interesting tidbit about the difference in reciever coaches | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

interesting tidbit about the difference in reciever coaches

ltfinfan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
interesting tidbit about the difference in dolphins reciever coaches

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/custom/blogs/Dolphins/archives/000148.html#more

-Jerry Sullivan had veteran receivers like J.R. Tolver, Sam Simmons, Snoop Minnis, Kendall Newson and Terrence Wilkins practicing their routes during the "rookies" only practice. This is a good sign. Not only do the players like Sullivan, they are willing to work for him. Now, as for the difference between Sullivan and former receivers coach Robert Ford, who most all players adored, Tolver said that Ford allowed receivers freedom of creativity in the way they ran their routes. Screw that, Sullivan says, every single route should be run the same way every single time.

i wonder if running the routes the way they were designed will be the difference. i wonder how much freedom they had last year

Route running is so important in this league. The QB has to believe you are going to be where your supposed to be. Now, I understand that there are check offs and the reciever breaks the route. However, the QB must read the same thing and be on the "same page."

I agree..I read that yesterday and was pretty surprised. That definately explains some of the problems our recievers had with getting seperation last year.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
I agree..I read that yesterday and was pretty surprised. That definately explains some of the problems our recievers had with getting seperation last year.
Routes has nothing to do with seperation. Seperation has to do with speed and the players ability to break away from the defender.

Chambers will do fine, but guys like thompson who cant even get away from a nickle back needs to worry. I think thompson needs a jetpack..

AquaAssasin said:
Routes has nothing to do with seperation. Seperation has to do with speed and the players ability to break away from the defender.

Chambers will do fine, but guys like thompson who cant even get away from a nickle back needs to worry. I think thompson needs a jetpack..

Tell that to Jerry Rice, not exactly the fastest man, however he gets lot of seperation. Tell that to Steve Largent. Seperation has to do with speed, route running and quickness.

AquaAssasin said:
Routes has nothing to do with seperation. Seperation has to do with speed and the players ability to break away from the defender...
:roflmao:Stop and think about what you just posted.

Routes have a lot to do with seperation. If you are running a comeback route the ball is in the air before you turn around. Seperation is all about timing, and so are routes. If it is all about speed then the NFL should be filled with track stars.

AquaAssasin said:

DAN MARINO ONCE SAID THESE YOUNG GUYS THINK THEY CAN OUT RUN SOME DB'S BUT IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT SPEED IT'S ABOUT SETTING UP THE DEFENDER WITH MOVES AND RUNNING THE RIGHT ROUT SOME DB'S ARE AS FAST IF NOT FASTER THAN SOME RECIEVERS!!!

The thing about free-lancing your routes is you have to be so comfortable with your qb that you know you are thinking the same thing as he is, for example Harrison and Manning. Feidler has missed major time the last two years and we have had some serious wr turnover. Now we aren't even sure who will be under center. I don't think there is enough of a connection between our wr's and qb to improvise much out there. I'm glad perciseness in our route running is being stressed, may cut down on turnovers in the long run.
Also, i believe if a wr with average speed is a very good route runner and sells his fakes he can get seperation. Mabie not a home run baller, but someone who moves the chains.

The main thing about seperation is making the DB think you are going where you are not. Route running is meant to help you succeed in getting that half step or turning the DB's hips around....

--Ross

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Tell that to Jerry Rice, not exactly the fastest man, however he gets lot of seperation. Tell that to Steve Largent. Seperation has to do with speed, route running and quickness.
it has alot to do with speed and quickness not so much route running..

As for jerry rice he had alot of speed and to mention the fact that it was a west coast offense. short passing routes, high percentage plays..

Jerrry rice turned short yardage plays into long ones due to his after the catch play ability and speed..

DoLpHiNz34 said:
:roflmao:Stop and think about what you just posted.
I did, so whats your point...My comment was about thompson...he was a bust...

TRUDOLFAN54 said:
DAN MARINO ONCE SAID THESE YOUNG GUYS THINK THEY CAN OUT RUN SOME DB'S BUT IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT SPEED IT'S ABOUT SETTING UP THE DEFENDER WITH MOVES AND RUNNING THE RIGHT ROUT SOME DB'S ARE AS FAST IF NOT FASTER THAN SOME RECIEVERS!!!
true, very true...I just think thompson isnt going to cut it...

Back
Top Bottom