Interresting stats, follow up on offense balance.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NBP81, Nov 26, 2013.

1. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

This is a follow up on shouright`s thread regarding the teams lack of rushing attempts. Got curious so I took a look at playoffs teams from the last 4 seasons(since 2009) and I wasn't really surprised of the results... The Fins are on pace to end the season with 336 rushing attempts. The team with the least rushing attempts to make the playoffs in the last four years are the 2011 Detroit Lions with 356. Out of all those playoff teams(48), only 9 made it with less than 400 attempts. Only 2 of those are from the AFC, the 2009 and 2010 Peyton Manning Colts.... NFC teams who made it with less than 400 carries: GB(395), DET(356), ATL(378), NO(380), PHI(384), SEA(385), ARI(365). Now for those who think what we're running is that famous GB offense, consider this, the lower amount of carries that team has put out since 2009 is 395 in 2011 and averages to 422 carries a season. So let me ask you this, WHY do these coaches, who have QBs such as Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Tom Brady feel like they have to run the ball to have success as a football team. And more importantly, why do some fans think that Ryan Tannehill, in his second pro football season, should be able to do so when absolutely nobody has done it in the last four years?(Im pretty sure it goes much further than that, just too lazy to go further) Its not an excuse guys...

2. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

Because ____________________ says so..., silly...

3. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

The only thing that I really think stands out from both threads as a definate is that teams that are one dimensional don't succeed often

4. NBP81

I actually think you'd have a shot if your unbalanced the other way around. Running too much is still better than not running enough...

5. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

Agreed...but if you want to win superbowls you need both...and a sick D

6. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

The reason we're not running the football is because we can't do it. I'd rather have Tannehill complete a 4 yard pass than Lamar Miller running for negative yards. There's only one game where the running game looked decent and that was against the Bengals when we had six offensive linemen out there. Don't know why we're not doing this more, especially at the end of the season when weather is a factor and has a negative impact on the passing game.

7. Shouright

Shouright Banned Hammered

The Dolphins average 4.1 yards per carry, which is the league average. If the Dolphins "can't do it," then neither can half the teams in the league.

8. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

The answer is simple: good QBs. If you have a good QB you can run more because defenses won't dare you to beat them in the air by loading up the box, they already know that is not a good gamble. If Aaron Rogers was our QB on Sunday him and Wallace would have hooked up for at least 4 or 5 TDs. Then with a 30-40 point lead you'll have a lot more flexibility to mix in more runs. Until Tannehill proves he can destroy 8 man fronts with his arm he won't get the same respect as those playoff contenders.

9. Shouright

There we are. The typical belief is that the quarterback needs a running game in order to perform better, but that works in reverse, as well.

10. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Who the QB is plays a significant role in balance and each individual teams definition of balance. The Dolphins with RT need an offense that has an equal mix of run and pass. The Jets with Geno Smith need an offense that features more running than throwing. The Saints can throw the ball more because they have the luxury of having Drew Brees but, they still have to have an effective ground game. Keep in mind these are just examples.

Not a fan of the stats threads that have been getting posted lately but both this and Shou's thread on this topic are a good use of statistical data.

11. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Hot Sauce Moderator Finheaven VIP

Usually losing teams have low rushing attempts when they abandon the run because of playing catch up in the second half. It seems like that's our motto, even though we have led almost every game in the 4th quarter. What drives me crazy is when we get inside the 5 or 10 , it seems like we rarely run the ball.

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

I am curious to know what that number is if you take tannehill's rushes out of that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
  12. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

Some, but in the end it still comes down to the o-line.....

Just this season some of the better rushing team have some of the poorer QB's

Jets, Bills, Oakland, Minnesota....all have good run games.

Last season the Packers struggled due to their poor run game...

For the Dolphins it is more of an issue with the line and the RB's....the threat of the pass will prevent teams from going with 8 in the box and most are not going 8 in the box on the Dolphins and are easily stopping them with a standard front or even in nickle formation.

Again, I'm not discrediting the idea that having an elite QB opens up things (it obviously does), but the offensive line plays a even larger role.

13. MartinTheSNAKE

MartinTheSNAKE Seasoned Veteran Donator

but we can't do it consistently. Our average is inflated because Miller gets 1 yd. 1 yd. -3 yd. 3 yd 1 yd. -5 yd. 40 yard 1 yd 2 yd. 0 yd 0 yd 4 yd -1 yd 17 yd... Etc.

14. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Agree. Anyone remember our dreadful rushing performance in the '84 SB? We lost because our 5 linemen couldn't run block against 3 down linemen - resulting in 8 total rushing yards for the game. Marino was reduced to 3-long all day and inspite of throwing for 322 our drives all stalled for FGs. We tried to run to get some balance going but our 5 couldn't block their 3 and they had 8 DBs in to try and contain our passing game. If Dan couldn't do it then, what makes us think RT can do it now?

15. Shouright

This is correct, because when you regress QB rating, net YPA, OL pass blocking (as measured by PFF), and OL run blocking (as measured by PFF) against yards per carry, the only significant predictor of yards per carry is OL run blocking.

However, the Dolphins' OL run blocking is no worse than that of the average team in the league, which suggests they should be running at least as much, if not more (with a developmental QB), than the average team.

16. nyashfan

nyashfan For Earth Below

Shouright - I had another thought pertaining to the argument that the Dolphins' rushing yards per attempt places them in the middle of the pack, implying that their unwillingness to run the ball is not related to their lack of success.

How important is the standard deviation of a team's yards per rush? The eyeball test leads one to believe that the Dolphins are among the least successful teams running the ball. It seems that the Dolphins' average yards per rush might be inflated by a handful of large gains offset by a plethora of below average gains.

I would expect that teams whose rushing average is based on a lower standard deviation would have better records as it would demonstrate that they are running the ball more consistently. Now that I think about it more, skewness of yards per rush is probably a better statistic than standard deviation. Or perhaps the coefficient of variation which is average divided by standard deviation.

I am assuming you do these calculations in Excel, so I'm sure it comes with a skewness function. Anyway, what I am trying to suggest is a means of discounting the impact of the handful of very large rushing gains.

Curious to get your thoughts...

Edit - just noticed that Egnew The Goat echoed the same sentiment.

17. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

That's exactly right. I know Sherman is trying to limit the 3 and outs. He doesn't want to kill drives. But the thing is this, you HAVE NO CHOICE. John Madden even used to say that when we had Marino and Shula, Shula went against his better judgement and when we struggled, allowed Marino to just air it out all the time. Madden said, you have to run it, period.

It's the coaches job to make it work. It doesn't matter what the yards per carry is. You still need to run the ball. And if you think it's tough NOW, wait until the snow comes, and wait until postseason, because great teams will eat you alive if you can't run the ball.

18. Shouright

You're talking about run "success rate" here, which is found on this page (look for the column entitled "Run SR(%)"):

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/teampage.php

The Dolphins' percentage of successful runs (41.1%) places it 12th in the league right now.

19. nyashfan

nyashfan For Earth Below

Wow! Hard to believe the Dolphins rank 12th! I looked at the glossary but don't have a feel as to what defines a successful run. Suppose it's 3rd and 18 and the Dolphins play it safe and run, gaining 7 yards. The defense would be conceding the run to protect against a big passing play. Would that be categorized as a successful run? I think it is very ambitious to define these advanced statistics with proper context.

20. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan E tū iho nei, tū iho nei, hī!

I think the problem again lies with our line. We did some of our best running..when we used essentially an extra o lineman. It seems like...our line can run block ..but only when we pack the extra beef. Which then takes away from our passing attack. We can't run and pass out of the same formations.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

21. hoops

hoops exited stage left

does anyone really believe that miami can line up and run the ball and consistently be in 2nd and 6??? i mean really...wtf

teams laugh at our run game...

22. Shouright

The only objective data we have with regard to the run blocking of the offensive line tell us the line isn't any worse in that regard than the average team.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Well then they should also laugh at half of the run games in the league, since the Dolphins perform better in terms of yards per carry than about that many teams.

Although yet again, rushing attempts predict wins, not rushing success.

23. Shouright

A run is considered "successful" if it results in positive expected points added, which refers to the following:

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/08/glossary.html

24. NBP81

No, but at the same time, do you really believe Tannehill is at a point in his career where he can win games by himself against opposing Ds that don't have to respect the run at all?

25. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

Stats are just stats sometimes. If you just watch the games it is pretty evident that these guys are bad at running the ball, especially now with the 3rd string OL.

26. Shouright

Or perhaps you're simply falling prey to confirmation bias.

27. NBP81

Then just run Clay up the middle 25 times a game for all I care, you`ll get 2-4 yards every time, never lose ten yards. At least then, the D wont have a choice but to respect the fact that we might run it...

28. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

Could be. Just watching and using common sense, I'm not sure how getting stuffed for negative yards consistently helps THIS team win.

