If we lose Christian Wilkins...... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we lose Christian Wilkins......

While we all hope we can retain CW, we need to prepare for his departure. Who do we replace him with? IMHO, we take a 3 pronged approach:

1. Sign a cheap DT vet to fill immediate need. But who is out there at a low cost? Do any of you know?
2, Re-sign R. Davis to a 1 year "prove it now or never" deal and hope he is a late bloomer like AJ was.
3. Draft an DT - but what kind? A monster run stuffer like M. Sweat? Would that allow Sieler, Phillips, Chubb and AVG (hopefully) to feast on the QB? Or do we look for more of a Wilkins clone?

Thoughts?
I love replacing him with Sweat, that could end up being an upgrade. I like resigning Davis, not every player is a Pro Bowler, he's been pretty good. When I last looked at the FA list for DTs I don't recall anyone jumping out. If we really lose CW, replace him with a stud like M. Sweat, we'll be fine.

I love replacing him with Sweat, that could end up being an upgrade. I like resigning Davis, not every player is a Pro Bowler, he's been pretty good. When I last looked at the FA list for DTs I don't recall anyone jumping out. If we really lose CW, replace him with a stud like M. Sweat, we'll be fine.
And save a lot! Sweat is my favorite but there are quite a few very good DTs in this draft even in later rounds.

Losing Wilkins is going to hurt. I would've love to have kept him but I need to put my biased to the side and realize that although is great, he is not 20+m a year great. I hope Davis can fill in or draft a monster run stuffer that commands a double team.

I like Pili.

Ross loves Wilkins. Not going to happen

Apparently you don't watch much film on Wilkins he is one of the best against the run. Every Dt gets pushed around every now and then it's called being double teamed
I thought the same thing when I red his post

Apparently you don't watch much film on Wilkins he is one of the best against the run. Every Dt gets pushed around every now and then it's called being double teamed

Yeah, I've watched plenty of Wilkins throughout his career here and am well aware of his pros and cons. I've also coached plenty of DTs in my time so I think I have a pretty decent idea of what I'm looking at for the last 5 years. So let's agree to disagree on this specific player assessment.

Wilkins is our best defensive player. Nobody else is close. What he did for us is such a valuable game asset we really need to keep him. We should have tagged him if its not close on negotiations.

Wilkins is our best defensive player. Nobody else is close. What he did for us is such a valuable game asset we really need to keep him. We should have tagged him if its not close on negotiations.

He's great. Unfortunately I don't see how we bring him back with the money he will be offered in FA by another team.

I thought the same thing when I red his post

Why? I didn't say he was garbage against the run. He's great against it when he isn't chasing sacks. The OP asked the question of essentially, what to we do at DT to pair with Sieler with the great possibility he leaves. I gave my answer.

Yeah, I've watched plenty of Wilkins throughout his career here and am well aware of his pros and cons. I've also coached plenty of DTs in my time so I think I have a pretty decent idea of what I'm looking at for the last 5 years. So let's agree to disagree on this specific player assessment.
Just for shits and giggles where did you coach

Why? I didn't say he was garbage against the run. He's great against it when he isn't chasing sacks. The OP asked the question of essentially, what to we do at DT to pair with Sieler with the great possibility he leaves. I gave my answer.
You said Wilkins is more interested in the sack than stuffing gaps. That's just not true. Not only that but name one other DT that stays with a play and chases players down halfway down the field. The dude has a motor that is hard to replace and his sack numbers throughout his career prove your statement wrong. This past year was his highest by far. So how did you even come to that conclusion?

Why does anybody want to resign Raekwon Davis? He's not going to prove anything except he's a deficit to the league. There's no way you can increase his snap count in a pass happy league. The quarterback's biggest problem will be not to laugh.

There is value in the extremes, which means you look around for bargain guys with athletic ability and toughness. Trust a Ravens import to know those names and the ability to identify characteristics in names new to him.

Raekwon Davis has size and not much else. No agility. How can everybody here praise Ted Slimm yet totally ignore all the years that a lifelong dedicated Alabama fan referred to a player on his favorite team as Shaenkwon, while wishing best of luck to any team that drafted him?

Without Christian Wilkins, yeah we'll be short term worse. More vulnerable against the run. He'll be elsewhere and quickly blend as a good but not special player. It is the correct big picture decision.

In fact, it's such a correct big picture decision I'm not confident the Dolphins won't screw it up and keep him.

Back
Top Bottom