Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 5

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Positives
* Ryan Tannehill was an excellent game manager versus an outstanding defense. Mike Zimmer is one of the best in the business and once again, RT kept his team in the correct plays and on schedule.
* Tannehill was awesome sliding around in the pocket. I am impressed with how he is moving around the pocket allowing his receivers to operate and get open. His pocket presence is off the charts. When he had to throw on the run, he was spot on.
* I thought this was RT's best game in terms of ball handling.
* I love Sherman's commitment to the run. Perhaps, Tannehill could have been unshackled, but I like the fact he stuck with the run. We will talk later about the end of the game scenarios, but I like how Sherman pounded the rock.
* Scoring a TD off of the Starks pick
* Defense...wow
* Winning TO differential 3 to 2.
* Red Zone Defense...the D buckled down early and forced FG's at crucial spots. Might be most vital part of the game.
* Cincinnati was 2-14 on 3rd down...great to see the D get off of the field on 3rd down.
* Props to Kevin Coyle. Going against his old team turned out to be a huge advantage. Coyle was easily the best coach on the staff today.
* Randy Starks was amazing today. Starks is one of the most underrated defensive linemen in the league. The run stopping, pass rush and pick was tremendous. He plays with power, but is very athletic.
* Cam Wake was a factor in the pass rush. Also, he dropped into coverage and made tackles (should have got credit for a forced fumble on Green). Solid game.
* Run D was lights out again.
* Quietly, Kevin Burnett was active
* Nolan Carroll. I have bashed Carroll among the best of them. However, he was solid today and showed toughness after returning from friendly-fire hit.
* Sean Smith. He looks like a new player. Two straight weeks of solid play. He is becoming a factor weekly.
* Reshead Jones was active with some big sticks and the icing pick at the end of the game. Great to see a DB actually catching the ball.
* Props to the team dealing with adversity of a terrible officiating crew.

Negatives
* Marcus Thigpen must start to catch punts. He has let far too many balls hit the ground losing field position. Today, his passiveness today cost a turnover when the ball hit Jones. Thigpen's TD from week one seems like a long time ago.
* Lane's fumble. It cost a scoring opportunity in a game that was very close in the end.
* Short yardage offense. The Fins had chances to keep the chains moving and could not pick up three feet. I will give a physical defense like the Bengals credit, but they won in those situations far too much.
* Walt Coleman. He blew call after call. What a brutal crew.
* Charles Clay: a drop that could have got Miami out of their own end. The ball hit him between the 4 and 2. Running out of bounds at the end of regulation. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
* Late game management. I have been blistered with this today, but I stand by my critique. Find the thread and join in. Here are my issues... 1) Once again, we attempt a long FG when a punt was in order based on how the D was playing (and Andy Dalton). It swayed momentum again this week. 2) The Fins tempted the football gods by being so aggressive with the pass in the end. I feel (like the Arizona game) that the defense was leading the way. Put them in the best situation possible to win the game for the team. Run Reggie Bush...your best offensive player and force the Bengals to use their timeouts. They should have had the ball at the 20 with no timeouts with just under a minute left with proper clock management. 3) I hold Charles Clay and the staff responsible for him running out of bounds. It needed to be ingrained on the player to stay in bounds. If there were issues he could not take on those marching orders, another player should have been used.

Overall Assessment
* Solid game planning all around. Coyle was masterful. However, Sherman was steady today going against a physical Bengals D and an outstanding DC in Mike Zimmer. The Bengals are fundamentally sound on defense and I think Miami was effective against them.
* Props to Coach Philbin and his staff for having the team mentally ready after two tough losses. Also, give a hand to the team leaders for keeping the team afloat. Great to see a bounce back performance from week 3 and 4.
* While it was white-knuckled, it was good to see the team close a game out. Show progress.
* The Dolphins have to win the turnover differential. Plus 1 today. If they can stay in the plus 2 or 3 they have a chance to win most games on their sked.
* The margin of error with this team is thin. They must be effective in such crucial areas like field position, red zone D, 3rd downs and turnover differential.
* Walt Coleman and his crew is brutal
* Miami beat a solid team today on the road. Quality win.
* The Fins played a very physical team and play another in the Rams next week. Good timing for the bye after next week.

clay been on stupid pills this year.

gaffney in a few weeks.

glad we found our QB.

Good assessment. I still think Sherman gets a little too conservative sometimes. It seems like when Tannehill and the offense is starting to heat up throwing the football Sherman goes right back to the run. I just think Sherman is being safe with his rookie QB and we really dont have the horses to keep throwing it so I'm not gonna complain a win is a win. I think we should bring a kicker in this week. Gonna be nice to have Gaffney next week.

Coyle raped the **** out of zimmerman and he did wonders with our secondary against suck an explosive passing team.

Gaffney will be interesting esp after the bye.

Walt Coleman and crew was brutal.............absolutely agree

I also left out in my original post that I will miss "Whodey" posting on the game day thread. I know so much more about the Bengals now because of him.

Hayden, wasn't one of your measures going into the season on Philbin was how the guys played for him?

This was the first game I missed, but that guy seems to have the team playing well. I'd say, above thier
depth in some cases. I think this is a team that is ready to be treated like men, and they are acting like it.
There are some sheer talent defacits that we have to deal with, but, the staff seems to rise to the challenge.
The team is fitting into it's skin. There have been some heartbreakers, but I think overall, we're playing over
our heads, and that has EVERYTHING to do with the staff. Phlibin down.

I'm starting to get excited.

Hayden, wasn't one of your measures going into the season on Philbin was how the guys played for him?

This was the first game I missed, but that guy seems to have the team playing well. I'd say, above thier
depth in some cases. I think this is a team that is ready to be treated like men, and they are acting like it.
There are some sheer talent defacits that we have to deal with, but, the staff seems to rise to the challenge.
The team is fitting into it's skin. There have been some heartbreakers, but I think overall, we're playing over
our heads, and that has EVERYTHING to do with the staff. Phlibin down.

I'm starting to get excited.

Yes. That was a major part of how I thought we should assess Joe. They are playing hard for him in an intelligent fashion. Credit to Philbin and his staff.

This is a game we typically lose (especially when the refs are against us all day!). Great win

I Just wanna know how Cincy has a good defense? I keep seeing that on this site a lot today. Everyone Cincy has played except Jacksonville has moved the ball on them relatively easy. Cincy's D is average.

I Just wanna know how Cincy has a good defense? I keep seeing that on this site a lot today. Everyone Cincy has played except Jacksonville has moved the ball on them relatively easy. Cincy's D is average.

I suppose you are right about that. I guess I thought their sack totals were impressive. Geno Atkins is a great lineman. Mike Zimmer is a tough DC to compete against. Road game too...

Back
Top Bottom