I dont understand reaching when you have a top 10 pick... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I dont understand reaching when you have a top 10 pick...

Dmarino110

Starter
Reaction score
I realize we have needs, but we have a top 10 pick. Unless you can get a 2 1st rounders or a decent 1st round and 2 or 3 other 1st day picks i dont see trading down.

right now Levi brown is listed as the 2nd best olineman but NOBODY has him listed as a top 10 pick. So why would we waste our pick? Why take advantage of the fact that we have an opportunity to pick up a stud at another position?

If Joe Thomas fell to 9 and so did brady it would be a hard pick for me. If things dont change now til the draft we would have a chance to pick up [SIZE=-1]Dwayne Jarrett. I dont have the ability to pass up a 6'4 reciever with his ability. He is a break away reciver and we havent had a reciver that fast since mcknight (he couldnt catch but thats another issue).

I dont think Pep is gonna ever be at is 2004 season level again. I think he knee is shot, but if I'm wrong and he can play again then why not get a Moss clone (although a little slower) that he can air it out to?

And if Quinn manages to fall to us, why not pick up a QB that Weis said was one of the smartest he'd ever worked with?
[/SIZE]

I realize we have needs, but we have a top 10 pick. Unless you can get a 2 1st rounders or a decent 1st round and 2 or 3 other 1st day picks i dont see trading down.

right now Levi brown is listed as the 2nd best olineman but NOBODY has him listed as a top 10 pick. So why would we waste our pick? Why take advantage of the fact that we have an opportunity to pick up a stud at another position?

If Joe Thomas fell to 9 and so did brady it would be a hard pick for me. If things dont change now til the draft we would have a chance to pick up [SIZE=-1]Dwayne Jarrett. I dont have the ability to pass up a 6'4 reciever with his ability. He is a break away reciver and we havent had a reciver that fast since mcknight (he couldnt catch but thats another issue).

I dont think Pep is gonna ever be at is 2004 season level again. I think he knee is shot, but if I'm wrong and he can play again then why not get a Moss clone (although a little slower) that he can air it out to?

And if Quinn manages to fall to us, why not pick up a QB that Weis said was one of the smartest he'd ever worked with?
[/SIZE]

Oh really?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top64.php?draftyear=2007

If Joe Thomas was there at 9 its a no brainer to take him... If Brady Quinn fell there it would be a tough pick because of the fact we have Cpep. Even though im not sold on PEPs condition i think hes still an asset to this team on the field... Levi Brown would be a safe pick considering the need we have Left Tackle. He is a reach at 9 but still is pretty solid... I think our needs are as follows from greatest to least: LT, DB, LB, WR, QB(we have too much money tied up here), DE, DT (Manny & Rod Wright, Fred Evans are still developing and have major potential)
By the way Dwayne Jarret isnt known for being fast... He has to prove his 40 time in the combine. I read somewhere they clocked him at 4.6 in College...

mel kiper has us takin quinn at #9 anyway.....and im a big kiper fan when it comes to the draft, so i gotta go with wat he says

If Joe Thomas fell to 9 and so did brady it would be a hard pick for me. If things dont change now til the draft we would have a chance to pick up [SIZE=-1]Dwayne Jarrett. I dont have the ability to pass up a 6'4 reciever with his ability. He is a break away reciver and we havent had a reciver that fast since mcknight (he couldnt catch but thats another issue). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I dont think Pep is gonna ever be at is 2004 season level again. I think he knee is shot, but if I'm wrong and he can play again then why not get a Moss clone (although a little slower) that he can air it out to? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]And if Quinn manages to fall to us, why not pick up a QB that Weis said was one of the smartest he'd ever worked with?[/SIZE]

I'd love him here also, but wasn't the knock on him his lack of speed? Maybe i'm wrong, but i could have sworn i heard that.

If Joe Thomas fell to 9 and so did brady it would be a hard pick for me. If things dont change now til the draft we would have a chance to pick up [SIZE=-1]Dwayne Jarrett. I dont have the ability to pass up a 6'4 reciever with his ability. He is a break away reciver and we havent had a reciver that fast since mcknight (he couldnt catch but thats another issue). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I dont think Pep is gonna ever be at is 2004 season level again. I think he knee is shot, but if I'm wrong and he can play again then why not get a Moss clone (although a little slower) that he can air it out to? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]And if Quinn manages to fall to us, why not pick up a QB that Weis said was one of the smartest he'd ever worked with?[/SIZE]

If both Joe Thomas(no chance IMO) and Brady Quinn(better odds)) fall to us, I don't think it's even close. The Miami Dolphins with the 9th pick in the draft HAVE to select Joe Thomas.

