If we lose Christian Wilkins...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we lose Christian Wilkins......

Jamesw

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
While we all hope we can retain CW, we need to prepare for his departure. Who do we replace him with? IMHO, we take a 3 pronged approach:

1. Sign a cheap DT vet to fill immediate need. But who is out there at a low cost? Do any of you know?
2, Re-sign R. Davis to a 1 year "prove it now or never" deal and hope he is a late bloomer like AJ was.
3. Draft an DT - but what kind? A monster run stuffer like M. Sweat? Would that allow Sieler, Phillips, Chubb and AVG (hopefully) to feast on the QB? Or do we look for more of a Wilkins clone?

Thoughts?

That’s basically what I’d do if we lost Wilkins. Resign Davis. Add a cheap starter in free agency. Draft one in the 5th round for depth.

I would then use the rest of the money we could of spent on Wilkins to upgrade CB and or LB

He is gone …we live in a world where money is the only thing that matters. Plus his agent is one of the biggest price gaulgers in the NFL

We need a run stuffer big guy next to Sieler in there. Wilkins is good but he gets pushed around a lot by big interior linemen since he's usually more interested in the sack vs collapsing gaps and swallowing up linemen so your lbers can stay clean and feast.
Sweat is huge 350+ and can stuff runs all day. McKinley Jackson 330+ is another run stuffer.

I read somewhere that we met with Gabr Hall from Baylor? Anyone have a take on him? Sounds like he could be a 5th round target?

Also, what do we do at edge/DE? We have JP and Chubb coming off of injury. Do we invest in FA or the draft on a position that, “when healthy” isn’t a top need? I’m thinking bringing back VG should be a top priority. We literally have no one that can rush the passer.

Well.... I'm going to try to follow the suspected logic.

It is thought that we would let Wilkins walk, not because we couldn't find a way to manipulate the cap for a year or two, but BECAUSE spending this much money on a DT is a bad bet because overspending on that particular position is not a way to win in the NFL during the salary cap era.

If this is the thinking, then spending high draft picks on that position is a poor strategy. You'd just allow the next excellent player to walk several years later. Round and round on a less important position.

So... that leaves cheap vets and later round draft picks... which is the way I think we SHOULD go.

Most teams platoon this position anyway, with few NFL DTs being every down players, so... I'd resign Davis, bring in another cheap vet, and then compile a list of DTs that I think might be available in the 5th or 6th round.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that we met with Gabr Hall from Baylor? Anyone have a take on him? Sounds like he could be a 5th round target?

Also, what do we do at edge/DE? We have JP and Chubb coming off of injury. Do we invest in FA or the draft on a position that, “when healthy” isn’t a top need? I’m thinking bringing back VG should be a top priority. We literally have no one that can rush the passer.
We can bring back avg if we don’t have to pay Wilkins. Clowney had 10 sacks last year, is cheap, and likes weaver they say…

Well.... I'm going to try to follow the suspected logic.

It is thought that we would let Wilkins walk, not because we couldn't find a way to manipulate the cap for a year or two, but BECAUSE spending this much money on a DT is a bad bet because overspending on that particular position is not a way to win in the NFL during the salary cap era.

If this is the thinking, then spending high draft picks on that position is a poor strategy. You'd just allow the next excellent player to walk several years later. Round and round on a less important position.

So... that leaves cheap vets and later round draft picks... which is the way I think we SHOULD go.

Most teams platoon this position anyway, with few NFL DTs being every down players, so... I'd resign Davis, bring in another cheap vet, and then compile a list of DTs that I think might be available in the 5th or 6th round.
What kind of DT, would work best? Monster run stuffer, or athletic who can provide pass rush/sacks?

First things first, I think AVG should be a priority and as far as DT, some good answers already....I'd not go DT with our top pick as that should be OL unless a WR is on the board that is too good to pass on.

Cheap vet DT and/or a day 3 guy might be the way to go.

This makes sense to me.

I think you are looking at value in FA after the initial wave of signings and big run stuffing bodies to put out there. I would also be looking for a couple of them to build some depth.

The AVG issues seems a bit more important for us now, with Phillips and Chubb likely to have to ease back into the lineup, we will need an early presence on the edge until those two are fully back. AVG can provide that spark and maybe a late rounder for some depth there as well.

We need a run stuffer big guy next to Sieler in there. Wilkins is good but he gets pushed around a lot by big interior linemen since he's usually more interested in the sack vs collapsing gaps and swallowing up linemen so your lbers can stay clean and feast.
Apparently you don't watch much film on Wilkins he is one of the best against the run. Every Dt gets pushed around every now and then it's called being double teamed

Baltimore usually have a bigger guy at DT so I wouldn’t be surprised if they go after DJ Reader or DaQuan Jones.

Reader also has a bit of history with Weaver.
probably less than half the cost too

Back
Top Bottom