hoops scoops...dolphins bills | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...dolphins bills

hoops

Tua time!
Reaction score
let's start with the qb...ryan tannehill now sits at even in the td to int ratio thru 15 games and 14 full games as a starter at 12 and 12...going into the season i said that if he finished with a even td to int ratio considering what he had to work with he would have had a heck of a season...imo there has been growth in his game in the pocket and stepping up against pressure and of late he has been using his legs more and showing off his athleticism which many it seemed started questioning if he possessed...

i hope the he's no athlete stuff has been put to rest...miami decided that after watching buffalo get massacred last week by the read option to implement it heavily in todays gameplan and while ryan is no rg3 when it comes to burst and quick acceleration around the corner he is fully capable of getting into the 2nd level and reading his blocks to maximize gains with his legs...and he did a lot of that today showing off that 4.6 speed and athleticism...

that said i know the read option is the current fad in the league and it's making headway but i'd like sherman to be more judicial with it's usage so my qb can suit up every week...tannehill took a lot of contact today and a lot of hard contact at that i can tell watching him he doesn't like to slide he's a max gain guy with his legs mindset and in college that may have worked in the pros it's a recipe for disaster the more you go to that well...

as for his actual play stepped up nicely early in the game against wide rush pressure but threw a seed behind fasano down the middle that should have been a completion...yet another example of his accuracy needing to get a little better when he executes everything else flawlessly...that play was textbook til he threw too far inside to fasano...

many people might say that throw off pa down the middle to hartline was thrown over the wrong shoulder but i would say that play illustrates exactly what this offense needs...a better #1 option as in a true one that while tracking that ball down the field can go up in the air and adjust his body to high point the football and come down with it for 6...that balls catchable all day long hartline did a poor job tracking the footballs flight and adjusting to it and made a half ass effort to just put an arm out late and get a hand on it...that should have been 6...

tannehill threw a flat out seed down the seam over the shoulder in a position where mathews could catch before the safety came over and allow for run after the catch if for not the hard contact by byrd ...heck of a play by mathews to secure the catch and just a beautiful ball by the qb...starting to notice that mathews can win early against man coverage and separate down the field especially against nickle and dime dbs...

how bout that 3rd down red zone td ball to bush...just a on a pillow placed over the shoulder throw at the sideline allowing for bush to toe tap before being forced out of bounds...you kidding me that throw was filthy...made the right read at the los bush on a lb i'm not sure if he knew the db further back on that side would come forward and then drop back out on bush on that play but i do know he threw it where only bush had a shot on the ball...and if you take a look at that play bush was his only win option...

that kids had so many games now where he hasn't forced things or thrown into coverage frankly i've stopped counting...and i also see where the kid has learned from his mistakes prior...case in point the red zone rollout to his weakside play in the 3rd quarter i think it was tannehill rolls left and squared his hips and shoulders to potential targets but he's got no options he's got a defender closing on him as he continues to the sideline earlier this year i think he tries to force something late today he just pitched the ball before going out of bounds towards the los and didn't take sure points off the board...

this qbs smart he's a leader he learns from his mistakes his decision making is spot on i can tell his teammates respect him and believe in him...broken record but we've just scratched the surface this year...

reggie bush now that's more like it...i saw a lot more north and south and decisive play from bush today...he converted a 3rd and 2 today where i don't know how he pulled it off it was houdini like there was absolutely no day light on the play...that was a special over the shoulder catch also and awareness of where the sideline was for the td...bush was outstanding today...i've been a big let bush go guy after this season but the one thing i do believe is that if we upgrade the wr talent and get these defenses to stop loading the box so much bush would be more decisive then he's been at times this season and be more consistent b/t the tackles...

that said if bush does go i feel confident that lamar miller can handle 12-15 carries next year per game...i say that because lamar miller is 218 lbs he has good balance excellent acceleration and burst and he seems to be a guy that once he picks a hole he gets vertical...i think with an offseason in the strength and conditioning program and hitting the books to know the o like the back of his hand miller can be a lead back on this team...his pass pro will get better in time also imo and he's a future weapon as a receiver out of the backfield...it's just time the kid decides to take his pro career seriously...the talent is absolutely there

jonathon martin with a very good game today...seems to be getting more and more comfortable at left tackle also he's a better run blocker on the left side where his game can be more about finesse and movement then overpowering guys...martins coming on nicely and he sprung some things in the running game today...i also like that he's got a little nastiness to him and competes on every snap no matter how silly he may have looked the play prior...

