How Many Starters? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Many Starters?

This team has lacked depth at basically everything except receiver and QB for EVER! It is awesome to finally get quality that may not immediately start but will provide quality depth while learning without the major drop off in talent that has plagued this team for years!

McMillan and Asiata need to be starters Week 1.

McMillan will probably start week 3 after Misi is put on injured reserve again.

I think Harris will eventually start and Tankersley has a chance to start next year provided he develops like they think he can. If we end up with 4 starters out of this draft, say what you will about it now, but that would be outstanding. All of these guys have holes in their game...Harris is run defense, McMillan is a two-down thumper and a SOLB, he's not a Mike...Tankersley doesn't like to tackle so don't expect much run support from him...Asiata sometimes doesn't stay on his blocks long enough in the run game and sometimes over extends in pass sets (he's probably the most fixable draft pick), the two DTs don't play the run well and are more of an inside pass rush than run stuffers...

Personally I think Harris could develop into a complete DE...able to rush the passer and play the run.
I think McMillan is a two-down thumper and that's pretty much all he'll ever be. Don't expect him to all of a sudden be good in coverage.
Tankersley will be a coverage corner and no more...he's not going to be like Howard in run support.
Asiata I think could be solid for years to come.
I don't have a lot of hope for the two DTs
And the WR we took late (plus the umpteen million we signed as undrafted free agents) tells me Carroo and/or Grant better come ready to compete cause despite what Gase might be saying in public...actions say he's not happy with the players behind Landry and Stills...that includes Parker.

McMillan (a 3 down LB) will start at Mike and Asiata at guard. I have no doubts about either.

Harris will see plenty of playing time and Tankersley should eventually become our perimeter CB opposite Howard.

Which is why he wrote "should" and "eventually." It's not like Maxwell sets a high bar for them to overcome.

Well, they've got a year to get there, and then you're set. Byron's gone after this year, and Lippett would need to improve a ton.

No one knows as we haven't put on pads yet. Everyone was positive Parker was a day one starter, but got out played Mathews in camp. What I do know is it doesn't matter who starts. No position is that more true than DE, and why Harris was so valuable even if he won't be a day one starter.

We have a 4 man rotation, and all 4 players will get a lot of snaps. Last year Andre Branch has the highest % of snaps at 67, Wake had 51, Jones had 44, and Williams 38, and even Fede had 14. Harris will be on the field 30-40% of the time if he stays at #4 on the depth chart.

LB is more of the same. Kiko obviously didn't leave the field as he got 90% of snaps, but no other LB on our team saw more than 30%. 4 players followed Kiko floating around 30% of defensive snaps, so that is a 5 man rotation. So if McMillian doesn't out play Misi, witch would be a shock, he still has a very high value, and see the field a lot.

CB isn't as fluid if there are no injuries, as starters will play the majority of the snaps, but this unit didn't stay healthy last year, as both Howard and Maxwell missed significant time, and Tony Lippett played a lot, so the depth was well worth a 3rd round pick.

DT is more of a 3 man rotation, but the 3rd guy can get starter number of snaps, as Suh played 86% and Phillips played 53.

The point here is if these guys don't win starting jobs they are still going to play a lot warranting the high selection. It's more true if you accurately look back at last season. When was our defense at its worst? The last month of the season as we surrendered 30 or more points 5 of the final 6 games including the playoff game. The other 11 games of the season we only allowed 2 30 twice. What was different? In the last 6 games we had back ups starting at 5 to 6 starting positions on defense, and they obviously weren't up to snuff, so depth on D is huge.

Mcmillan and Asiata are most likely starters. Harris could start depending on our defensive alignment, but he'll rotate in and out of the game. Godchaux may end up surprising in camp as well.

LB is more of the same. Kiko obviously didn't leave the field as he got 90% of snaps, but no other LB on our team saw more than 30%. 4 players followed Kiko floating around 30% of defensive snaps, so that is a 5 man rotation. So if McMillian doesn't out play Misi, witch would be a shock, he still has a very high value, and see the field a lot.

I see Kiko as the WOLB with McMillan as the MLB.

See I think year 1 McMillan is SLB. But the question was about starters well he is a starter regardless. Harris might as well start, he's better then Branch already IMO. And yes Asiata starts.

Put McMillian at the MIKE...Timmons is an expensive rental.

I think McMillan starts day one at SLB but eventually takes over the MIKE. I also do NOT think he's just a two down player in the NFL. We all know he's a thumper in run support, but he showed flashes in coverage last year although it's not his strong suit. A guy who is a high character hard worker with tremendous leadership is usually a guy who improves the weak points in his game. I'm banking on McMillan to do so. Let's not forget he's only 20 years old.

Asiata gets in and never leaves the starting line up at some point in training camp. I really have no doubts about that. Had we picked him at 97 I don't there there would have been any complaints. A lot of people wanted him at 54 before the draft. I think he fell about due to his age and the fact that this draft was flooded with defensive talent in the range where he was supposed to be drafted.

I think Charles Harris surprises some of you and takes the job from Branch early on. If not at the beginning of the season, at some point before the halfway mark. Branch is decent but underwhelming in all aspects of his game. Nothing stands out. I think the threat of having Wake and Harris on opposite sides is too much to ignore for a decent but not too impressive veteran.

Tankersley starts opposite Howard in 2018, but will push for playing time early. I know he's not seen as a slot corner but I'm hoping he can show enough there to get McCain off the field for anything but special teams where he's actually solid.

I think both Taylor and Godchaux push for playing time in the rotation at DT, and I wouldn't be surprised if either of them eventually take the job from Phillips if he doesn't become more consistent. Phillips has the most talent/upside of the three.

Ford will at least make the practice squad. He should make the team over Grant, but that's only if we find another punt return somewhere and I don't want that to be Landry. I'm actually excited to see who shows more in the preseason; Ford vs. Carroo. I could see them trading Carroo for a late round pick if Ford impresses.

Back
Top Bottom