Industrial Psychology, and Why Adam Gase Will Fail as a Head Coach | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Industrial Psychology, and Why Adam Gase Will Fail as a Head Coach

First of all, thanks for the informative thread and the outside the box thinking and excellent approach that fit the generalizations that Gase is unfit for a head coaching position.

Here is an interview with Bill Walsh that highlights much of you have brought to the forefront:

Full article here: To Build A Winning Team

And you can make an informed opinion after 5 weeks? No offense but it looks like WV hacked your account these days...

I probably haven't seen or heard everything Gase has said, but from what I have heard, I think he has been more Approach A, than Approach B.

I like the Bill Walsh article and I think it is on point. Here, we do not know the behind the scenes, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that the cuts are not because guys were physically beaten. There are things like effort, toughness, doing your homework and knowing your assignments, etc. I would venture to guess that a coach uttered the phrase, "if you do not do X, we will find someone who will, and your *** will be cut." I suspect that Walsh was very demanding. He had some really sound players. There are intangibles there. Certainly, in terms of scheming, no one has ever been better than Walsh but he had a group of smart, tough players in all position groups, Craig, Cross, Rathman, Lott, Rice, Montana. That is a crew of winners.

I would put Pete Carroll into a similar category.

There is also the Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Bobby Knight, Bill Belichick, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban concept of being tough and demanding and being wide open about it. They also built up players too, which people forget, along the lines of Walsh's theories.

In my view, you have to be true to your personality. The question is, is Gase doing that? Fake toughness can be sniffed out by players.

First of all, thanks for the informative thread and the outside the box thinking and excellent approach that fit the generalizations that Gase is unfit for a head coaching position.

Here is an interview with Bill Walsh that highlights much of you have brought to the forefront:

Full article here: To Build A Winning Team

Have a great deal of respect for Walsh, but I'm not sure his moves always coincided with that article. For instance he started at SF in 1979, two years later he decided his WHOLE SECONDARY needed to be replaced, and drafted all the replacements. Worked out pretty well for him. The 1984 team we unfortunately played in the Super Bowl doesn't get near the credit it deserved. It was one of the better teams in NFL history. They were loaded everywhere.

I probably haven't seen or heard everything Gase has said, but from what I have heard, I think he has been more Approach A, than Approach B.

Most of his statements have been fine. But some have been cringeworthy.

Like Adam Gase publicly shaming DeVante Parker about playing through pain. That public comment made me cringe.

Dan Campbell could make that public statement, and get away with it.

But Adam Gase never played college or pro football, he never had his bones broken or blood shed on a college or pro football field, and the players know it.

If a rookie clipboard nerd wants to get 53 bandaged warriors in the locker room, to be motivated as a band of brothers and WANT to play hard for their leader, he shouldn't be publicly shaming players about playing through pain.

Most of his statements have been fine. But some have been cringeworthy.

Like Adam Gase publicly shaming DeVante Parker about playing through pain. That public comment made me cringe.

Dan Campbell could make that public statement, and get away with it.

But Adam Gase never played college or pro football, he never had his bones broken or blood shed on a college or pro football field, and the players know it.

If a rookie clipboard nerd wants to get 53 bandaged warriors in the locker room, to be motivated as a band of brothers and WANT to play hard for their leader, he shouldn't be publicly shaming players about playing through pain.

We've seen it in the movies, the motivational speech to out and face the enemy and crush them against the odds. If there was a reason he'd fail is his motivational speeches are not inspiring rather than other players saying "who the eff is this to say that about me." In the real world we all think that about our boss but we go out and perform. But I agree to your point to an extent. Real leaders are out their fighting the battle with their men and standing up for them in public. Behind closed doors you give it to them straight. Perhaps Gase is too honest to the media.

Normally I might agree with not going public, but in this case there was a lynch mob mentality building around Tannehill. A thing like that has teeth. I feel that stepping up to defend his QB was the right move by Gase. Other coaches have done the same thing in similar situations.

CLARIFICATION: This thread is about what a coach says to the public. It has nothing to do with a coach's decision to bench & cut certain players.

Approach A (Diplomatic): "Part of it is my fault, part of it is Tannehill's fault, part of it is the o-line. We need to work better as a team."

Approach B (Publicly Call People Out): "It's the o-line's fault" (link) and "He needs to play through pain" (link)

Adam Gase has been going with approach "B", but he's better off going with approach "A".

In order for a head coach to pull off approach "B", and publicly call people out, he needs a great deal of street cred.

Adam Gase doesn't have that street cred. He's a rookie head coach, with a losing record, who never played college or pro football. Virtually all NFL head coaches at least played some college football.