mike pouncey come on guys 300 lb centers should not be able to move that way...he's leading rbs on his backside 20 yards downfield and gets out the perimeters of the field like no center in the league...i think today was the first time i've seen him lose a one on one pass pro matchup also when dareus beat him off the ball at the los for a sack...best center in football...maybe best interior move athlete in the league...

armon binns for a guy that's only been here a couple weeks sure did convert some 3rd downs today and it looked like tannehill was comfortable with him...a little more burst and quick twitch than i saw a week ago fell down on one ball where tannehill wanted for him to release down the field for an over the shoulder touch pass but all in all kid looked serviceable...

michael egnew got a sniff or two early...figured they wouldn't look his way considering it seems to me like it takes a while for tannehill to actually trust anyone anyways saw him drop into the flat off the los on one play and then run a wheel route against a lb on another both of which i saw no burst no nothing really...when he turned on the wheel route the lb was wearing him like drapes...only a few plays but that's what i saw...

on defense kevin burnett showed really nice recognition of personnel and the confusion on d on a wildcat timeout call...the d was lost and burnett saved us from a long td right down the middle of the field...

defense finally forced some turnovers too little too late but good to see we can actually take the ball away on defense...i was starting to wonder the way things have gone of late...come on guys reshad jones is the playmaker on this defense in the back half...it seems like if a defender gets the ball it's reshad jones every time...his man to man coverage has gotten much better he still takes some suspect angles against the run at times but his playmaking the way he reads his keys and flies to the football the physicality and attitude he brings to this defense is exactly what we need...he's a top level safety as far as i'm concerned and he deserves pro bowl consideration for his play if you ask me...reads the quick slant on the perimeter jumps up in the throwing lane and not only gets a hand on the ball but picks it off in the air on the deflection...that's big time and difference maker type stuff...

probably a good thing to be honest this team didn't go into next week playing for a trip to the playoffs with some help...the corner situation right now is dire and against tom brady i think we would be in some real trouble running out mccann and patterson if we had to...patterson was pretty solid today but i've seen enough of that guy to feel that's not gonna last long...and teams will attack him...that goes for mccann also...

want to know how a spiller run springs for 63 yards or whatever??? take a look at chris clemons on the play who comes up clean and free and as soon as spiller opens his hips laterally clemons is cooked and left diving for air...free safety has to limit that run or at minimum get some decent contact so that the help can arrive...as it was olivier vernon somehow closes enough to get a hand on spiller and slow his momentum enough for sean smith to come off his block and make the tackle...i thought for sure when i was watching it and spiller was never impeded by clemons that was 6...

jared odrick i see ya big guy...odricks come on the last half of the season across the board...he's the most consistent interior pass rusher this team has and i loved the effort to come off the edge on the right side flush the qb left all the way to the sideline and pursue the ball all the way out of bounds and make a diving tackle at the sideline...that's what i'm talking about...

randy starks if you're getting one on ones again like earlier this season you need to win them...and i feel like of late you're not winning as much...got to be honest and say i've seen this from starks before...

one week left a shot at a .500 finish unlikely but a shot got a rookie qb who limits mistakes and has a lot of untapped upside and potential yet who still guided us to a better record than last season and a coach that the players play for evident in that thru 15 games this teams only layed down 1 time...got a ton of draft picks and money in free agency hoping like heck it gets allocated wisely...all in all i'll take it...i'm as optimistic as i've been in a long long time

Have a good feeling about this guy....

492926_display_image.jpg

081012_spt_fins_ae_009.JPG

Attachments

• 492926_display_image.jpg
    492926_display_image.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 36
100% agree on Miller and Odrick. I imagine Lamar exploding after an NFL off-season. And Odrick's play has me feeling really good about a more consistent push into the pocket; he looks great (finally). It's funny how fun/important these 'meaningless' late-season games can be to phans.

Perfect point on the Hartline play. I feel like he is more intent on drawing pass interference than making a tough catch. He always falls down on deep balls, another reason for the pass interference drawing attempts. Its really annoying.

Follow me on Twitter @vlatifi

I am very, very excited about our future and that hasn't been the case for a long time with this team. We have the right coaching staff in place, very impressed with this group and they obviously know how to develop quarterbacks. That Tannehill has a higher qb rating than Luck, with less talent around him, is impressive. Right now, he has the game manager part down. With an upgrade at wide receiver and tight end, we will see a more dynamic playmaker.

Good write up. I agree about Egnew. Not much of a sample but he looked sluggish. He'll never beat anyone outside in this league yet we used him split far left on one play.

