Horrible Moderating | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Horrible Moderating

Celtkin said:
You're right. It is a thankless job and the MODS and Admins only seem to get attention when something goes wrong.

Anyone whose been in a position of authority (including law enforcement officers, teachers, parents, etc) knows a little bit about how it must be for them. In essence, the MODS have the unenviable job of babysitting every one of us. Unlike the casual visitor, they don't have the luxury of skipping over posts that don't personally interest them but instead, have to review every post of every thread.

Part of their responsibility is to moderate personal disagreements, edit offensive posts, merge similar threads (countless times) and try to do all that as an impartial judge. On occassion, a broad hand is required to sweep away the rubbish and sometimes in the effort to clean things up, innocents are accidently swept away as well. It would be nice if every offense could be excised with surgical precision but in the "heat of battle", that doesn't always happen. It is on those occassions that the Admins make a judgement call to right what was done in haste. It's human nature to believe that when you are unfairly treated, the whole world should pay attention but those things really don't need to be aired in a public forum. It is that behavior that begins the inevitable death spiral for the offended, and rightfully so.

The fact is that all of us are humans and, as such, we are subject to mistakes. Thankfully, FinHeaven has a tried and proven system of checks and balances that, if given a chance, do work.

I have no doubt that every MOD and Admin here hold the same goal in mind and that is to provide a safe, fun and respectable place for fans of all ages to enjoy.

Most of us here have had previous experiences in forums that are less cared for by its MODS. Name calling and off-topic posts abound. I, for one, am happy to have found FinHeaven and, as such, will accept the few small mistakes that are (rarely) made in exchange for such a great (free) place to post and chat.

*Climbing down off my soapbox*
:yeahthat: :bling: :soapbox: :rockon: Rock On Dude!!:victory:

Celtkin said:
You're right. It is a thankless job and the MODS and Admins only seem to get attention when something goes wrong.

Anyone whose been in a position of authority (including law enforcement officers, teachers, parents, etc) knows a little bit about how it must be for them. In essence, the MODS have the unenviable job of babysitting every one of us. Unlike the casual visitor, they don't have the luxury of skipping over posts that don't personally interest them but instead, have to review every post of every thread.

Part of their responsibility is to moderate personal disagreements, edit offensive posts, merge similar threads (countless times) and try to do all that as an impartial judge. On occassion, a broad hand is required to sweep away the rubbish and sometimes in the effort to clean things up, innocents are accidently swept away as well. It would be nice if every offense could be excised with surgical precision but in the "heat of battle", that doesn't always happen. It is on those occassions that the Admins make a judgement call to right what was done in haste. It's human nature to believe that when you are unfairly treated, the whole world should pay attention but those things really don't need to be aired in a public forum. It is that behavior that begins the inevitable death spiral for the offended, and rightfully so.

The fact is that all of us are humans and, as such, we are subject to mistakes. Thankfully, FinHeaven has a tried and proven system of checks and balances that, if given a chance, do work.

I have no doubt that every MOD and Admin here hold the same goal in mind and that is to provide a safe, fun and respectable place for fans of all ages to enjoy.

Most of us here have had previous experiences in forums that are less cared for by its MODS. Name calling and off-topic posts abound. I, for one, am happy to have found FinHeaven and, as such, will accept the few small mistakes that are (rarely) made in exchange for such a great (free) place to post and chat.

*Climbing down off my soapbox*

WELL SAID.....just say thanks for the great site and enjoy it. There isn't any need to take everything so literally.

Celtkin said:
It is a thankless job and the MODS and Admins only seem to get attention when something goes wrong.

It is a for the most part a thankless job, but, wouldn't someone know that before they decide to take the position? I have never complained about the Mods until my Rick Spielman thread was closed/banned. As long as my problem is taken care of in a reasonable time frame I will be fine. Of course I am going to be upset when I am treated unfairly. Like you said it is human nature.

CashInFist said:
As long as my problem is taken care of in a reasonable time frame I will be fine. Of course I am going to be upset when I am treated unfairly. Like you said it is human nature.

:yeahthat:

paulpatkline said:
While we are at it AJ, could someone tell me why I got banned! My user name is Stork48. I have not been able to get on FH since last saturday! I recieved no warning, no information about what I have apparantly done. I ICQ'ed you and heard nothing back. I emailed Muck two days ago and heard nothing back! It would atleast be polite to inform me of why!

Thank you for your response in advance!

Stork48

Hello ! Bueller?

I for one appreciate the jobs the mods have done, however I wonder if you would say the same things if YOU were the one that got banned for the wrong reasons.

Fair is fair. When anyone does something wrong they need to be called for it. Sorry if it is harsh, but mods have accepted a duty, a responsibility, just like police officers etc. They should be held up to a standard higher, not lower, than everyone else.

VanDolPhan said:
Wow looks like I missed the fun. What happened?

It was just your run of the mill misunderstanding with (IMHO) people on both sides probably pushing too hard until cooler heads prevailed. Specifically, it had to do with Jamie Sharper stuff getting merged into what was started as a Darren Sharper thread.

Back
Top Bottom