Veteran NFL players are going to think "Who the hell is this nerd, publicly saying that I need to play through pain, that it's my fault, publicly throwing me under the bus. He's never had his bones broken or blood shed on a college or pro football field. He wouldn't last 5 seconds in my world".

There's a good chance that the team is already quitting on him, mailing it in, and just collecting paychecks.

From an industrial psychology perspective, I predict that Adam Gase will fail as a head coach. Given his background (rookie head coach who never even played college football), and given his public persona (publicly call people out, publicly throw them under the bus), I highly doubt veteran warriors will be willing to sacrifice their lives & bodies for him, and follow him to the gates of hell.

As I said on another thread, Adam Gase might be better suited to be a strategist (offensive coordinator).

For 4 weeks we heard Gase as type A in your example.

When that doesnt get results he has every right to move on to type B.

I can only assume here, but I'm pretty damn sure all these guys were put on notice by Gase for weeks prior to this game.

CLARIFICATION: This thread is about what a coach says to the public. It has nothing to do with a coach's decision to bench & cut certain players.

Approach A (Diplomatic): "Part of it is my fault, part of it is Tannehill's fault, part of it is the o-line. We need to work better as a team."

Approach B (Publicly Call People Out): "It's the o-line's fault" (link) and "He needs to play through pain" (link)

Adam Gase has been going with approach "B", but he's better off going with approach "A".

In order for a head coach to pull off approach "B", and publicly call people out, he needs a great deal of street cred.

Adam Gase doesn't have that street cred. He's a rookie head coach, with a losing record, who never played college or pro football. Virtually all NFL head coaches at least played some college football.

Veteran NFL players are going to think "Who the hell is this nerd, publicly saying that I need to play through pain, that it's my fault, publicly throwing me under the bus. He's never had his bones broken or blood shed on a college or pro football field. He wouldn't last 5 seconds in my world".

There's a good chance that the team is already quitting on him, mailing it in, and just collecting paychecks.

From an industrial psychology perspective, I predict that Adam Gase will fail as a head coach. Given his background (rookie head coach who never even played college football), and given his public persona (publicly call people out, publicly throw them under the bus), I highly doubt veteran warriors will be willing to sacrifice their lives & bodies for him, and follow him to the gates of hell.

As I said on another thread, Adam Gase might be better suited to be a strategist (offensive coordinator).

For 4 weeks we heard Gase as type A in your example.

When that doesnt get results he has every right to move on to type B.

I can only assume here, but I'm pretty damn sure all these guys were put on notice by Gase for weeks prior to this game.

Adam Gase's public comment about DeVante Parker needing to play through pain was on August 31, 2016. That was before the season even started.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rn-how-to-push-through-certain-kinds-of-pain/

this X infinity.

I have no degree in industrial psychology, but I do own and run a construction business, not that it compares to running a football team, but neither does your post so... I will tell you this though, for whatever your employees have in mind, finishing early, making bonuses whatever, if someone or a group of guys prevents the good ones from reaching their goal because they either suck, or dont give a **** they relentlessly let me know about it until I satisfy their request.... because the good ones are rare and essentially the ones who make the business work....

Happy players today are the good ones, because the coach just cut 3 bad ones.... unhappy players today are the guys who feel pressure to perform better, they're not happy right now, because now they have to ****ing work to keep their job.... If Gase loses the locker room over this, it just means we had a locker room full of bad workers.... simple as that...

It's not as simple as that. Calling out players publicly, as a rookie head coach will get you nowhere in the NFL. Dude has won one game and it is tough to even call that a victory. I said it a couple weeks ago but this team is about to implode on Gase. These units are tight knit and if you think calling out one guy for bad play is going to create cohesion you are not paying attention. Team is riddled w/ bad "workers". Too many bad "workers" is on management. You can only run a team so far with a handful of happy players, eventually it's on coaching to make things work and stop pointing fingers. Not going to find to many "happy" free agents that are going to buy into a dismal team w/ a newbie coach that throws you under the bus for your play in 5 games (see that works both ways for those saying give Gase a chance it's only been 5 games).

I agree with your post, but your post has nothing to do with my post.

My post was about publicly calling people out and publicly throwing them under the bus.

I edited my original post for clarity.

I have zero problem with the fact that "coach just cut 3 bad players".

We've had coaches who tried plan A, and that obviously did not work. And Gase is not publicly saying "Ja'Wuan James sucks" or so and so looks like garbage. He is not throwing people "under the bus".

And saying someone needs to play through pain is NOT throwing them under the bus. If a player lets something like that bother him then the player doesn't belong in the NFL. We need some guys who are mentally and physically tough. No more wussies.

Back
Top Bottom