaknesses, notably on play action or slowly developing running plays. Not exactly Zach Thomas in terms of finding the ball when there is trash in front of him.

* Buffalo has a pathetic offensive scheme. One of the most masochistic approaches an NFL team can make is loading up 5 wide receivers in an empty backfield when your quarterback is mediocre or worse. The premier quarterbacks can violate any rule. Fitzpatrick can't. If they keep Gailey and Fitzpatrick there's no upside.

* When Egnew took the field I noticed him immediately and said,"Hey's it's Egnew. We've got Egnew on the field." The guy behind me cut that off in a hurry. "So what? He can't catch a ball." That was the end of any conversation on Michael Egnew. Once we split him out far left and he didn't exactly look explosive chugging down the field. The defender shadowed his shoulder and looked mostly bored, jogging along.

* I couldn't get over the loud enthusiastic crowd reaction to the original Dolphin fight song compared to the new version. Every time the "Miami Dolphins #1" song blared, a high percentage of fans stood up, danced, and sang. When the "left, right" version played it was generally boredom, although one little kid not too far away reacted to it when prompted by his parents.

* In listening to both songs I was struck by the aspect that I've mentioned many times. There was no such things as Fins or Phins in those days. It makes me ill when someone refers to the '72 Fins. Sloppy abbreviations didn't exist in those days, not in relation to the Dolphins. The song spells out Dolphins fully every time, as did everyone else. I'd like to go back to the first time somebody shortened it to Fins and strangle them, or make them spend time with a Reggie Bush hater. Now that would be punishment.

What did you think about Clemons Awsi?

Jones is still getting better.

That's the thing. He's still growing, he will get better IMO. He is a hard worker. He is a student of the game.

What are you talking about? He's the same as he was last year. He just has less responsibilities this year and is close to the LOS.

He takes bad angles, slow in diagnosing plays, and in gets destroyed on combination routes.

But at the same time he makes up for it by being really good at finding the ball. Thats what masks his deficiencies, his ridiculous ability to get to the ball.

Clemons is the opposite.

He's good at attacking, knows how to diagnose plays quickly and is always around the ball. His problem is that he can't get the ball or locate it or cause turnovers. He does have some trouble breaking down in tackling, but to say he hasn't improved or that he is easily replaceable is outright stupid to say.

I'd like to discuss the offensive line. I'm actually starting to like Martins play on the left side vs the right. Problem is I don't think we can start garner next year on the right. Does that mean we should bring Long back and kick Martin back to the right?

Need to start looking at free agent tackles/gaurds. If we do in fact let Long walk, we will have to fix one of LG or RT in free agency.

Nice write up, although i think an argument could be made that right tackle still needs looked at, and that if brian hartline changes his last three steps. He has a td on that bomb. This isnt tecmo bowl where the receivers are required to run on a solid line, its okay to deviate from the straight line....

RT still needs to be looked at. However, Garner could be in the mix.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

I feel good for Coach Philbin. He has done a good job overall this year.

On the bomb to Hartline, how much of that is on Tannehill and how much is it on Hartline for locating the ball. I think both are at fault here. Hartline has to be a little bit better at moving towards the football. Last week, it looked like Tannehill overthrew Hartline. But, if you look at it. Hartline looks like hes looking to locate the ball too early and slows up. Making it look like an overthrow.

By the way, good for Randy Starks getting a win during what was tough week for him personally.

On the bomb to Hartline, how much of that is on Tannehill and how much is it on Hartline for locating the ball. I think both are at fault here. Hartline has to be a little bit better at moving towards the football. Last week, it looked like Tannehill overthrew Hartline. But, if you look at it. Hartline looks like hes looking to locate the ball too early and slows up. Making it look like an overthrow.

I think a lot of it is on hartline... I thought that was a good pass. IMO, the better wr's in the league make that catch.

Back
Top Bottom