Illini | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Illini

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
The Big East and ACC lead, the rest of the nation follows!
And VT (pretty much a team built from Big East play and got their recruits from their big east play of the past few years) goes to GT and wins AT GT!!!!

Doesn't say much for the ACC when a team that was a doormat in the Big East for years, goes to the ACC and in their first year beats GT, one of the top teams in the conferrence! :lol: :lol:

MikeO said:
Nova' big over Kansas!

Lower level Big East team over the #2 overall team in the country! Big East looking strong once again.

It is but how come no mention of UMass(a low level A10 team) beating UConn? Or Pittsburgh losing to Bucknell? or ND losing to DePaul? or georgetown losing to Oral Roberts?

There is no doubt the ACC isn'y nearly as good as was expected at the beginning of the season BUT I still think it's the best but I am impressed w/ the BE. They don't have the # of big time teams but they have alot of good teams which is making it very competetive outside of SU(I can't count BC until they play some tough games)

I'd take the ACC's top 4, Wake, Duke, NC, and G-Tech over the top 4 of any other conference in the country!

Tonight may be the last chance for illinois to lose a reg season game(this game and at Iowa in a few weeks). Mich State isn't a great team but they are dangerous at home so there is a chance of an upste.

Illinois controlled the game from the start and won again. i think it's up to iowa, they went to OT at Champaigne so we'll see what happens in Iowa City..

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
It's put up or shut up time Wednesday nyjunc. Can't wait for this game!

I can't wait, K was practicing his fainting skills for that game :D It's going to be fun, the first time since '01 that both teams are in the top 10 when we meet(I assume duke won't drop 4 spots after the Wake loss).

It's time for round 1 of the BEST rivalry in ALL of sports as UNC will take the short trek over to Durham to take on Duke. It's the best rivalry in all of sports and anything can happen especially on the road but i'll be very surprised if the Heels don't win this one. The game itself should be great but there are a couple of individual battles that should be fun to watch w/ Shelden and May down low battling and jackie Manuel guarding JJ Redick. Jackie shut him down twice last year but I don't think it's possible to shut him down this year b/c he shoots 30 times a game so his point production makes it look like he had a good game evn though he shoots 6 for 23 or something like that. The bottom line is duke has no answer for Felton and McCants and Heels are better up front and can give May alot of help down low w/ Shelden. It will probably be close and they'll make me sweat but I expect a Heels win.

Sorry but Yankees-Red Sox is the best rivalry in sports. With that said this is the best rivalry in college sports. As far as depth, we can't sniff UNC but depth doesn't win games, games aren't won on paper. We'll just have to wait and see tomorrow night at around 11!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Sorry but Yankees-Red Sox is the best rivalry in sports. With that said this is the best rivalry in college sports. As far as depth, we can't sniff UNC but depth doesn't win games, games aren't won on paper. We'll just have to wait and see tomorrow night at around 11!

Yanks-Sox is nowhere near Carolina-duke all-time. Yanks-Sox is the most overblown rivlary but ther ahve only been a few stretches in history where the yanks and Sox have been huge rivals, specifically the mid-late 70s and the last couple of years and add in that the Sox have never done anything until last year it's nowhere near UNC-duke- here are some interesting facts:

--- It's been almost exactly 50 years since Duke and Carolina played and at least one of them was not ranked. The last unranked matchup was Feb. 25, 1955 when 17-7 Duke (which had been ranked as high as 17 earlier in the season) beat 10-9 UNC (unranked all year).

--- Since that game, Duke and UNC have played 132 times. UNC has won 77, Duke has won 55.

--- One or the other was ranked in every one of those 132 games. One or the other was ranked by the AP in 131 of those 132 games. When they met on Feb. 27, 1960 neither was ranked by the AP, but UNC was No. 12 in the coach's poll (run at the time by the UPI, now the ESPN/USA Today poll).

This streak is even more amazing that it looks on the surface, since for the first 35 years of the streak, the AP ranked just 20 teams (not until 89-90 did they go to a top 25). In fact, from 1960-61 through 1967-68, the AP only ranked a top 10 -- yet Duke and UNC still kept the streak going. -- Of those 132 games:

-- UNC was ranked in 108 of them
-- Duke was ranked in 80 of them
-- Both teams were ranked in 56 of them
-- Both teams were ranked in the top 10 in 36 of them
-- Both teams were ranked in the top 5 in 10 of them
-- One team or the other was ranked No. 1 in 23 of them (Duke 15 times; UNC 8); one team was ranked No. 2 19 times; one team was ranked No. 3 22 times; one team was ranked No. 4 19 times; one team was ranked No. 5 13 times.
-- At least one team was ranked in the top 10 in 105 of the 132 games
-- At least one team was ranked in the top 5 in 87 of 132 games!!

--- During the 50 seasons since they last met unranked, Duke and UNC have combined to win six national titles (three each) and to play in 28 Final Fours (14 each) ... Actually, since both were in the 1991 Final Four, that means that either Duke or UNC has played in 27 of the last 50 Final Fours -- over half!

-- Bad omen for UNC ... In the last 20 matchups when both have been ranked in the top 10 (as this one will be), the lower ranked team has won 13 times ... the higher ranked team 7 times.

I am a huge Yankee fan and it's not even close, I never even considered the Sox a rival until the last 2 years. I considered the Mets, O's, Jays, indians and others more rivals than the Sox were.

Duke-UNC is nice. But, Ohio St-Michigan football is better.

clear.gif

I'm not going to disrespect Carilona cause their a hell of a team but I think it's time you own up nyjunc and admit that Duke is a contender!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
clear.gif

I'm not going to disrespect Carilona cause their a hell of a team but I think it's time you own up nyjunc and admit that Duke is a contender!

Congrats on the W but I still don't think duke is a title contender and nothin that happened last night changed my mind. Carolina played as poorly as possible and duke played as well as they have all year and it was a 1 point win at home in a rivlary game. Like i have said a few times I expected UNC to win but anything can happen on the road in a rivalry game. I still think duke is a Sweet 16 type of team, I remember back in '92 when duke was #1 and the heels were around 20 and we beat duke at home in a 2 point game. It didn't mean we were a title contender and I still don't believe duke is a contender yet.

Back
Top Bottom