Is connecting on deep passes important to our offense? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is connecting on deep passes important to our offense?

SWS84

Practice Squad
Reaction score
There has been some debate on the importance of connecting on our deep passes. Some feel, like I do, that connecting on our deep passes will help loosen up the defense and provide a little more room for Ricky to run around in and through. Others feel, that the deep pass is over-rated and not necessary for our offense to be successful.

Are we gonna be ham-strung this year again because Jay can't hit on his deep thows or will we be okay, inspite of this?

Thoughts?

Steve

IMO, there are two answers to your question.

1) It is important to the success of the offense.
2) Its not going to matter to us much this year, because we have a horrible coach and the players won't lay it on the line for him.

So the short answer is, no specific shortcoming (Oline, QB, WR) is going to hurt us as much as having a coach that the players don't respect. Parcells, Belichick, Dungy.....all have the respect of their players, and they can muster them to play better when their backs are against the wall.

When our backs are against the wall, we lay down and play possum. Its the Wannstedt way...its the Fin Culture. And they do it because its tolerable.

If what happened to us two years ago in Minn and NE would have happened to a Parcells team, someone would have lost a job (key starter, D-coor, somebody). He would have struck fear in the losers hearts.

Dave celebrates with the losers, keeps them around...promotes them. :shakeno: Sad but true, boys...sad but true.

I advantage of the deep pass is having the defense on the run. Deep passing shows the teams aggression towards scoring and in the long run it can either help you or hurt you. When the passing game is in eefect the running game with be extremly effective because the D is expecting pass, because of the deep balls to the ends zones aqnd with chambers and an unsure Boston we can effectivley use tht to our advantage. If Feeley comes out of his shell.

the deep passes are most definately an important part of this offense, this is why i think feeley will work out. what our offense does is run ricky, and let him run somemore and if we do that our playaction pass ability will be phenomenal. It just killed me last year to see defenders stacking the box just to have ricky run like 2 yards a play. I was almost yelling at the tv screen to throw playaction, but then i remembered Jay cant really throw worth squat. It doesn't have to be long though it could be a rollout and pass to mcmicheal which he excels in. i hope foerster realizes this and uses plenty of playactions.
(ps its the last weekend of the school year, im gonna be ready to get back to the football camps soon!)

They are critical to our offense. We need to get easy TDs often enough to take the pressure off our OL and QB as well as Ricky. And we need to get the Ss off the LOS to help get RWs YPA up to 4+ where they belong. I do believe that Boston will greatly help that effort - even if it our 3rd WR or Randy are the guys that see the benefit of the S worrying about CC and Boston

we need to go over the middle with authority unlike what norv was willing to do. the answere is to hit deep at least once per game preferably early (like the eagles did to us on MNF) but the real deal to me is hitting mcmicheal and Boston and chambers over the middle instead of this constant side pattern abuse we always get. that to me is the biggest thing that was missing last year until fiedler came back against the skins and tore up the cowboys. the other games were not good blocking which is what killed us more than anything.
If the Oline keeps blitzers and great passrushers off our QB's then we can do anything. we have the talent. the tallest order is to get this young Oline ready for the big boys. Smith bulking up is a start. Getting rid of the ball early is another thing. We have to expect that teams will come after us still up front. this is where david boston and mcmicheal getting the ball more comes in.

Well its an interesting thread...

Our offensive scheme is not one that is set as relying on the QB to pass deep. Not when you have a RB that that is center of your offense...

What I do see as fair to say is that we should pass more. We were # 30 in Passes Attempted (450) last year, only 35 more attempts than the last placed team. What I believe we need is to pass more, like 4 more attempts per game. If you balance out the stats, these 64 attempts in the year, would have earned us an extra 2 TDs. We all know where these 2 TDs would have benefited us.

Bottom line, I think when you look at the teams like the Pats, they benefited mostly, by YAC not necessarily the deep ball (40+ yards), but by the short to mid-range stuff. I just think that we need to have more possesion type passes to have a chance of big plays...

