Here is where I will give Joe a TON of credit | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here is where I will give Joe a TON of credit

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Ben Volin ‏@BenVolinPBP
Interesting that Philbin took the blame for Clay going out of bounds: "that falls back on me probably not preparing the play well enough"

Myself and a handful of others argued with dozens of Finheaven members about the end of the game management of Coach Philbin. Today, Joe took responsibility for Charles Clay running out of bounds.

What I find to be a great piece of coaching is that Joe is taking a "bullet" for one of his players. Clay needed to stay in bounds and should know better. Saying something like this can gain additional credibility in the locker room. Also, this is a shrewd coaching move of taking the heat off of a struggling Charles Clay and taking the "pressure" on his shoulders as the HC. While Clay has been disappointing, he still can help this team. Perhaps, Joe making this simple statement helps get something out of Clay.

I do not want to litigate the wisdom of throwing the ball or going to Clay in that spot. That was yesterday. Here, I give a ton of credit to Coach Philbin in his locker room management skills.

Let's see how Clay plays over the next month.

I think Clay is so rusty that since he got a big play ball after not seeing it much at all, he just was not thinking about it.

The good thing about mistakes is you learn from them, especially the glaring ones. Probly not going to see that again and the rookies will take notice in the film room breakdown.

Philbin is a guy who see's the big picture and prepares his players week in week out. I think its becoming obvious in GB that they miss him.

I think Clay is so rusty that since he got a big play ball after not seeing it much at all, he just was not thinking about it.

The good thing about mistakes is you learn from them, especially the glaring ones. Probly not going to see that again and the rookies will take notice in the film room breakdown.

Philbin is a guy who see's the big picture and prepares his players week in week out. I think its becoming obvious in GB that they miss him.

I was pushing for Philbin from the beginning and wanted no part of Fisher. I would like to know where everyone who said Philbin was a product of GB and not that GB was a product of Philbin is right now.

Charles Clay is going to get his arse chewed out like no tomorrow for that little play. You saw Sherman tear into him during Hard Knocks, and it was probably like that AND MORE during Monday's film session. And I'm sure Sherman wasn't the only one to get on him about that. But if you watch Sherman's presser, he acknowledges Caly's mistake but doesn't necessarily tear into him publicly. Similarly, Joe takes the blame. Those kinds of things are meant to stay in-house, and that's what builds trust between players and coaches. They see that their coaches are saving them from public embarrassment/humiliation (which Hard Knocks didn't...probably why many players were against it). Get them accountable to each other, and treat it like family.

On a more specific note, I got the sense from the brief clips on HK that Charles Clay (sort of like Egnew) doesn't respond well to the chewing out. Some players feed off that, others need more of a "mentor" approach - hopefully Campbell can get both those guys right.

Leaders don't have to always holler and fistpump.

There's a place for everything.

Actually, he sounds like a baseball manager there, really.
AND
He uses what I call the "Derek Frosty" (The store manager when a young Goonboss
had his first shot at management as a trainee.)

First thing he said was "Welcome to the Domino's Pizza Management Training Program.
EVERYTHING is now your fault." I still believe that, and have adhered to that philosiphy
at any leadership position I've ever been in.

Clay should've known better but I can also see how his instincts might have told him to get that first down at any cost. It's happened to other players before.

Clay should've known better but I can also see how his instincts might have told him to get that first down at any cost. It's happened to other players before.

He probably thought he had it on the outside. He gets the first down and the game is over, even if he goes out of bounds to get it.

Well it was good to see him catch a few balls he needed that and we needed another threat sol now lets get Gaffney up to speed and Armstrong catching a couple and then we will be in business.

The thing about Clay running out of bounds is that it's common sense. It doesn't matter if you're a HoF or a 3rd string TE. He should have known better.

I like that Philbin takes responsibility for it though.

Philbin took the blame but believe me, Clay got an ass chewing behind closed doors. As well he should since he made such a boneheaded play.

Wow, one can really over-analyze basic coach speak, to the point where it's now being passed off as infinite wisdom?

Joe didn't say anything new. He's used that exact same line for every deficiency the team has in every interview.

The only subtly that wasn't caught, was him using the line to basically say nothing about Clay.

Clay made a peewee mistake. Sherman will take of the dirty work.

The thing about Clay running out of bounds is that it's common sense. It doesn't matter if you're a HoF or a 3rd string TE. He should have known better.

I like that Philbin takes responsibility for it though.

Definitely there is no arguing that. But it in Clay's defense, he was trying to get the first down, seals the game.
I think that's what Philbin mentioned too.
But for sure, it was an inexcusable mistake in that situation.
I think his struggling play caused him to reach for that first down when it was never really there to be had.

Back
Top Bottom