Is connecting on deep passes important to our offense? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is connecting on deep passes important to our offense?

MajorCanz said:
Saves....I love you man..but this is just nonsense.
Your statements are all good,,,,but they don't matter. Winning is ALL that matters.
I love you too man.... :friday:

I see what your saying and I agree for the most part, I think what we have on the team right now is a winning combination and its clouding my reasoning.

But I'm gonna still be preaching that were a SB contender with or without Wanny

FinfanInBuffalo said:
We will not know if the deep ball is important until we see the offense they are trying to run. If we run an offense that is similar to the Dallas offense of the mid-90's, then yes it will be important.

In any offense, the important thing is to create mismatches at the point of attack. Most defenses will stop you if they have sufficient personel at the point of attack.

Some offenses focus on spreading the field horizontally, some vertically. In either case, the idea is to give the defensive players responsibility for an area of the field that is away from where you intend to run the play.

Another tactic is to make the defensive players hesitate and be late getting to the point of attack. This can be done by play action passing, misdirection plays, and counter-type runs.

I think a better OL, better play from the WRs, and a more accurate down field passer will lead to an offense very much like the Dallas offense.

With our active FB and TE, and two WRs that can stretch the field, I think we will be much more successful on offense this year. We probably won't have the OL to match Dallas' production, but we should be effective.

Without some kind of deep ball threat, all the tricks, etc. you throw at them are not as effective since everyone will be closer to the LOS anyway. Just like a 4 receiver set won't "spread" out the D unless you are effective running it. just like our long ball threat, or lack of rather, the safeties are up with single coverage on the WRs alot, thus thwarting any gizmo plays we have aimed at them mostly. now if we could just hit a couple of those "long" 30 ydrs instride with some yac then these other plays will work much better. But it's not whether or not we really run those but rather as long as the D knows we can and can execute to a high degree, is what makes the difference.

Of course they are important, they were last year... we couldnt do this consistantly last year and when we got one deep ball thrown it helped alot on our running game... the dallas game was the ****, now if we can do that consistantly i will be So muthafin happy!

Excellent answer already posted in this thread...

I don't think there's much else to say about this "Topic question".

I have nothing to add.

Back
Top Bottom