How the NFL screws Dolphin fans and the Dolphin orginzation. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How the NFL screws Dolphin fans and the Dolphin orginzation.

Im not sure what is so hard to figure out about this?

Jacksonville needs the fan base to expand, and they are a quality football team. I actually enjoy watching them play, as they play extremely solid ball, and the NFL knows that Jacksonville is such a small market that without revenue sharing they'd be in serious trouble.

makes more sense to put the Jaguars on TV and try to build up their fanbase while Miami fans can struggle but stay loyal.

i feel u jack n kille jaguars r 1 of the most feared teams in the league rite now frum there runin game d fence aswell as good wr and garrard

Wow that last post made me feel like I have a BAC of .35

ronnies hope

i kno ronnie is goin 2 cum thru for us but there is a slight chance dat the only reason he wus runnin lke dat is ofensive coordinator cam cameron
cus he did create lt. but ronnie shuld still hav it cus he alreadii broke frum out his shell

I contacted Jerry Green here in Orlando about why the Jags get broadcast rights in central Florida and this is the answer I got.

"The deal is that years ago the Jags asked to make Daytona/Orlando an official "secondary area" for the team and the NFL granted that. As such, the NFL TV agreement says that any station in a secondary area that carries the appropriate conference must show the team’s road games. So whenever the Jags are on the road, WKMG must make them the first choice over the Dolphins. WKMG has wanted to change that forever but it’s network doesn’t bother to fight for it, so it never changes. The local guys are not to blame."

I think the NFL probably has some sort of scam worked out with directv to screw central Florida Dolphin fans out of money for the Sunday Ticket. We are probably their best market in terms of NFL Sunday ticket sales.

I contacted the NFL about this but I haven't received a response yet. The Dolphins are far more popular here in Orlando and have been the team of choice in this area for years, but that doesn't seem to be as important as the all mighty dollar.

How much do you pay for the Ticket?

I don't think there's a problem living in Polk County. Polk's a nice place to live. However, a major complaint of Polk Dolfans are that when the Bucs have a 1:00 game on FOX, and the Fins have a 1:00 game on CBS, why is it that only the Bucs game is shown? Why not show both games and appease both fanbases? Instead of forcing a team down the throats of a fanbase that doesn't want to watch that particular team.
That sounds like you're refering to home games. If that's the case it's a league rule to show only a sold out home game locally. If a Fins home game is being shown locally there is no NFC game on at the same time. Instead of getting 3 games you only get 2.

That sounds like you're refering to home games. If that's the case it's a league rule to show only a sold out home game locally. If a Fins home game is being shown locally there is no NFC game on at the same time. Instead of getting 3 games you only get 2.

It's not just home games. Sometimes the away games aren't shown either. This is just one of those things that's always puzzled me. I understand that in a Tampa market, that the Bucs should be the main focus. However, they are an NFC team and with the Dolphins in the AFC and on another station, what's the harm in showing their games?

When there are two games are being played, and yet only one is being shown you kind of feel like you're being deprived of more football.

It boils down to compitition in your own market. The local station makes more money when they don't have to compete.

They do have a team. They're called the Atlanta Falcons.

And this is not a conspiracy. The NFL wants to make as much money and secure as many advertisers as possible, so I'm sure that financially speaking, the current setup drives the most possible television viewership (unless they're data is wrong)

I live in Georgia and like I said, they don't have an NFL team.

Thanks for bringing that up. I completely forgot about that rule.

The fan benefited more way back when the NFL and AFL were two seperate leagues, each with its own 1:00 and 4:00 game. After the merger, the league gave exclusive "doubleheader" rights each week to each of the two networks. The networks apparently prefer having a captive (no NFL competition) audience eight times per season, rather than being able to air more games. I always thought that was odd, that the ad revenue from 16 additional games would be greater than the ad revenue from eight games with higher ratings, but that's just my opinion. Maybe it's also because it gives fans that much more additional incentive to purchase Sunday Ticket, or spend money at a sports bar that buys the NFL football package.

As far as Orlando goes, maybe the NFL is trying to equalize the number of viewers in both 'markets'. Obviously the population of metro Jacksonville doesn't come close to that of the Miami area. On the other hand, since ratings are king, it is odd that the NFL would not make a pure and simple business decision and go with the team that has more fans in that area.

If I'm not mistaken the NFL has boundaries for the primary team extended over the entire US, leaving not a household untouched. I'm sure this isn't the only area that would benefit from an overlapping of these artificial boundaries.

The fan benefited more way back when the NFL and AFL were two seperate leagues, each with its own 1:00 and 4:00 game. After the merger, the league gave exclusive "doubleheader" rights each week to each of the two networks. The networks apparently prefer having a captive (no NFL competition) audience eight times per season, rather than being able to air more games. I always thought that was odd, that the ad revenue from 16 additional games would be greater than the ad revenue from eight games with higher ratings, but that's just my opinion. Maybe it's also because it gives fans that much more additional incentive to purchase Sunday Ticket, or spend money at a sports bar that buys the NFL football package.

As far as Orlando goes, maybe the NFL is trying to equalize the number of viewers in both 'markets'. Obviously the population of metro Jacksonville doesn't come close to that of the Miami area. On the other hand, since ratings are king, it is odd that the NFL would not make a pure and simple business decision and go with the team that has more fans in that area.

If I'm not mistaken the NFL has boundaries for the primary team extended over the entire US, leaving not a household untouched. I'm sure this isn't the only area that would benefit from an overlapping of these artificial boundaries.

It does make more sense to do that, but the NFL seems to believe that "common sense is nonsense." It just irks me when good fans are deprived of football games. You should see some of the stuff they have on TV in place of the Dolphins. Riveting television such as: Magician Awards Show, shows on snowboarding, and infomercials about the "Magic Bullet." Okay, I'm starting to ramble.

Anyways, even if the NFL expanded the amount of games being shown in certain markets, people would still buy Sunday Ticket and go to sports bar. I mean, if you're Steelers fan living in Bartow, FL the odds are you probably won't get the Steelers on your local TV. There will always be a market for Sunday Ticket and there will always be business for sports bars on Sundays. There is absolutely no harm in allowing a Dolphins game to be shown in a Tampa market while the Bucs are on. Don't screw one fanbase, and appease the other. It's ridiculous.

From my experience it's the local programming manager that decides what game will be showed if the home team is not playing. I work for a cable company, and this old dude I worked with knew the program manager for one of the local stations. We'd look at the TV schedule and if we didn't like the game they selected we'd call the program manager and explain why the game they chose sucked. Usually our complaints didn't matter, but two times our argument caused them to change the game they were showing.

Point is, it's pretty much about the money, but it's also about some dumb a$$ program manager who knows nothing of the intricicies of rooting against division rivals, picking games that nobody has any interest in.

My suggestion, if you don't like the games they are showing, call the actual station, or get a hold of the email address of the program manager for the station and explain to them why the games they are showing are irrelevant to the market they are broadcasting in, it is possible they could change....

Go Pins

Back
Top Bottom