MajorCanz said:
If what happened to us two years ago in Minn and NE would have happened to a Parcells team, someone would have lost a job (key starter, D-coor, somebody). He would have struck fear in the losers hearts.

So who lost their job in Dallas after the loser coach and his team kicked the crap out of the Boys on Thanksgiving? Funny I don't recall the D-coor getting fired after the worst offense in the history of the NFL torched Parcell's defense.

MajorCanz said:
Dave celebrates with the losers, keeps them around...promotes them. :shakeno: Sad but true, boys...sad but true.

Sadly the same can be said of finheaven......

I still laugh when I remember Wanny saying in camp before last season that they were making great improvement on the deep passes, and that Jay and Thompson were really connecting! Yes...

The offense last season was absolutely dreadful.... I mean, it was beyond predictable... I really hope that they use play-action this season; I remember when they really concentrated on play-action in the Dallas game.. good times. But the deep pass is really important, not for the physical gains but because you get in the defender's heads - they can't stack the box... they're forced to respect you, it keeps them at bay. I really hope this Feeley kid comes along, and gives us that. I mean I try to like Jay... but he will NEVER be able to throw a commanding deep ball... :shakeno:

We will not know if the deep ball is important until we see the offense they are trying to run. If we run an offense that is similar to the Dallas offense of the mid-90's, then yes it will be important.

In any offense, the important thing is to create mismatches at the point of attack. Most defenses will stop you if they have sufficient personel at the point of attack.

Some offenses focus on spreading the field horizontally, some vertically. In either case, the idea is to give the defensive players responsibility for an area of the field that is away from where you intend to run the play.

Another tactic is to make the defensive players hesitate and be late getting to the point of attack. This can be done by play action passing, misdirection plays, and counter-type runs.

I think a better OL, better play from the WRs, and a more accurate down field passer will lead to an offense very much like the Dallas offense.

With our active FB and TE, and two WRs that can stretch the field, I think we will be much more successful on offense this year. We probably won't have the OL to match Dallas' production, but we should be effective.

MajorCanz said:
IMO, there are two answers to your question.

1) It is important to the success of the offense.
2) Its not going to matter to us much this year, because we have a horrible coach and the players won't lay it on the line for him.

So the short answer is, no specific shortcoming (Oline, QB, WR) is going to hurt us as much as having a coach that the players don't respect. Parcells, Belichick, Dungy.....all have the respect of their players, and they can muster them to play better when their backs are against the wall.

You're way off basy saying Wanny dosn't have the respect of his players. Wanny is great guy, his players both like and respect him, and he gives better treatment to the vets that have been around his system the longest. What more could you want as a player, missing the tackle isn't the coaches fault, he has drilled it in the players head how to wrap up, if a player dosn't perform when it counts there is only so much a coach can do.

Unless the O-line can give enough Pass-D to give deep plays time to develop it won't matter who is throwing the ball. Once agin, it starts with the O-line. As such, even if Feeley wins the starting job, don't expect any kind of deep game until the 2nd 3rd of the season when the O-line starts to gel. For that very reason, it might be netter if Jay starts the season and then Feeley takes over when he and the O-line are more comfortable.

Regardless of the offense there has to be attempts made downfield to keep the safties honest. I would think about 3-4 attempts per game. Otherwise they will stack the line again and Ricky will have to run another 400 times just to get 1200 yds.

Hopefully out of this 3-4 attempts Fiedler/Feeley can connect on 1-2 and that should open up the running game and also the middle of the field for Randy as I don't think many LB's can cover him alone.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
So who lost their job in Dallas after the loser coach and his team kicked the crap out of the Boys on Thanksgiving? Funny I don't recall the D-coor getting fired after the worst offense in the history of the NFL torched Parcell's defense.

Sadly the same can be said of finheaven......
You are right..you don't remember anyone getting fired. What you remember is Dallas going from 5-11 to 11-5. What you remember is Parcells taking some lonely loser named Quincy Carter and making him a servicable QB. What you remember is a 6 game turnaround....IN ONE SEASON. When is the last times the Fins made the playoffs? Do you remember? When is the last time they won a playoff game? Do you remember that?

Back
Top Bottom