If We Get Brees... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If We Get Brees...

I liked Brees but I am hoping if Miami gets him it doesn't come at a huge price. If he gets a huge long term contract I am going to be worried all the way until the season and hes either producing or screwing up.

Specialk0832 said:
just curious??? what does the stadium in 2008 have anything to do with the QB situation??
im not being a smart @$$, i just dont see the relavence

yah i dont understand that either, becuase what if rivers fails and doesnt live up to his hype. Then you have the situation where the team is trying to get the city to vote for a new stadium after a lousy season. whereas if they kept brees they could go into that new stadium on a roll hypothetically who knows. the rest of his post makes sense tho, 40 mill is a lot for somone to not see the field, and this injury just gives that front office a reason to be worried, and probably rightfully so.

Specialk0832 said:
just curious??? what does the stadium in 2008 have anything to do with the QB situation??
im not being a smart @$$, i just dont see the relavence

Great question... :lol:

You have to understand that I have been caught up in a Brees vs. Rivers struggle for the last two years, and a Brees vs. Flutie before that. We've argued everything from Rivers throwing motion to Brees' mole. We tend to make mountains out of molehills (no pun intended) over there and I admit that this may be one of them.

But to explain...

Given that the Chargers were down and out so so long, there is a real knock on management on whether or not they were really committed to winning. Fans were getting sick and tired of never making the play-offs. There was growing speculation that if the Chargers were to go after a stadium , the fane base would never support.

Now they have a winning product with a lot of upside.

Even though the Bolts have been successful the last two years, people are still a bit leary. The management wants a consistent winner so that they can put this "committment to winning" thing behind them. There is a lot of backlash among the fan base right now because Brees is being ceremoniously dumped. If they follow this decision up with a non play-off season while Rivers develops - and if there would happen to have been a stadium vote in 2006 - then that might have been enough to sway the swing vote the wrong way. So, I'm suggesting that maybe management wants to put this whole QB controversery to bed now. Even if Rivers takes 2 years to mature, people would have in all likelihood have forgotten about Brees by 2008.

It admittedly a little anal when I look back at it, & it's may even not be a part of the equation. But it's covered by a couple 100 pages on the SDUT Bolt forum.

It's okay if you were being a smart a$$, I'm on your turf...:lol:

ASUFinFan said:
yah i dont understand that either, becuase what if rivers fails and doesnt live up to his hype. Then you have the situation where the team is trying to get the city to vote for a new stadium after a lousy season. whereas if they kept brees they could go into that new stadium on a roll hypothetically who knows. the rest of his post makes sense tho, 40 mill is a lot for somone to not see the field, and this injury just gives that front office a reason to be worried, and probably rightfully so.

Because I honestly believe that the FO has always felt that Brees would be the one to go. They have that much faith in Rivers. So if he has to go sooner would be better, and the injury is the reason they were looking for.

Just one guy's opinion (and a few others)...

This is about SD having to pay starting money on 2 QBs ... its that simple ...

They were going to have to either not sign Brees or trade Rivers ....

Brees' "injury" just made that decision a little easier for them.

Equally, the "injury" also gave them 'hope' that other teams would shy away from him, so that they could keep him on the cheap -- NOT !

PHINANALYST said:

Equally, the "injury" also gave them 'hope' that other teams would shy away from him, so that they could keep him on the cheap -- NOT !

Bingo! Buy that man a beer!

SpurzN703 said:
He's a franchise guy. I'm actually pretty excited about him maybe coming here. Hopefully he recovers 100%, but time will tell on that.

I agree. His potential to lead us to the promise land is way to big to pass up on.

PHINANALYST said:

The handwriting was on the wall when they acquired AJ Feeley. They wanted a veteran backup, not a veteran 3rd stringer. 3rd stringers are usually reserved for projects like Cleo Lemons.

if we get brees miami should realse gus. or try to trade him for a offinivse of linmen or draft picks.

I think we should get culpper

sorry if it's posted somewhere else on the site, but are there any other QB's
in the league who've had this same injury?

I'm hoping it's different from the one that Pennington had.

Who else has had this though - specific injury to throwing arm. Marc Bulger? Kurt Warner? Matt Hasselback? Michael Vick?

Anyone know?

miamirw said:
sorry if it's posted somewhere else on the site, but are there any other QB's
in the league who've had this same injury?

I'm hoping it's different from the one that Pennington had.

Who else has had this though - specific injury to throwing arm. Marc Bulger? Kurt Warner? Matt Hasselback? Michael Vick?

Anyone know?

Rich Gannon, Phil Simms. Gannon's was before his MVP season. He said his arm was actually stronger after the rehab. Simms said that his arm was fine, but it happened at the end of his career, and the Giants never picked up his option, so he never got to prove that.

Predaphin said:
Personally i don't like Jake Plummer....But if you asked me who would i take right now....the smartest choice would be Plummer over Brees, simply because of the injury....

Had they asked me last year (or before the injury) then i would take Brees.

Thats tough. I think with Brees, or without, Saban will have you guys in the playoffs. And if its Brees youre sportin..........well...........it will be tough for you to stomach watchin us win the superbowl with Jake.

And if T.O. comes to Denver...........its all over.:cooldude:

WARHORSE said:
Thats tough. I think with Brees, or without, Saban will have you guys in the playoffs. And if its Brees youre sportin..........well...........it will be tough for you to stomach watchin us win the superbowl with Jake.

And if T.O. comes to Denver...........its all over.:cooldude:
Denver will be a team to reckon with when they get T.O. but I think Jake the mistake will still show himself in the playoffs. he had 4 or 5 turnovers in the Steeler playoff game and the Steelers also showed that your defense has weaknesses

Back
Top Bottom