If we lose Christian Wilkins...... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we lose Christian Wilkins......

Well.... I'm going to try to follow the suspected logic.

It is thought that we would let Wilkins walk, not because we couldn't find a way to manipulate the cap for a year or two, but BECAUSE spending this much money on a DT is a bad bet because overspending on that particular position is not a way to win in the NFL during the salary cap era.

If this is the thinking, then spending high draft picks on that position is a poor strategy. You'd just allow the next excellent player to walk several years later. Round and round on a less important position.

So... that leaves cheap vets and later round draft picks... which is the way I think we SHOULD go.

Most teams platoon this position anyway, with few NFL DTs being every down players, so... I'd resign Davis, bring in another cheap vet, and then compile a list of DTs that I think might be available in the 5th or 6th round.
I wholeheartedly disagree with "the thinking". Defensive Tackle is one of the most important positions on the field. It is no small responsibility to stop or reroute the running game, rush the QB from inside the pocket, to deflect passes, and to pursue runners and running QBs on broken and unexpected plays. DTs who can make impact plays require lots of extra attention and can redact pages from the playbook. Somehow the flashier edge players get more money and notoriety but they are more easily replaced because although they find a way to make plays, they are not 300lb ballerinas.

I liked the Cidolfus breakdown of the Dolphins' and maybe a combination of mediocre vets and young upside talent is the best road for Miami's new Defense this year, but a top 5 DT in the league is worth the investment. Especially one who has great influence in the locker room. I can't think of another position where I would rather spend my resources.

There are a couple R1 options that I like in the draft, specifically Murphy and Darius Robinson.

If Miami keeps Davis, either of those two would add the pass rush element. Robinson has the versatility to play DE as well, which might ultimately be his best position. So he could set the edge and move inside on passing downs.

Trade down options would be Fiske, who I think ends up top 40 and Sweat. Sweat probably is more of the Baltimore type fit, which could be what Weaver is looking for.

I wholeheartedly disagree with "the thinking". Defensive Tackle is one of the most important positions on the field. It is no small responsibility to stop or reroute the running game, rush the QB from inside the pocket, to deflect passes, and to pursue runners and running QBs on broken and unexpected plays. DTs who can make impact plays require lots of extra attention and can redact pages from the playbook. Somehow the flashier edge players get more money and notoriety but they are more easily replaced because although they find a way to make plays, they are not 300lb ballerinas.

I liked the Cidolfus breakdown of the Dolphins' and maybe a combination of mediocre vets and young upside talent is the best road for Miami's new Defense this year, but a top 5 DT in the league is worth the investment. Especially one who has great influence in the locker room. I can't think of another position where I would rather spend my resources.
I'm glad to see someone put forth this take, even though I do not completely share it.

I do think that DTs are underrated... at least a bit, even though I would be loathe to pay Wilkins the money he is likely to recieve.

Sadly... he wants twice the amount that Sieler signed for... and in a salary cap situation, I think we have to let him go.

I greatly value him... but not to that extent. We have a fixed amount of money and the amount that he will get... might buy us 4 starters.

I'm glad to see someone put forth this take, even though I do not completely share it.

I do think that DTs are underrated... at least a bit, even though I would be loathe to pay Wilkins the money he is likely to recieve.

Sadly... he wants twice the amount that Sieler signed for... and in a salary cap situation, I think we have to let him go.

I greatly value him... but not to that extent. We have a fixed amount of money and the amount that he will get... might buy us 4 starters.
Or we could have just taken care of business when we had the full compliment.

Now we need that $20M+ for the said 4 average starters...

Well... we couldn't put a gun to his head and force him to sign... and let's be honest, if we would have signed him to be market-setting contract two years ago, half this board would have melted down. I'm sure you remember the hundreds if posts declaring that Wilkins was a bum because he 'didn't get sacks'.

Well... we couldn't put a gun to his head and force him to sign... and let's be honest, if we would have signed him to be market-setting contract two years ago, half this board would have melted down. I'm sure you remember the hundreds if posts declaring that Wilkins was a bum because he 'didn't get sacks'.
Yep, while he was racking up more tackles at his position than any other DT in 20+ years...

