Hierarchy of Needs? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hierarchy of Needs?

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
What are you most hopeful Miami changes this offseason? Here is my list:

1. Mike Tannebaum and Chris Grier fired.

2. Draft QB in the first round.

3. Defensive scheme change/expierienced DC.

4. A real OC gets hired.

5. New Lg, C, RG,RT. Tunsil is the only one who deserves another season.

4. A real OC gets hired.

Spot on on #1

1. Trade down and pick up multiple draft picks. (if not)
2. Draft a QB

I would also like a safety that can has range and can cover, but we have so many holes to fill it probably can't be done this off-season. Better to address the OL or get a QB if a decent one falls.

You can't just give up on everyone after one bad season. Nobody would ever get anywhere if they did. For everyone crying for guards, we have to see what Jesse Davis can become. Do we just automatically know right now he can't be a starter in the NFL? That's too hasty, we also have Asiata red shirted. Do we just say it's 100% impossible these guys start for us and just keep drafting guards? I think this is foolish, emotional business. We also have Brendal, could he be our center or is it impossible? I think we already picked up James 5th year option so he's likely our RT like it or not. I'm not saying all of these guys will pan out, highly unlikely, but just building a new O-line from scratch when we have some guys developing is a ridiculous idea. More needs to go into it. Also, Ryan Tannehill is the starting QB in 2018 unless he re-injures his knee. Anyone expecting a 1st round QB is kidding themselves and wasting their time talking about it. Yeah, we could draft one later but look at the list somebody posted of the non 1st round QB's selected and how they've done over the last x amount of years. Great idea with horrible returns. Here's what I feel we need:

1. A real TE, not sure how you get this as the guy you really want here is rare just not Julius Thomas.
2. A good inside runner, we need to replace Ajayi. I like the RB's but we need a guy who has a CHANCE to get that 4th and 1 on his own.
3. Solid guard (don't break the bank) to compete with Davis and Asiata.
4. Pass rushers, We can't count on Wake at 36 and beyond it's unrealistic. This is what I'd grab in the first and hope he and Harris could pair up for years.
5. DC, this may be hasty but if Gase is going to leave the defense 100% to the DC I'd like to see a real experienced (ex head coach type) guy run it.
6. I'm losing faith in Alonso really fast. Seems like one cut easily causes him to miss a tackle or get beaten in coverage. I'm not sure what we can do here but if he continues to look so poor OLB may be on the table. We have some guys worth a look first (Chase Allen, Stephone Anthony).

The bottom line is you can't do everything in one offseason and there's no way a year 3 regime who lost it's starting QB is going to blow up the whole thing. We have to keep things realistic.

For everyone crying for guards, we have to see what Jesse Davis can become. Do we just automatically know right now he can't be a starter in the NFL? That's too hasty, we also have Asiata red shirted. Do we just say it's 100% impossible these guys start for us and just keep drafting guards? I think this is foolish, emotional business. We also have Brendal, could he be our center or is it impossible? I think we already picked up James 5th year option so he's likely our RT like it or not. I'm not saying all of these guys will pan out, highly unlikely, but just building a new O-line from scratch when we have some guys developing is a ridiculous idea.

You make a good point, but IMO James should be cut, along with Pouncey, and Bushrod. I'd also trade Tunsil; he's not worth his 1st round draft status. (Maybe keep him as a back-up Guard?) However, the real fix would be to change the o-line philosophy to an old-school big, mean, nasty, physically dominating style of o-line. Screw that finesse garbage; they're consistently pushed around by physical defenses.

You make a good point, but IMO James should be cut, along with Pouncey, and Bushrod. I'd also trade Tunsil; he's not worth his 1st round draft status. (Maybe keep him as a back-up Guard?) However, the real fix would be to change the o-line philosophy to an old-school big, mean, nasty, physically dominating style of o-line. Screw that finesse garbage; they're consistently pushed around by physical defenses.

Agreed on physical style but how do we know Davis and Asiata aren't answers for that? I agree on Pouncey and Bushrod though. Pouncey doesn't look to have it anymore and Bushrod is old. I'm curious to see if Gase tries to ride Pouncey for another year. The site will implode but he really seems to love him for whatever reason, it will be interesting. You can't move on from Tunsil after one season at LT and I think James will be penciled in also.

4. A real OC gets hired.

Why even get your hopes up as none of that will happen, especially a qb in round one. Also other than draft position or a shared vice, what has Tunsil done to earn a free pass???

Couple of things we have to keep in mind.

Mike T and Chris Greer are not going anywhere....Gase runs his staff and I doubt you will see many changes to it with the exception of adding an offensive line coach. Just the reality of losing QB17 before the season starts. The organization did what they could to salvage the season with the addition of Cutler and it didn't work. In the end...Tannehill getting hurt and all the other crap the team has had to deal with this season makes this season basically a nothing in the eyes of the decision makers.

Priorities will be player subtraction and addition.

1. Get smarter players on both sides of the ball. One of the biggest issues I see is the inability of many of the players to even execute plays, make reads, or even have a general understanding of the situation. This means we will be moving on from a few guys.

2. Cut: Pouncey, Bushrod, J. Thomas, Wake....we will have to wait a year on Alonzo and Branch because of their contracts, but they are failing...the only way I would keep Kiko is if he never has to cover a player again. I think it may be time to move on from Wake...I love the player, but he has finally lost a step and is getting almost no pass rush expect once every few games.

3. Add a two interior lineman...a smart center and a guard. I think you can make something work with the other lineman at the other guard position, but Bushrod and Pouncey need to be replaced.

4. Add a QB with some upside...3rd round seems like a nice spot and there should be someone to work with available.

I think that is where you start...again, moves have to realistic and you need to allow Gase to bring in the type of players he wants. Landry is still a question, I still see a player struggle with option routes, but I still want him on my team. I hope he starts to study the playbook and become a film junkie by the end of the season because his physical talent is legit, but his mental game needs work.

I'm in the QB camp.

If we are in position to take one of the top QBs, we need to draft him. I dont want us to trade away the farm, but I wouldnt mind us moving up a couple of spots if we need to.

We have ZERO depth at QB, the most important position on the team, and we arent sure Tanny is going to be 100%. We cant skimp at QB.

Look at it as an investment. If Tanny is back to 100% and all is well, we have a nice insurance policy in a guy we can develop for all of 2018. If we want, we can flip that QB to another team in 2019 or 20 and get our pick back, maybe more. Rinse and repeat.

Drafting high gives us the golden opportunity to turn a weakness into a strength.

I cant deny we have other pressing needs, but I for one dont want us tanking another season because Brandon Doughty and Doug Fales are our back-up QBs if Ryan goes down again.

Bite the bullet, spend the pick if your guy is there. If not, sure, then draft one in the second, problem is, there are so many QB hungry teams this year, anything after a second round pick probably wont even have the upside Doughty gives us.

After almost two decades,we are still trying to fix the same things....Good God!!!!...It's the same thing over and over......When does this turd sandwich of a merry go around get fixed????

I think it's time for Tannenbaum and Grier to go. Most people want a roster overhaul and feel the roster is holding us back. If Gase can't coach up the guys we have, how can rely on him to coach up the next round of same duds the front office brings in?

If you even did half of #1 by Firing Tannenbaum, the other items wouldn't even be needed. Read the article someone recently posted about how bad our cap situation is and how horrid the contracts we've given out lately have been.

I want Gase fired. I hate this teams mannerisms on gameday and that is ALL on Gase
The opponent always looks fired up and we look disinterested.
I will keep on my Jim Scwhartz bandwagon to bring a new identity

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom