interesting draft read including a nfc scout and my man mike mayocks take... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

interesting draft read including a nfc scout and my man mike mayocks take...

i do agree with the point read in this article about getting a 1st round talent only thru like pick 20...that after that you come away with guys with 2nd round grades...and i think if you trade down you have to keep that in mind...do you lose a first round talent to acquire an extra second rounder etc

when i was looking at that walterfootball mock a few weeks back i kept thinking even by pick #16 that i didn't really like the talent at that slot even that was still on the board with that high a pick...and with some of these kids going back to school i think its gotten even worse of late

we'll see

I think a lot of it has to do with the draft being a big lopsided - in a way that doesn't particularly help Miami this year. There's a lot of 1st RD talent on D - not a ton on offense. But, the guys who are 1st RD talents on offense are pretty high 1st RD talents - A. Green, J. Jones, M. Ingram, B. Gabbert, C. Newton, and I expect Mallett to go pretty high. Any or all of them could go top-15. There seems to be a pretty clear divide on offense between 1st and 2nd RD guys. Seems a little more muddled - and deep - on D. But, Miller and Quinn are much better OLB prospects than any of the OLB prospects last season; the CB prospects are much stronger - especially at the top -; I wouldn't rate Fairley or Dareus as high as Suh, but I'd rate both higher than McCoy; Bowers and Quinn are better than any of the 4-3 DE prospects last year. FS looks considerably weaker, but Thomas and Berry are rare players. Overall, though, I'd take this draft for D 100 out of 100 times over last season's group.

How can you like Newton when he throws off of one foot all the time and when he is out of balance? A lot of his throws are to avoid a sack he just throws it up there, that is a recipe for disaster in the NFL. Sure he is big and strong and can run but you need more than that in the NFL.

How can you like Newton when he throws off of one foot all the time and when he is out of balance? A lot of his throws are to avoid a sack he just throws it up there, that is a recipe for disaster in the NFL. Sure he is big and strong and can run but you need more than that in the NFL.

An excerpt from Pat Kirwan's book Take Your Eye Off The Ball:

- Marino always tells me the same thing, "If I worked out a quarterback for an NFL team," he says, "he'd have to show me 100 throws off his back foot." Still, too many scouts will downgrade a quarterback prospect for throwing off his back foot. In a collapsing pocket, it's actually an important skill to have. -

I haven't seen a lot of games out of Cam or witnessed these types of plays from him, but if Newton can make these throws, than kudos to him.

An excerpt from Pat Kirwan's book Take Your Eye Off The Ball:

- Marino always tells me the same thing, "If I worked out a quarterback for an NFL team," he says, "he'd have to show me 100 throws off his back foot." Still, too many scouts will downgrade a quarterback prospect for throwing off his back foot. In a collapsing pocket, it's actually an important skill to have. -

I haven't seen a lot of games out of Cam or witnessed these types of plays from him, but if Newton can make these throws, than kudos to him.

Great quote. I'm going to use that, if you don't mind (I know you were just quoting an excerpt but you deserve credit for finding it).

This is the reason Pat Devlin is not among the QBs I want for the Dolphins. The Dolphins should be limited to one of the big three, either Gabbert, Newton or Mallett.

I would, however, take T.J. Yates if he made it to the lower rounds...and actually pair him up with the top pick.

What do you think of Pat Devlin?

I think he's a decent quarterback prospect. He's not what Miami needs, because he's a low percentage guy. The arm strength issues for me are big. He needs his feet under him and full follow thru to drive the football. That's great if you have a clean pocket...but in the NFL you don't always have that. What's worse is that his nervousness when the pocket starts to collapse, to me, is probably related to his lack of naturally big arm. So might be the fact that he checks off his deeper receivers before they've even had half a chance to get into their routes, opting for all the underneath checkdown stuff, using his eyes to open those players up. If you keep trying to get away with that in the NFL, eventually you'll get squeezed, and someone's going to blitz the crap out of you and simultaneously suffocate your short receivers, and make you prove something.

I mean, he's extremely accurate on those short balls. He can go an entire game throwing maybe 2 or 3 uncatchable balls. He really uses his eyes well to manipulate the defense, and he goes through his progressions, so you know he has a sense of what everyone on the field is doing. That doesn't mean he's reading the field well, it just means he knows what his receivers are doing. You do wonder if he's hurrying through his progressions a la Chad Henne.

For me, question #1 is whether Chad Henne could play in a different system? West coast perhaps? I'm more convinced that we need a modern pass-oriented offensive scheme than a new QB and talent. Our OL is good enough but no-one in the NFL can run all of the time when the defense knows it's coming and then pass when you have to (and they know it's coming). I like Henne's toughness in the pocket, clutch 3rd down throws, and his arm strength. He reminds me a little of Cutler...who had a horrible year under the wrong coaching but has come around under Martz. Henne's errant throws and the defenses' continued inadequacy on third down doomed this team this year but I'm not for starting over. Let's start with a new OC.

Richmondweb

Im interested Ck. With the possibility that the top 3 may be gone & the likely scenario we will attempt to regain a 2nd.......would you consider Vince Young?

Im interested Ck. With the possibility that the top 3 may be gone & the likely scenario we will attempt to regain a 2nd.......would you consider Vince Young?

IF the draft does not go well, somehow we try and trade up to get the guy(s) we want but we strike out, then yes. We need someone and even if he's a borderline psycho, getting him would be better than trying to win with dog meat at the position.

Back
Top Bottom