But I agree with your take, Sieler with the same stats at half the salary really damages Wilkins standing.

He will.get it from someone else though, my money is on LALA Rams. The McVay connection, scheme fit, and to pair him with Donald would be deadly.

Plus they have the cap room.

Yep, while he was racking up more tackles at his position than any other DT in 20+ years...

But I agree with your take, Sieler with the same stats at half the salary really damages Wilkins standing.

He will.get it from someone else though, my money is on LALA Rams. The McVay connection, scheme fit, and to pair him with Donald would be deadly.

Plus they have the cap room.
I was one who argued for signing him for over two years, but CW kept betting on himself... and kept backing it up.
Now... I'm backing down. I like him a lot, both as a person and as a player, but the cap exists and you can't keep 'em all.
For the price of signing Wilkins, we could sign a starting TE, a starting ILB, a starting Safety... and we'd still have 5-10m left over (maybe to sign AVG).
That's an easy call for me.

It might seem impossible to most, but we might just come out of this with a better overall team then before and be in a much better position for the future. IF we stay disciplined!

There are a couple R1 options that I like in the draft, specifically Murphy and Darius Robinson.

If Miami keeps Davis, either of those two would add the pass rush element. Robinson has the versatility to play DE as well, which might ultimately be his best position. So he could set the edge and move inside on passing downs.

Trade down options would be Fiske, who I think ends up top 40 and Sweat. Sweat probably is more of the Baltimore type fit, which could be what Weaver is looking for.
I always love when somebody steals a DT in the draft and then everyone is shocked. Barmore was stolen mid second round. We could have had him but we took Holland, then NE traded up and grabbed him. Philly stole top 3 prospect Jalen Carter last year at #9. My GM role model is John Lynch, not for his trades but for his team structure. He drafted like 5 DT in the first round including Armstead and Buckner. He always has a top 5 front 7 using all of the tools and resources he needs to keep it that way. I would love to see Miami get a great deal on a DT in this draft, either a bargain top shelf guy or a later round upside guy, regardless of what they do in FA this year.

I always love when somebody steals a DT in the draft and then everyone is shocked. Barmore was stolen mid second round. We could have had him but we took Holland, then NE traded up and grabbed him. Philly stole top 3 prospect Jalen Carter last year at #9. My GM role model is John Lynch, not for his trades but for his team structure. He drafted like 5 DT in the first round including Armstead and Buckner. He always has a top 5 front 7 using all of the tools and resources he needs to keep it that way. I would love to see Miami get a great deal on a DT in this draft, either a bargain top shelf guy or a later round upside guy, regardless of what they do in FA this year.
Agree.

SF definitely prioritizes the defensive line. They did trade Buckner, but then took a DT in the 1st to replace him.

For the amount that Wilkins is chasing you can probably sign DJ Reader for half the amount and use the other half for a MLB and a safety.

If the Dolphins were that set on giving him what he wants I'd rather just push the boat out and get in the Chris Jones sweepstakes instead.

I still just don't get not using the tag on him and then trading him. I saw in another thread where somebody said you don't usually get value doing that. Seriously? Right now you are looking at getting nothing for a guy you drafted in the 1st round and is rated the #4 FA on the board. I am sorry but if he ends up walking and we get nothing, then that is a huge fail on CG part. Nobody will ever convince me that one of the other 31 NFL teams wouldn't have given up, at least a few decent draft picks to get him.

I still just don't get not using the tag on him and then trading him. I saw in another thread where somebody said you don't usually get value doing that. Seriously? Right now you are looking at getting nothing for a guy you drafted in the 1st round and is rated the #4 FA on the board. I am sorry but if he ends up walking and we get nothing, then that is a huge fail on CG part. Nobody will ever convince me that one of the other 31 NFL teams wouldn't have given up, at least a few decent draft picks to get him.

If you don’t have the cap space you can’t use the tag. It’s a pretty basic premise.

Back
Top Bottom