How One Single Move Changes a NFL Team | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How One Single Move Changes a NFL Team

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
I was looking at last year's Dolphins off season, and what one single move could have meant to our team, referring to the Albert trade which did not happen.

IF it would have, so many things change. Tannehill would not have been pressured as much, and the O wold very likely have been better. Bully Gate may or may not have happened, as Albert is known as a vet team leader.

We would not have been able to trade up for Jordan, as Oakland refused our 2nd second round pick.

We may have taken Eiffert, which would have likely meant that Clay would not have received the playing time to show his stuff.

We would not have signed Clabo, and Martin would have stayed at RT.

We would have had another early 2nd round pick.

We could have won one more game, maybe a playoff game, and Ireland would very well still be here.

If not, Hickey would have had much less cap space to deal with because of the Albert contract.

It is strage how one single move could have changed so much but, it would have.

I hear that right before the trade died, a butterfly in Brazil flapped it's wings...
Yeah, the whole dynamic of the team changes if that trade goes through.

Ireland easily would have still found a way to muff up the draft with more picks

All well within the realm of possibility. Then again if we didn't sign Keller and let Reggie walk when he so obviously wanted to stay, we might have retained Fasano for more blocking and an actual red zone threat and have had a dynamic game changing potential backfield which both would have kept the Ds more honest regardless of whether or not the OL was a sieve. But even more important to me, if I had only got 5 more numbers on that huge Powerball jackpot right late last year, I'd now be sitting in a chic outdoor cafe on the Riviera across from my yacht, sipping champagne, next to an adoring Angelina Joli look-alike responding to you probably on the same tablet...but with a bigger smile on my face. That's just the way it goes sometimes - or doesn't eh?

After not firing Ireland after the 2012 season I didn't think it would be possible to get rid of him while keeping Philbin, they would be joined at the hip from then on for better or for worse, so it worked out perfectly for me. If we got really really lucky with Hickey this whole thing may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Even if Philbin and Tannehill turn out to be great Ireland and Sherman would have held us back, Sherman was another that had to go so at least Ireland did one good deed for us before he departed.

If I would have eaten sushi instead of Mexican food ....

I think the Bully gate was going on long before the start of last season, and I really doubt that Albert would have been able to become involved in something that apparently most of the players on the team knew nothing about until it broke.

But other than that, I can see where you are coming from. The "what if" game is a slippery slope, though. The one that I always go back to is what if we had taken Brees for nothing instead of giving up a 2nd rd pick for Duante. As I remember it well over half of this board wanted Brees but we ended up missing out on what would have changed the face of this franchise for over a decade. I also remember a lot of people around here wanting Anquan Boldin when we passed on him. To be perfectly honest I think we could take the top few posters from here on Finheaven and come up with better decision makers than we have had at GM over the past 10-15 years. Some times GMs try to hard to pick someone nobody has ever heard of to show off how smart they are. It rarely works out.

I was looking at last year's Dolphins off season, and what one single move could have meant to our team, referring to the Albert trade which did not happen.

IF it would have, so many things change. Tannehill would not have been pressured as much, and the O wold very likely have been better.

We were one O-lineman away from being a good team? It sure didn't look that way.
For your sake, I hope this week flies and Thursday gets here really fast.

Martin would have been a snake in some capacity

I think the Bully gate was going on long before the start of last season, and I really doubt that Albert would have been able to become involved in something that apparently most of the players on the team knew nothing about until it broke.

But other than that, I can see where you are coming from. The "what if" game is a slippery slope, though. The one that I always go back to is what if we had taken Brees for nothing instead of giving up a 2nd rd pick for Duante. As I remember it well over half of this board wanted Brees but we ended up missing out on what would have changed the face of this franchise for over a decade. I also remember a lot of people around here wanting Anquan Boldin when we passed on him. To be perfectly honest I think we could take the top few posters from here on Finheaven and come up with better decision makers than we have had at GM over the past 10-15 years. Some times GMs try to hard to pick someone nobody has ever heard of to show off how smart they are. It rarely works out.

Or passing on Earl Thomas to trade down and draft Odrick and Misi.

Or passing on Patrick Willis to draft Ted Ginn.

Or passing on Daryl Washington to draft Koa Misi.

I hope we don't one day add - or passing on Luke Kuchly to draft Ryan Tannehill.

All well within the realm of possibility. Then again if we didn't sign Keller and let Reggie walk when he so obviously wanted to stay, we might have retained Fasano for more blocking and an actual red zone threat and have had a dynamic game changing potential backfield which both would have kept the Ds more honest regardless of whether or not the OL was a sieve. But even more important to me, if I had only got 5 more numbers on that huge Powerball jackpot right late last year, I'd now be sitting in a chic outdoor cafe on the Riviera across from my yacht, sipping champagne, next to an adoring Angelina Joli look-alike responding to you probably on the same tablet...but with a bigger smile on my face. That's just the way it goes sometimes - or doesn't eh?

Vaark, your butt-fumble animation is pure genius. I mean pure, lol.

LD

The difference in this what if is that it is not necessarily a negative, which I guess no one here has bothered to consider. The same topic at Happy Hour had half of the crew saying that this was a positive, which turned into a different discussion.

Clay, without a potential Eiffert, proved to be a play maker, a VG thing. Many, myself included, believe that Jordan is going to be a star, who we would not have had. Many also believe that the change is power from Ireland to the Philbin/Hickey combo is also a VG thing.

Kind of disappointing that posters here did not look at both sides, and instead see this as a pointless, sour grapes, what if thread. Phans in South Beach saw it much differently.

When a single move completely turns a team around, its typically the acquisition of a good QB.

For instance, take a look at the Seahawks before and after Russel Wilson became the QB. The rest of the roster was pretty much the same except Travaris Jackson was their QB.

Take a look at the Chiefs before they got Alex Smith. The rest of the roster was real similar. They were running garbage out there at QB.

Take a look at the Eagles with Vick at QB then Foles in that same position.

Take a look at the Phins when Pennington stepped in for that Lemon/Beck madness. Night and day.

Imagine what this team could accomplish if we got ourselves a good QB. The rest of the roster is pretty much loaded and ready to win.

Back
Top Bottom