Is connecting on deep passes important to our offense? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is connecting on deep passes important to our offense?

saves said:
You're way off basy saying Wanny dosn't have the respect of his players. Wanny is great guy, his players both like and respect him, and he gives better treatment to the vets that have been around his system the longest. What more could you want as a player, missing the tackle isn't the coaches fault, he has drilled it in the players head how to wrap up, if a player dosn't perform when it counts there is only so much a coach can do.
Saves....I love you man..but this is just nonsense.

But some things you said here are correct.
1) Wanny is a great guy.
2)The players like him.
3)He treats his players well.
4)Missing tackles isnt the coaches fault.

All four of these statements are true....albiet irrelevant.

1) I don't care what kind of guy he is, I care what kind of coach he is. As a guy, hes great. As a coach, he sucks. He gets paid to coach...and he really shouldn't.

2) I don't want the players to "like" him. Many of the NE players don't like Belichick. Who cares? The respect him. They win SBs. Same with Parcells, same with Walsh, etc, etc. Winning is all that matters.

3) He not only treats his players well, he spoils them. And they reward him by playing like babies in the big games. Two years ago, we beat NE and we win our division. Did we? No, we allowed them to score 11 points in 4.5 minutes to tie the game, and then we allowed them to kick a FG in OT to win it. And Zach, JT, Sammy...all still treated great by Dw. Not a winnng formula.

4) I don't care whose fault it is. I care about who takes responsibility for it. He is supposed to be responsible. But because WH is in a comatose state, DW not only gets retained, but gets an extension. Geez. I wish he were my boss. I could totally suck, and get to stay around another two years.

Your statements are all good,,,,but they don't matter. Winning is ALL that matters.

MajorCanz said:
You are right..you don't remember anyone getting fired. What you remember is Dallas going from 5-11 to 11-5. What you remember is Parcells taking some lonely loser named Quincy Carter and making him a servicable QB. What you remember is a 6 game turnaround....IN ONE SEASON. When is the last times the Fins made the playoffs? Do you remember? When is the last time they won a playoff game? Do you remember that?

You should just give up. You just shifted from incorrect statement to another. The Boys went 10-6 last year, not 11-5. They made the playoffs only because they are in the weaker conference. You should only make statements that you can back up.

As to your other two questions, you can't be serious.....

They went to the playoffs in 2001 and they won a playoff game in 2000. They missed the playoffs by a tie breaker in 2002 after suffering a ton of injuries and they missed the playoffs in 2003 with a 10-6 record, the first time in almost 20 years that has happened to a team.

MajorCanz said:
Winning is ALL that matters.

You are correct and the Fins are 41-23, and 2-2 for playoff appearances during Wanny's tenure. That should count for something. By your standards there should be 31 HC's fired every year and Parcells should have been one of them.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
You should just give up. You just shifted from incorrect statement to another. The Boys went 10-6 last year, not 11-5. They made the playoffs only because they are in the weaker conference. You should only make statements that you can back up.

As to your other two questions, you can't be serious.....

They went to the playoffs in 2001 and they won a playoff game in 2000. They missed the playoffs by a tie breaker in 2002 after suffering a ton of injuries and they missed the playoffs in 2003 with a 10-6 record, the first time in almost 20 years that has happened to a team.
Bottom line is this, Buffalo...

Conference, division, schedule....the Cowboys overachieved to make the playoffs. No one was picking them to even break even, and they made the playoffs. The standard set for the Fins was to make the playoffs..and we couldnt EVEN do that. Enough back up for ya?

As for the weaker conference, I think I remember the Eagles smacking us last year on national tv. Not that weak, huh?

FinfanInBuffalo said:
You are correct and the Fins are 41-23, and 2-2 for playoff appearances during Wanny's tenure. That should count for something. By your standards there should be 31 HC's fired every year and Parcells should have been one of them.
The NFL is about playoff football...and each teams expectations to get there.

As for the other teams and their coaches, thats for them to decide. I only know what history shows. Find me a coach that took more than 5 years to take his team to the SB.

Of the coaches in the NFL, most that have made the playoffs before and haven't for two straight seasons are fired. And if not, its because Pittsburgh has never fired a coach or some other strange scenario. But its not common. DW is the exception here...as you people are that defend him.

While the deep ball isnt necessary to win in our system, it will take alot of pressure off of all involved. Having a deep threat really opens up the field for everything else that we want to do. Deep balls will force the safety's to stay back which opens up RW and the running game. Also with the safties back it will open up the middle for McMichael and the WR's. So IMO while the deep pass isnt necessary it is important.

I feel we must have a good deep threat ability just to take the pressure off ricky

MajorCanz said:

I thought you said it was about winning.....

Here's a name for you .... Mike Shanahan...made playoffs in 2000, missed in 2001 and 2002....what a surprise, he wasn't fired...

MajorCanz said:
Bottom line is this, Buffalo...

Conference, division, schedule....the Cowboys overachieved to make the playoffs. No one was picking them to even break even, and they made the playoffs. The standard set for the Fins was to make the playoffs..and we couldnt EVEN do that. Enough back up for ya?

As for the weaker conference, I think I remember the Eagles smacking us last year on national tv. Not that weak, huh?

Bottom line is that you have a "thing" for Wanny, and the reality of the situation doesn't matter to you....

Deep passes are very important to opening up the running game. The threat alone helps Ricky find the holes he needs to break some serious runs.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
So who lost their job in Dallas after the loser coach and his team kicked the crap out of the Boys on Thanksgiving?

His name is actually Mario Edwards.

I was there. You didn't see my pictures?

You and I could have completed those passes.

MajorCanz said:

As for the other teams and their coaches, thats for them to decide. I only know what history shows. Find me a coach that took more than 5 years to take his team to the SB.

Of the coaches in the NFL, most that have made the playoffs before and haven't for two straight seasons are fired. And if not, its because Pittsburgh has never fired a coach or some other strange scenario. But its not common. DW is the exception here...as you people are that defend him.

You got another thread going with this discussion, please stick to that one....

Coaches that have NOT taken their team to an SB within 5 years...Let me see, Ted Marchibroda (Colts 75-79), Chuck Knox (Buffalo 78-82), Paul Brown (Cleveland 68-75), Sam Rutigliano (Cleveland 78-84), Bill Belichik (Cleveland 91-95), also Don Shula from 74-83. I could go on but I think I made my point...

Last edited by a moderator:
At some point, the blame goes to the players rather than the coach. Miami's offensive line was absolutely horrible last year. Wannstedt and Norv were very limited in their play calls whether it was because of Fiedler inconsistent play, his weak arm, the o-lines lack of a back bone or a WR unwilling to step up in games to take pressure off of Chambers and McMichael.

At some point, the blame turns from Wannstedt to the players.

This Miami team won 10 games last year with a horrible offense. That in itself is pretty incredible. Miami brings in Marc Trestman and Jerry Sullivan to improve the coaching staff.

Whether or not Miami has the QB or o-line strength to make it deep this year is questionable.

Back
Top Bottom