Intangibles or Luck? | The 2017 Dolphins Should be 2-4 | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Intangibles or Luck? | The 2017 Dolphins Should be 2-4

Is it intangibles or luck?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
gase called that game last night like he has lost complete faith in the offense...first game I felt that way...like I could literally feel him waiving a white flag situationally...

and I will say it again it starts with the qb limitations...but now it's permeating into lack of faith with his skill guys even

gase called that game last night like he has lost complete faith in the offense...first game I felt that way...like I could literally feel him waiving a white flag situationally...

and I will say it again it starts with the qb limitations...but now it's permeating into lack of faith with his skill guys even

And that was against a team with a pass defense even worse than the Dolphins', as well as a very bad downfield pass defense, where the kind of aggression you're citing as lacking could've been put to use.

Instead, the Dolphins let Derek Carr slice them up down the field.

that 3 step is to force the qb to stand in

he isn't standing in on anything else so we went heavy 3 step...but that's so much strain on high level execution all the way down the field at a slow pace and considering there is no longer even a threat at running back to worry about we got a major mess

but I'm seeing gase call route concepts and calls with the skill guys that tell me that he has lost faith in their ability to execute anything else...so im expecting big changes on o this offseason...unless he thinks the qb can right most of them...

what cutler gives us more than anything else is correct coverage ids and protection calls...I think in that regard gase trust him...I don't think he does in much else though

this team hasn't hit a 16 yard square in all season...that's telling

that 3 step is to force the qb to stand in

he isn't standing in on anything else so we went heavy 3 step...but that's so much strain on high level execution all the way down the field at a slow pace and considering there is no longer even a threat at running back to worry about we got a major mess

but I'm seeing gase call route concepts and calls with the skill guys that tell me that he has lost faith in their ability to execute anything else...so im expecting big changes on o this offseason...unless he thinks the qb can right most of them...

what cutler gives us more than anything else is correct coverage ids and protection calls...I think in that regard gase trust him...I don't think he does in much else though

this team hasn't hit a 16 yard square in all season...that's telling

...involving scoring drives that are less likely to be sustained, whereas the Raiders were able to get "cheaper" scores and more efficient drives in the form of downfield passing against the Dolphins' pass defense.

And then when offensive penalties are committed amidst the need for sustained drives, they're all but impossible to result in scores.

You basically have one team that's able to fly down the field and score, and another that simply sputters.

Few explosive plays and a TE carving us up. Uncanny how much things stay the same.

...involving scoring drives that are less likely to be sustained, whereas the Raiders were able to get "cheaper" scores and more efficient drives in the form of downfield passing against the Dolphins' pass defense.

And then when offensive penalties are committed amidst the need for sustained drives, they're all but impossible to result in scores.

You basically have one team that's able to fly down the field and score, and another that simply sputters.

it doesn't help that derek carr was spot on with his coverage reads...spot on...we had a couple chances to make plays and didn't...a tipped likely int on an overthrown screen pass that kiko may have walked in and a trap zone coverage with bobby McCain who for some damn reason had his eyes on the outside wr too long and thus gave the qb the window to make the throw...they should have paid for both

when good qbs make mistakes if you don't capitalize you don't get many more opportunities and we were 0 fer

carr chewed up that damn under zone coverage on repeat...drops by their skill guys only thing that really kept us in it

Consistent with this thread, an article by Bill Barnwell today from ESPN.com:

We also can use the Pythagorean expectation to project games over a half-season, although it's more subject to sheer variance over a smaller sample, in the same way that a baseball player is more likely to hit .400 over a week than he would over a season. Teams that have outperformed their Pythagorean expectation in the first half of the season, all else being equal, would be likely to decline during the second half. Here are the five biggest overachievers from the first half of the season:

The 2016 Dolphins also grossly outperformed their point differential, winning 10 games despite being outscored by 17 points. The 2017 team has looked truly awful for stretches and pulled out some fortuitous narrow victories. The Dolphins beat the Chargers in Week 2 when they successfully iced a 44-yard Younghoe Koo field goal try. They got to face Matt Cassel as opposed to Marcus Mariota and won on a fumble return against the Titans. Even the games without luck have been a struggle: a late interception of Matt Ryan kept their game against the Falcons from heading to overtime, and it took a 17-point fourth-quarter comeback to beat the Jets. Miami is likely to improve on offense, but it's not a good football team by any stretch of the imagination.

Back
Top Bottom