Interesting deep ball chart after 2 weeks. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting deep ball chart after 2 weeks.

Cutler is bound to be at the top of any deep attempts list. There will be plenty of deep passes

I was actually surprised when Cutler didn't attempt but one deep pass in the first half. I was expecting more...and Gase took the leash off in the second half.

I watch Kizer last week...awful. He tried to win the game on every throw. Constantly throwing deep...and missing badly. Ball placement is terrible. He threw everything low or high week 1 and luckily his receivers caught a lot of those low balls but there was no YAC because of his terrible ball placement. He was even worse against the Ravens. Kevin Hogan actually played better when Kizer left the game with migraines. Hogan was the QB when the Browns scored their 10 points.

Also surprising to see Flacco at the bottom of that list. He's always been more of a vertical passer.

I'm much more concerned with completion percentage than attempts. Yes, you have to take shots but when you heave 50/50 balls (or 30/70 but are gambling on DVP to bail you out) it's going to lead to more bad than good.

The long pass to DVP was grossly under-thrown as was the TD pass to Stills who had to adjust and come under the defender for the catch. Although I am very aware that he needs time to adapt to the timing of his new receiver, at the same time I was also not impressed.

I'm much more concerned with completion percentage than attempts. Yes, you have to take shots but when you heave 50/50 balls (or 30/70 but are gambling on DVP to bail you out) it's going to lead to more bad than good.

The long pass to DVP was grossly under-thrown as was the TD pass to Stills who had to adjust and come under the defender for the catch. Although I am very aware that he needs time to adapt to the timing of his new receiver, at the same time I was also not impressed.
I do have some concerns about this. Eventually that safety is going to start cheating over to DVP's side of the field. Good in that it leaves Stills one-on-one to go deep but Cutler has been woefully underthrowing the deep ball in every game since preseason as a Dolphin. Stills is not a jump ball player, although he does a great job of adjusting to the pass and shows great body control, he's not stealing one from a DB like DVP can. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Parker made a hell of a play on the underthrown jump ball, but Cutler laid it right in there perfectly on the 31yd lob to Parker in the fourth. Cutler didn't all of a sudden lose arm strength, I watched all of the pregame warmups and his arm is fine. He's got a cannon.

I'd have to agree the one to DVP was a little underthrown but only really by a foot or two. I'm cool with that margin of error for game one with a new team.

Have to disagree regarding Stills. By letting Stills come under it the defender only had the options of letting him catch it or getting a PI in the end zone by going through him. Doubt that was in Jay's mind as he was scrambling but it was placed well.

With Stills, Landry, and DVP there is no reason Cutler can't use every level of the defense for opportunity. Plus teams have to keep an eye on Ajayi so they can't just sit back in coverage. Good balance on the team

I'd have to agree the one to DVP was a little underthrown but only really by a foot or two. I'm cool with that margin of error for game one with a new team.

Have to disagree regarding Stills. By letting Stills come under it the defender only had the options of letting him catch it or getting a PI in the end zone by going through him. Doubt that was in Jay's mind as he was scrambling but it was placed well.

With Stills, Landry, and DVP there is no reason Cutler can't use every level of the defense for opportunity. Plus teams have to keep an eye on Ajayi so they can't just sit back in coverage. Good balance on the team

If I'm being honest, I have to disagree with myself, too. Hiding my contempt for Cutler is difficult.

Parker made a hell of a play on the underthrown jump ball, but Cutler laid it right in there perfectly on the 31yd lob to Parker in the fourth. Cutler didn't all of a sudden lose arm strength, I watched all of the pregame warmups and his arm is fine. He's got a cannon.
It's not a question of arm strength on the deep ball, it's a question of timing and accuracy. You can think Cutler meant to throw that ball at that exact spot...truth is if he leads Parker it's probably a touchdown. Parker had two yards on the defender, safety only came over to push Parker out because Parker had to stop his momentum to come back to the ball and leap over the defender. Cutler leads him it's an easy six. Cutler has been underthrowing the deep ball...saw it all through preseason.

I thought the Stills pass was slightly behind him but Cutler was on the run so

I really think the entire game plan was tweaked to keep the offense on the field as long as possible to protect the D with Timmons going AWOL.

Last edited:
What's going to keep the S from cheating to Stills or Parker's side is Ajayi.

Leave 7 in the box? He's gonna go for 200 especially if Pouncey stays healthy. Put 8 to stop Jay? Say hi to DVP highlights MOSSIN fools.

Miami has a legit offense.

What's going to keep the S from cheating to Stills or Parker's side is Ajayi.

Leave 7 in the box? He's gonna go for 200 especially if Pouncey stays healthy. Put 8 to stop Jay? Say hi to DVP highlights MOSSIN fools.

Miami has a legit offense.
I think the chargers loaded the box all game and it didn't matter. Ajayi just runs through you

Back
Top Bottom