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

no...most these other young qbs in the same type scenario ie you stop the run though warts wise are showing much more than ryan tannehills i can tell ya that...so many crutch qbs in this league...can't play from the pocket can't read the field and coverage

but you also aren't gonna win getting yourself in 3rd and 8 over and over cause you know rushing attempts lead to wins either jamming the ball into 8 man fronts when you can't get any push...this stuff is so football dumb it floors me...all more 3rd and long means is more pressure on your suspect pass pro....

i don't care what that stat of 4.1 ypc says you watch the damn games this team cannot run the ball with any consistency against anyone pretty much...god dang tell that dude to shove that stupid stat up his ***

placing numbers in a vacuum is flat out ignorant when it comes to football...they dont account for what kind of defenses the opposition shows you or how you have to allocate personnel to get the results you do etc...just flat vacuum no common sense or situational awareness accounted for at all...but hey that's what he drops all day long

30. Shouright

Are you aware of any data that support the belief that the Dolphins get stuffed for negative yards any more often than the average team in the league?

The data I'm aware of actually points out that they're 12th in the league in terms of their percentage of successful runs.

That said, however, once again, rushing attempts predict wins, not rushing success.

31. hoops

hoops exited stage left

what the hell makes you think you will get two to four yards every time when the defense starts watching your tape and sees how heavy your tendencies are just jamming the fb up the middle???

this league is about adjustments and exposing weaknesses...you may get two to four yards for a quarter or a half but if you keep showing it they will adjust and shut it down...and the only thing you will get is a bunch of 3rd and very longs where this teams 5 man protects can be exposed...

and pile up losses among other things...

do people know what film study preparation is here??? i wonder some times

32. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Pretty much. If it were that simple, you'd see teams that struggle run the ball doing exactly that.

33. hoops

hoops exited stage left

what you'd see is a lot of defenses with the backers in the a gap presnap...and the safeties like 5 yards off the ball...

34. NBP81

And that's where you can at least sell a PA. I wasn't being totally serious with the Clay up the middle thing. I was being serious with running inside more than 20 times a game, not because I think we`ll that much successful with it but it will open up the playbook on 2nd and 3rd down...

35. Shouright

And guess what Ryan Tannehill's QB rating is off of play-action?

His QB rating is the rest of the time?

36. hoops

hoops exited stage left

most qbs work higher off pa cause it gives em better singled up looks etc and makes the pass rushers maintain run responsibility but sherman knows how much higher his rating is off pa and would use it more IF he felt like the run game would show some consistency...and it just doesn't very often

at least that's my read on it...the oc would love to run the ball more but he doesn't feel like he can move it that way...and i don't either from what i see in most games...also working pa on first down is something he should be using more...that's on the oc to give the qb the freedom to check into more downfield pa calls and til this last game at least we didn't see it much but we also didn't see many teams commiting an 8th man to the box cause they were snuffing out our run with 7 man fronts

and this is all i'm gonna say about the subject...i'm done beating a dead horse...we don't have the personnel to run the scheme the way we want to on the oline run game especially...

37. Shouright

While it's true that most QBs have better QB ratings off of play-action than they do the rest of the time, Ryan Tannehill's difference of 42 QB rating points in this regard is in the 93rd percentile in the league, nearly 1.5 standard deviations above the league average of 15.6.

Well I don't know how much more "consistency" Sherman needs than a 41.1% success rate, which is currently 12th in the league.

I think you probably ought to consider that Sherman just isn't doing a very good job right now.

38. hoops

hoops exited stage left

absolutely...no argument from me...but i think its more than not running the ball...and he does have personnel limitations up front especially that he must work with and it applies in the run and passing game...and that are really hard to hide

39. Shouright

I would think step one in working with that would be to be as unpredictable as possible. And I would think that would help as well with the presence of a developmental quarterback.

When the team can establish no identity either on the ground or through the air, and is relegated to only average levels of performance in both areas, I would think that keeping defenses off-balance would be the first order of business. Instead, Sherman is abandoning the run and putting the offense on his developmental QB, and becoming all too predictable in the process.

40. dnespins

dnespins Smokin' n Jokin' Finheaven VIP

these stats remind me of the the RB carries stat people love to throw out there. you know, when running back X carries 20+ times this team is 12-1 over the last 2 seasons etc.....no ****. they were up the in 4th quarter and running the ball to melt the clock. same as with all these team rushing attempts for playoff teams. they have more rushing attempts because they ahead in games and scoring more than 17 pts/gm. if RT could hit a 9 sunday we would have been up big on the panthers and had a lot more 2nd half rushing attempts.