I'm beginning to believe that Watson will be traded! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'm beginning to believe that Watson will be traded!

But... He signed the contract. He should honor it, remember?
...and he had to. He ended up having to pay back quite a bit of his previously collected bonus money... and he could not play for anyone else. So, legally... he did.

This...Also do you REALLY want a Guy who thinks he is the QB/Coach/GM wrapped into 1?
All im saying is Deshawn seems to be the type who wants to micromanage his situation and we all know from experience that does not work well in Miami.
Landry ,Minkah , Drake and all the other who wanted a say are Bye Bye

Ill stick with Tua ...add weapons like Smith and his teammate at RB then take my chances
I was thinking along similar lines. These “I know better” players are nothing but trouble.

This...Also do you REALLY want a Guy who thinks he is the QB/Coach/GM wrapped into 1?
All im saying is Deshawn seems to be the type who wants to micromanage his situation and we all know from experience that does not work well in Miami.

Ill stick with Tua ...add weapons like Smith and his teammate at RB then take my chances
I'm leaning toward agreeing with you on this...

I'll give him a partial pass just because of how truly messed-up Houston has been.

IMO the whole story is overblown. Watson has essentially zero leverage to force a trade as he is under contract through 2025. The only reason Miami keeps getting linked to everything is that we have the Texans 1st and 2nd round picks this year and it makes for a clickbait story.

Watson is an excellent player, but his price would be way too high. Especially when you consider the cap hits of ~$40M in 2022-2025. I believe it would cripple us financially and make it very hard to surround him with offensive talent. We would most likely have to unload a defensive player like Howard, Jones or Van Noy in the trade just to give us wiggle room cap wise.
Replying to the bolded sections:
1) He has leverage because he is the only good thing that the franchise has going for it right now. No Picks. No money, and no HC to go with aging defensive players. He also has leverage because he had a no-trade clause in his contract so he can only be traded if he approves the team he is being shipped too.

2) I believe that the signing bonus has already been paid by the Texans on the contract. So instead his total contract for the next five years is actually closer to $129 mil over five years. Basically $26 mil per year. And next seasons base salary is bit over $10mil. That’s very affordable for his talent level.

I believe he will cost more than most want to pay at the moment. But I’m hoping that if the FO is interested in him, they will trade down from third overall to acquire more picks. Use the picks we pick up plus a second rounder to score Watson. That 2022 salary is quite a bit but his 2021 salary is so affordable, that we can make it work.

What are you talking about? Please take the time to do some reading. Management came to him, and said we are going to ask for your input moving forward, they went in another direction and he found out on twitter. That’s messed up and to put the icing on the cake when JJ Watt apologized to DW at the end of the final game, that is very telling about the direction of the organization. With that said as fans we are impatient because we’ve waited for so long for the team to have a franchise QB. It looks like one might be available so we should at least inquire about their asking price.

If he did any of those things he would lose all respect and credibility moving forward. There is a difference between holding out for a contract and just being a selfish, locker room cancer. If you really think the players hold the power you don’t understand how weak the NFL players association is compared to other major professional sports associations. At the very least I can almost guarantee they would violate him for breaking team rules or conduct detrimental to the team and he would lose a lot of money.
No, he wouldn't, because again you are forgetting a key thing ......he's a top 5 QB talent in the league and is 25 YEARS OLD!

He'd have a laundry list of teams wanting him, and would probably even get more money.

Jamal Adams, Josh Gordon, and Antonio Brown agree with me.

if there's a chance you can swing this trade, you absolutely do it.

people are really doubting Watson's drive? As Randy Moss said, the days of shut up and play are over. He should be pissed.

If those same people questioning Watson saw our GM burn assets and dish out disrespect like they do in HOU, they would be outraged.

Well his mega star status, and contact, didn't get the guy he wanted an interview. He should go buy a team and then he can make the management decisions. I doubt his ego will let him just go through the motions for the next 5 years.
You're correct, it won't last 5 years, because with the leverage he has Houston is on the clock and will have to settle this before next year starts. Longer they try to play tough, longer it sets back a rebuild.

In fact, they have until draft night really. They have zero draft capital this year. They need the picks to start the rebuild NOW. The teams with picks to give must use them for their future now. Otherwise they don't add anything much in the draft or FA (cap issues) and he's even more pissed off.

if there's a chance you can swing this trade, you absolutely do it.

people are really doubting Watson's drive? As Randy Moss said, the days of shut up and play are over. He should be pissed.

If those same people questioning Watson saw our GM burn assets and dish out disrespect like they do in HOU, they would be outraged.
It comes down to cost... It seems like Tua and X would be the opening bid, but I wonder how much more they'd actually expect... I wonder if we could throw in Grant and Hurns?

No...Don't need another Cancer.
Flores fumigated Our Locker Room, and If ANY of the Players aren't Sold, or aren't On Board with Flores (Especially Tua's Situation)....Theres the Door!!! Price Tag for Watson will be Ridiculous Anyways, just like X is going to be. And I don't want to See All of the Draft Capital Flores/Grier has built Us
Evaporate.....No Way, No How, Do I want Players that have a say in the Miami Brass' Decision Making. Whether it be Players or Front Office Personnel. Just Do Your Job...PLAY FOOTBALL!!!

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Please take the time to do some reading. Management came to him, and said we are going to ask for your input moving forward, they went in another direction and he found out on twitter. That’s messed up and to put the icing on the cake when JJ Watt apologized to DW at the end of the final game, that is very telling about the direction of the organization. With that said as fans we are impatient because we’ve waited for so long for the team to have a franchise QB. It looks like one might be available so we should at least inquire about their asking price.
I understand where you are coming from and I did do the reading BUT all I need to know is that Watson is crying out loud in the media because "His" feeling got hurt when things didnt go his way.
Thats what Im talkin bout

Yea...Every team in the NFL needs that Guy in the locker room to help provide unity. Ill ride Tua another season...give him weapons and a healthy team around him and hopefully it will pay off much like you see with Allen in Buffalo. I mean imagine if they had gave up on him after season 1.

QB's - particularly elite QB's - always hold all the leverage, because they have the rarest skillsets and are most valuable.
And thats the reson why they'll get value in a trade when push comes to shove...imo. Whats likely to happen is he's going to give them a list of teams he's willing to go and start from there. 3 teams is more than enough to drive up the price to, at the very least, fair value. Unless he's being unreasonable and says I want to go to one team and one team only. Thats where you might get the discount.

Honestly, if thats the route he decides to take, it would raise concerns for anyone trying to aquire him... Is this something he's going to do everytime he disagrees with calls being made upstairs? Ultimately, I think the only way he comes cheap enough for the Fins to consider it, is if he's being unreasonable enough for the Fins to not like the outlook.

I'd be so happy if Watson went to the Jaguars, and Lawrence falls in our lap.
I have no idea why you think the Texans would trade Watson to the Jaguars and then not pick Lawrence. Also if the Texans were actually dumb enough to not draft Lawrence, the Jets would take about one second to draft Lawrence with the second pick in the draft.

I think he will be gone, but the big questions are:
To whom?
When?
For what price?
I wouldn't give up much, especially the #3 pick

Deshaun Watson has no plans to be with the Texans anytime soon, per report - CBSSports.com

We would have to make a run for him, right? I love Tua but Watson is a game changer.
Another lynchpin of the organization is quite possibly on the move. Why is he staying? Give them Tua and the 18th and tell them happy 2021. That's the best offer they will get.

Back
Top Bottom