Just use him like preseason, over the middle in more of a traditional tight end role. If he flops, you'll have more verification. I have no idea what they found out about Egnew considering the way he was utilized today.

I was looking forward to this all day hoops since I couldn't watch the game myself. I trust what you write, sounds like we played a good game. Definite hope for next season with where the most glaring holes are

It's really amazing Tannehill was able to get his TD:Int ratio back to even considering how lopsided it was early on and the lack of talent in the WR corp. Future is looking good.

Lots of good points. That near TD to Hartline was really more of an example of our need for a true number one than any sort of inaccuracy on Ryan's part. Vernon definitely saved a TD on that Spiller run. Martin did have a very strong game. Good breakdown. Good win.

worst bills season in a long time. hopefully thurman's "news" is big for us. congrats on the win.

let's start with the qb...ryan tannehill now sits at even in the td to int ratio thru 15 games and 14 full games as a starter at 12 and 12...going into the season i said that if he finished with a even td to int ratio considering what he had to work with he would have had a heck of a season...imo there has been growth in his game in the pocket and stepping up against pressure and of late he has been using his legs more and showing off his athleticism which many it seemed started questioning if he possessed...

i hope the he's no athlete stuff has been put to rest...miami decided that after watching buffalo get massacred last week by the read option to implement it heavily in todays gameplan and while ryan is no rg3 when it comes to burst and quick acceleration around the corner he is fully capable of getting into the 2nd level and reading his blocks to maximize gains with his legs...and he did a lot of that today showing off that 4.6 speed and athleticism...

that said i know the read option is the current fad in the league and it's making headway but i'd like sherman to be more judicial with it's usage so my qb can suit up every week...tannehill took a lot of contact today and a lot of hard contact at that i can tell watching him he doesn't like to slide he's a max gain guy with his legs mindset and in college that may have worked in the pros it's a recipe for disaster the more you go to that well...

as for his actual play stepped up nicely early in the game against wide rush pressure but threw a seed behind fasano down the middle that should have been a completion...yet another example of his accuracy needing to get a little better when he executes everything else flawlessly...that play was textbook til he threw too far inside to fasano...

many people might say that throw off pa down the middle to hartline was thrown over the wrong shoulder but i would say that play illustrates exactly what this offense needs...a better #1 option as in a true one that while tracking that ball down the field can go up in the air and adjust his body to high point the football and come down with it for 6...that balls catchable all day long hartline did a poor job tracking the footballs flight and adjusting to it and made a half ass effort to just put an arm out late and get a hand on it...that should have been 6...

tannehill threw a flat out seed down the seam over the shoulder in a position where mathews could catch before the safety came over and allow for run after the catch if for not the hard contact by byrd ...heck of a play by mathews to secure the catch and just a beautiful ball by the qb...starting to notice that mathews can win early against man coverage and separate down the field especially against nickle and dime dbs...

how bout that 3rd down red zone td ball to bush...just a on a pillow placed over the shoulder throw at the sideline allowing for bush to toe tap before being forced out of bounds...you kidding me that throw was filthy...made the right read at the los bush on a lb i'm not sure if he knew the db further back on that side would come forward and then drop back out on bush on that play but i do know he threw it where only bush had a shot on the ball...and if you take a look at that play bush was his only win option...

that kids had so many games now where he hasn't forced things or thrown into coverage frankly i've stopped counting...and i also see where the kid has learned from his mistakes prior...case in point the red zone rollout to his weakside play in the 3rd quarter i think it was tannehill rolls left and squared his hips and shoulders to potential targets but he's got no options he's got a defender closing on him as he continues to the sideline earlier this year i think he tries to force something late today he just pitched the ball before going out of bounds towards the los and didn't take sure points off the board...

this qbs smart he's a leader he learns from his mistakes his decision making is spot on i can tell his teammates respect him and believe in him...broken record but we've just scratched the surface this year...

reggie bush now that's more like it...i saw a lot more north and south and decisive play from bush today...he converted a 3rd and 2 today where i don't know how he pulled it off it was houdini like there was absolutely no day light on the play...that was a special over the shoulder catch also and awareness of where the sideline was for the td...bush was outstanding today...i've been a big let bush go guy after this season but the one thing i do believe is that if we upgrade the wr talent and get these defenses to stop loading the box so much bush would be more decisive then he's been at times this season and be more consistent b/t the tackles...

