Interesting Comparison- Phins OL 2012 vs 2013 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting Comparison- Phins OL 2012 vs 2013

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
In 2012, the OL had new coaches, new ZBS scheme, and players who did not fit. Yet that OL gave up 20 sacks, and everyone was better on the run (Cog was a bit off). Pouncey, Jerry, Cog, and Martin played almost every snap, with Big Jake having some injuries playing 75%, and Garner filling in for the rest.

In 2013, the L had the same coaches, same scheme, and the same players who did not fit. Yet that OL gave up 41 sacks, and everyone was worse on the run. Jerry played all the snaps but, the rest were mix and match for most of the year.

So, the question is if it was the talent, fit, and coaching or, playing together as a unit which caused the disastrous OL play in 2013?

E. all of the above.

If we would have had the same problem or worse in 2012, I would agree but we did not, and we only had to bass block on 90 more plays. Also we had a rookie QB in 2012.

We did not have the same players in 2013 that we had in 2012. Jon Martin replaced Jake Long at LT. Tyson Clabo replaced Jon Martin at RT. Reggie Bush was a playmaker that Lamar Miller is only hoping to become and was able to get a lot of yards after contact that none of the running backs was able to.

If we would have had the same problem or worse in 2012, I would agree but we did not, and we only had to bass block on 90 more plays. Also we had a rookie QB in 2012.

We had 2 new OTs in 2013, the departure of Anthony Fasano, the implementation of a vertical passing game, predictable play calling, lack of leadership resulting in bullygate, John Jerry playing himself into shape, the loss of 2 OL starters mid-season, loss of Reggie Bush and no running game, ect.

Bascially, 2012 and 2013 were not even close to comparison. You cant hold these OLs up side by side and expect them to have played the same.

We did not have the same players in 2013 that we had in 2012. Jon Martin replaced Jake Long at LT. Tyson Clabo replaced Jon Martin at RT. Reggie Bush was a playmaker that Lamar Miller is only hoping to become and was able to get a lot of yards after contact that none of the running backs was able to.

Martin played almost every snap as a rookie RT but changed to the left side. That's 4 of 5, and Jake did have i9njuries. The RB's had no effect on the individual grade and rank of the OL's blocking.

90 more passing plays is a lot. That is 5 to 6 a game.

I think the reason is

F. Our offense was one dimensional.

Martin played almost every snap as a rookie RT but changed to the left side. That's 4 of 5, and Jake did have i9njuries. The RB's had no effect on the individual grade and rank of the OL's blocking.

Changing sides is not easy and from what I saw...Martin did not perform nearly as well as Long did in both pass protection or run blocking. As Zounds mention, not having Fasano to assist with in-line blocking also had an effect.

Only 3 of 5 players were in the same position to start the 2013 season as they were in 2012.

We had 2 new OTs in 2013, the departure of Anthony Fasano, the implementation of a vertical passing game, predictable play calling, lack of leadership resulting in bullygate, John Jerry playing himself into shape, the loss of 2 OL starters mid-season, loss of Reggie Bush and no running game, ect.

Bascially, 2012 and 2013 were not even close to comparison. You cant hold these OLs up side by side and expect them to have played the same.

Fasano and the RB's do not enter in here for the OL's blocking the predictable play calling was even more evident in 2012 with no receivers, and Jerry played better in 2012.

The loss of starters, and having to make many changes is my point in what happened in 2013. The OL plays as a single unit, and all the changes hurt their play.

martin moving to the left is essentially a change. clabo in at RT is another. incog missing half the season is another, pouncey missing a few games is another. The two years can't be compared apples to apples.

Fasano and the RB's do not enter in here for the OL's blocking the predictable play calling was even more evident in 2012 with no receivers, and Jerry played better in 2012.

The loss of starters, and having to make many changes is my point in what happened in 2013. The OL plays as a single unit, and all the changes hurt their play.

The predictable play calling was not more evident in 2012 because we ran the ball almost 100 times more than in 2013.

The OL plays as a single unit with the help of the TEs and RBs.

martin moving to the left is essentially a change. clabo in at RT is another. incog missing half the season is another, pouncey missing a few games is another. The two years can't be compared apples to apples.

I believe we are thinking the same. I'm not comparing apples to apples, just showing the difference in the OL playing together a whole year vs all the changes. Even Pouncey went from being VG on the run to barely average.

:confused:

Of course they do. They absolutely had a role in preventing sacks. The OL is about scheme, not just 1v1 matchups for the OL positions. After all the schooling FH has given you over the years on OL, come on man. Fasano was asked to stay in and block quite a bit. That helps the OL as a whole avoid sacks. And Reggie Bush...having a running game helped a ton. Defenses had to respect the run. Of course these guys had an effect on the OL.

The predictable play calling was not more evident in 2012 because we ran the ball almost 100 times more than in 2013.

The OL plays as a single unit with the help of the TEs and RBs.

We ran more in 2012 because we had no receivers and a rookie QB, That's as predictable as can be.

I was only focusing on the OL play. If you want to go TE's. in 2012 there were 0 sacks. and in 2013 Sims gave up 2.

Thing is, the Martin that played L-Tackle In 2013, was not the same player he was 2012 or (even though that version of Martin was not exactly full of potential) or the player Long was before getting hurt. Martin in 2013 played scared, confused, and maybe already (After talking to Mom) was contemplating bullygate from the start, so he might have also not cared much. Basically he played bad...really bad in 2013.

Martin looked bad in 2012 at R-tackle, but still was not nearly as bad as Clabo was from the beginning.

Cog was not playing lights out in 2013 either, but once he was suspended, it got much worse for Miami on the left side. Jerry also was nothing special, don't know if he was better or worse in 2013 then 2012, but either way he was bad.

Add to that as Zounds said, not having Fasano who was as reliable a pass-blocking TE, as we've had in a while, and trying to complete deep passes with Miami new toy (Wallace), even though there was normally little time to get the pass deep accurately.

I hope they can get these problem resolved, could get ugly again if they can't.

Back
Top Bottom