How the Dolphins staff see the rookies... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How the Dolphins staff see the rookies...

Eesti

Rookie
Club Member
Reaction score
One source in the Dolphins building said rookie defensive tackles Davon Godchaux and Vincent Taylor don’t appear ready to be rotation players. That’s problematic, considering one of them might be needed as a No. 3 tackle.

• Rookie with the best chance of starting? Probably Raekwon McMillan, who impressed the team with his professionalism and maturity. He would need to beat out Koa Misi if Misi is cleared after neck surgery, as well as Neville Hewitt.

The sense we got is that Ted Larsen will enter camp ahead of rookie Isaac Asiata at one guard spot, with Jermon Bushrod the favorite at the other. First-round defensive end Charles Harris figures to play 30 or so snaps a game off the bench, as Armando Salguero has noted.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article158796034.html

Looks like we will be signing a FA DT and that sounds good to me. Good news about Raek.

As expected....for now.

Asiata will likely win that job and play more snaps than any other rookie. Raekwon will be a starter too.

I can't wait to see Charles Harris in pads.

I like the part..
Right guard Jermon Bushrod finished as the fourth-lowest-graded tackle in the league last year

That would be huge if Raekwon starts.

Cut day will be madness this year. Hope we scoop up a nice veteran stop gap at DT.

No news here. Every year Gase starts out with the veterans holding the starting spots. If a rookie is going to start, he needs to earn it, and prove he is better than the current starter. That doesn't happen in OTA's. It doesn't even happen in minicamp. When the pads go on, we'll see. When the preaseason games happen they'll have a chance to validate the earlier preseason.

If they are impressive enough in the pre-season then they'll get the chance in the preseason games ... if they're good enough there, they can earn their spots. Right now ... nothing is going to be given. Everything must be earned through play. If they impress without pads, they'll get a chance to prove it with pads on. If they prove it with pads on, they'll get the chance to prove it in preseason games. It's a natural progression, and it's a method that the players respect.

No news here. Every year Gase starts out with the veterans holding the starting spots. If a rookie is going to start, he needs to earn it, and prove he is better than the current starter. That doesn't happen in OTA's. It doesn't even happen in minicamp. When the pads go on, we'll see. When the preaseason games happen they'll have a chance to validate the earlier preseason.

If they are impressive enough in the pre-season then they'll get the chance in the preseason games ... if they're good enough there, they can earn their spots. Right now ... nothing is going to be given. Everything must be earned through play. If they impress without pads, they'll get a chance to prove it with pads on. If they prove it with pads on, they'll get the chance to prove it in preseason games. It's a natural progression, and it's a method that the players respect.
Thanks, this explains why Dallas Thomas opened camp so string over Tunsil last year. It bugged me but this makes sense. Everything is earned.

One source in the Dolphins building said rookie defensive tackles Davon Godchaux and Vincent Taylor don’t appear ready to be rotation players. That’s problematic, considering one of them might be needed as a No. 3 tackle.

• Rookie with the best chance of starting? Probably Raekwon McMillan, who impressed the team with his professionalism and maturity. He would need to beat out Koa Misi if Misi is cleared after neck surgery, as well as Neville Hewitt.

The sense we got is that Ted Larsen will enter camp ahead of rookie Isaac Asiata at one guard spot, with Jermon Bushrod the favorite at the other. First-round defensive end Charles Harris figures to play 30 or so snaps a game off the bench, as Armando Salguero has noted.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article158796034.html

Looks like we will be signing a FA DT and that sounds good to me. Good news about Raek.
Bro I think its too early to panic on the young men at DT. Let's see how they progress a little more first. Those comments may have been motivational as well.You want to see someone step up in camp before your bring another player from the outside so quick. This will give them a chance to shine and that you have confidence in your roster and the growth from within.

That defensive tackle position really concerns me. Miami needs to find a veteran there like a Dan Williams or Jared Odrick.

Obviously things can change once pads come on, but for a playoff hopeful it's putting a lot of pressure on young DT's to get the job done.

Really hoping Asiata can nail down a Guard spot. He's better than his fifth round draft position. Let Larsen and Bushrod fight it out for the other spot.

That defensive tackle position really concerns me. Miami needs to find a veteran there like a Dan Williams or Jared Odrick.

Obviously things can change once pads come on, but for a playoff hopeful it's putting a lot of pressure on young DT's to get the job done.
Cali Brother I think they will be back up plans should the players we have not develop, show promise, and that they can handle it. Have a great weekend!

Late 5th and 6th picks are always a gamble even though all the draft sites showed these guys as extremely good value based on where we drafted them. Same for the reciever Forde. In Taylor and Fordes case they were ranked much higher predraft and the appeared to slide down in the projections. Davon the LSU DT stock appeared to rise predraft. I believe Taylor had some off field concerns that hurt him and Fordes foot speed and some body catching contributed to his downside. Taylor is the better of the 2 DT with his run stopping abilities IMO and when the pads are on I think Forde will shine but getting him to not body catch so much could be a issue.

This is right on. Litterly nothing has changed since we drafted these players. The only time the roster changes in OTAs or Mini camp is if we lose some one to injury. The reporters want to make a story based on them because everyone is sick of basketball, but there are no stories. The point of OTAs is to show the players the routine, get the conditioning going, and make the playbook 3D for everyone. There is zero evaluation in this stage, as evaluation of football players with out pads and no hitting, is like having a beauty pageant with the girls in burkas.

My biggest issue with this article is the comment about the DTs. I personally agree that is currently our biggest need on our roster, but there is zero evidence that suggests this was accurate statement. Since mini camp ended we have scheduled zero visits with vet DTs. If the staff believed what this reporter claimed then we would bring one of DTs that are available in for a visit. Williams, Odrick, and Solai, are all still available and could be option if the staff isn't comfortable with what we have.

Back
Top Bottom