that said if bush does go i feel confident that lamar miller can handle 12-15 carries next year per game...i say that because lamar miller is 218 lbs he has good balance excellent acceleration and burst and he seems to be a guy that once he picks a hole he gets vertical...i think with an offseason in the strength and conditioning program and hitting the books to know the o like the back of his hand miller can be a lead back on this team...his pass pro will get better in time also imo and he's a future weapon as a receiver out of the backfield...it's just time the kid decides to take his pro career seriously...the talent is absolutely there

jonathon martin with a very good game today...seems to be getting more and more comfortable at left tackle also he's a better run blocker on the left side where his game can be more about finesse and movement then overpowering guys...martins coming on nicely and he sprung some things in the running game today...i also like that he's got a little nastiness to him and competes on every snap no matter how silly he may have looked the play prior...

mike pouncey come on guys 300 lb centers should not be able to move that way...he's leading rbs on his backside 20 yards downfield and gets out the perimeters of the field like no center in the league...i think today was the first time i've seen him lose a one on one pass pro matchup also when dareus beat him off the ball at the los for a sack...best center in football...maybe best interior move athlete in the league...

armon binns for a guy that's only been here a couple weeks sure did convert some 3rd downs today and it looked like tannehill was comfortable with him...a little more burst and quick twitch than i saw a week ago fell down on one ball where tannehill wanted for him to release down the field for an over the shoulder touch pass but all in all kid looked serviceable...

michael egnew got a sniff or two early...figured they wouldn't look his way considering it seems to me like it takes a while for tannehill to actually trust anyone anyways saw him drop into the flat off the los on one play and then run a wheel route against a lb on another both of which i saw no burst no nothing really...when he turned on the wheel route the lb was wearing him like drapes...only a few plays but that's what i saw...

on defense kevin burnett showed really nice recognition of personnel and the confusion on d on a wildcat timeout call...the d was lost and burnett saved us from a long td right down the middle of the field...

defense finally forced some turnovers too little too late but good to see we can actually take the ball away on defense...i was starting to wonder the way things have gone of late...come on guys reshad jones is the playmaker on this defense in the back half...it seems like if a defender gets the ball it's reshad jones every time...his man to man coverage has gotten much better he still takes some suspect angles against the run at times but his playmaking the way he reads his keys and flies to the football the physicality and attitude he brings to this defense is exactly what we need...he's a top level safety as far as i'm concerned and he deserves pro bowl consideration for his play if you ask me...reads the quick slant on the perimeter jumps up in the throwing lane and not only gets a hand on the ball but picks it off in the air on the deflection...that's big time and difference maker type stuff...

probably a good thing to be honest this team didn't go into next week playing for a trip to the playoffs with some help...the corner situation right now is dire and against tom brady i think we would be in some real trouble running out mccann and patterson if we had to...patterson was pretty solid today but i've seen enough of that guy to feel that's not gonna last long...and teams will attack him...that goes for mccann also...

want to know how a spiller run springs for 63 yards or whatever??? take a look at chris clemons on the play who comes up clean and free and as soon as spiller opens his hips laterally clemons is cooked and left diving for air...free safety has to limit that run or at minimum get some decent contact so that the help can arrive...as it was olivier vernon somehow closes enough to get a hand on spiller and slow his momentum enough for sean smith to come off his block and make the tackle...i thought for sure when i was watching it and spiller was never impeded by clemons that was 6...

jared odrick i see ya big guy...odricks come on the last half of the season across the board...he's the most consistent interior pass rusher this team has and i loved the effort to come off the edge on the right side flush the qb left all the way to the sideline and pursue the ball all the way out of bounds and make a diving tackle at the sideline...that's what i'm talking about...

randy starks if you're getting one on ones again like earlier this season you need to win them...and i feel like of late you're not winning as much...got to be honest and say i've seen this from starks before...

one week left a shot at a .500 finish unlikely but a shot got a rookie qb who limits mistakes and has a lot of untapped upside and potential yet who still guided us to a better record than last season and a coach that the players play for evident in that thru 15 games this teams only layed down 1 time...got a ton of draft picks and money in free agency hoping like heck it gets allocated wisely...all in all i'll take it...i'm as optimistic as i've been in a long long time

I really enjoyed your post game analysis this year. Thank you for taking the time. I think signing bush is an absolute necessity. Once Tannehill has some down field targets, Bush will find more room to run.
I really hope we hold on to our good and great players and build on what we have for next year.
Next year needs:
Pass rush DE
Another Brandon Marshall type reciever, and a speed guy that has toughness and can actually catch
Upgrade CB with man to man cover corner talent
A ball hawk safety that can also decleat.

Back
Top Bottom