As much as I advocate making a move and staking a claim in the future franchise QB of our team, we cannot pass on the best OT in the draft falling 8 spots and right in to one of the most mediocre OLines in the NFL.

As far as reaching on Brown, if Miami is thinking of bringing in a DE in Adams or Anderson it will be a direct waste of a 2nd round pick IMO. Matt Roth has shown significant improvement and star potential with every opportunity he has been given on the field. He should be awarded the starting job if the Dolphins decide to cut/trade Kevin Carter or even if they don't. If Carter stays and Holliday goes, I'd move Carter to the inside and make Roth the starter.

Some people get excited about Leon Hall and I just don't understand how a Dolfan could possibly get all tingly over another 5'll CB. The Jaguars made our dwarf CB's this year look like they belonged playing pee wee football. Sure, Asante Samuel is about the same height, but Samuels has already proven he can play at over 6 feet.

And Reggie Nelson or Laron Landry, I think they are both solid players but I have a big problem going saftey two years in a row. Not only is it unfair to the franchise because maybe Jason Allen get's caught behind the rookie or frustrated with the thought of Miami not believing in him and lapses never getting the proper time to flourish, but safety is not a major need postion for us. We have youth and talent with Allen, Bell and Hill. IMO all three guys are more than serviceable.

Dwayne Jarrett, Ted Ginn Jr- I like them both. But you guys will agree with me that the draft is a gamble right? I think we can all agree on that. So which gamble, assuming they both pay off, would pay the larger dividends? By far, by a landslide, it's Ted Ginn Jr. If this guy pays off, he's going to be the next Steve Smith of the NFL only he'll be taking putns and kick offs to the house.

In conclusion, and obviously this is all opinion, if no Quinn or Branch fall to us and it's between a Adams, Anderson, Landry, or Nelson, I'd rather reach for Levi Brown. And if we are gambling on recievers, I'd take my chances with Ted Ginn Jr.

Dwayne Jarrett, Ted Ginn Jr- I like them both. But you guys will agree with me that the draft is a gamble right? I think we can all agree on that. So which gamble, assuming they both pay off, would pay the larger dividends? By far, by a landslide, it's Ted Ginn Jr. If this guy pays off, he's going to be the next Steve Smith of the NFL only he'll be taking putns and kick offs to the house.

In conclusion, and obviously this is all opinion, if no Quinn or Branch fall to us and it's between a Adams, Anderson, Landry, or Nelson, I'd rather reach for Levi Brown. And if we are gambling on recievers, I'd take my chances with Ted Ginn Jr.

I'm curious to know why Ginn Jr by a landslide over Jarrett? Theres really no telling which will be better until you see what team drafts them and what type of situation they are put in. Personally, I thought Jarrett would be a better pick because Ginn is small. I dont know...thats just the way I look at it.

we can't go wrong with the #9 pick, somebody will fall. whether it be Adams, Jarrett, Quinn, Brown or Nelson who knows but we will get a good player at high value

I'm curious to know why Ginn Jr by a landslide over Jarrett? Theres really no telling which will be better until you see what team drafts them and what type of situation they are put in. Personally, I thought Jarrett would be a better pick because Ginn is small. I dont know...thats just the way I look at it.

your absolutely correct, Jarret is way better than Ginn. he has better hands, size, is a better route runner and can win jump balls in the end zone. some people are just in love with Ginn but the truth is he is horrible value at #9

I disagree, Jarrett lacks the speed to stretch the field, which is exactly what the Fins need. We already have 2 solid possession type WRs. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not advocating Ginn by any means. I don't want either one of them.

While I'm not comparing players or talent, the last time a team reached in the top 10 for an OT that was supposedly going to be around at pick 20 was Cincinnati's Levi Jones, & he's turned into a franchise LT protecting Carson Palmer's blind side.

I love Jarrett's hands. Only problem is, he's a possession receiver, which is what most of our current WR's are.

IF we go WR in round 1, I'd rather Ted Ginn just because of his speed.

I completely understand where you are coming from. But Ginn's explosiveness is by far a landslide if it translates to the NFL. You don't agree?

Levi Brown is NOT a reach.

Some might call Paul Posluszny, Patrick Willis, or Leon Hall a reach. But my definition of a reach is selecting a player you could have gotten in the next round. So none of those guys qualify. Especially if any of them go on to become Pro Bowl players.

If the Fins traded down three spots, we probably wouldn't have a shot a Levi Brown. Don't know how you can call that a reach by anybody's definition.

Back
Top Bottom