Is Tom Brady overhyped? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Tom Brady overhyped?

Is tom brady overhyped?

• Total voters
Brady is THE marquee player in the sport, just like Marino used to get a ton of coverage when he was a marquee player.

Were you upset Chrebet didn't get alot of attention in 1995? he had better rookie #s than Bess and he was also undrafted.

Talk about a guy that was always open or seemed to make 50 clutch catches against New England.

I must start by saying I think Tom Brady is a bit overrated.
He has only an average of 3,778 yards passing a year and 28 td's per year over his 7 years of starting.
Sure he has been to 10,000 super bowls but thats more because his team carried him not him being spectacular.
His one spectacular season came in 07 because his team asked him to throw the deep ball 10 times a game, most ended in completions because he had a top 5 receiver on the other side of the ball.
Another great guy, peyton manning over 11 years has an average of 4,148 yards passing and 30 tds.
Yet people are still calling tom brady one of the best to ever play.
U decide!

being a dolphins i can see your perspective. marino had records everywhere but really wasnt a winner when it counted. that being your best example of a qb i can see how your veiw is tilted. to call a guy who holds multiple super bowl wins and records in the regular season overarated is funny to read. no matter your opinion of brady he always puts his team in a position to win when it counts unlike some players who are considered their franchises best payer ever.

What is wrong with you? I showed you earlier that he was 5th in the league in 2008, so how in the world could he have had the 2nd most catches in a season by a rookie in NFL history?

The truth is, and you're gonna hate the truth, but the Dolphins don't have any marquee players. Nobody outside of Miami cares about Ted Ginn, Ronnie Brown and Davone Bess. It's just the way it is. It doesn't mean they suck (well for Ted Ginn maybe). Of course Tom Brady is going to get more media coverage. The guy is coming back from a torn ACL and is one of the best QBS ever, whether you agree or not. The last season Tom Brady played in he threw 50 touchdowns and had a rating of 117 while his team won 18 straight before losing in the Super Bowl. You don't think thats a big story? You think Ted Ginn should get just as much coverage as a guy who's resume reads like Tom Brady's?
First of all, i said 2nd all-time among undrafted rookie free agents.
outside of 2007, show me a great season tom brady had.
Im saying that a person with 1 great season shouldnt get 99.99% of the media coverage, i think peyton manning is better than tom brady, peyton manning gets about a 1/1000 of media coverage tom brady had.

So you think Belichick and Brady are overrated. You fail. You don't accidently win 3 super bowls, win 4 AFC titles and get to 5 title games.

:lol: So if I think just Brady is overrated, that is alright. Or if I think just Belichick is overrated, that is ok too. I just can't think that both are overrated or else I fail. :crazy:

Just because something is overrated does not mean that it can't be good. I have visited places, seen movies, and tasted food that was overrated. That does not mean that they were bad.

Nyjunc thinks Belichick is overrated, and has pointed out some good statistics to debate his side. I think Brady is overrated and have pointed out some statistics that can be debated for my side. Maybe nyjunc is right. Maybe I am right. Maybe we are both right.

There is more involved with great teams other than having a great coach and a great QB. If that is all it took to have a dynasty, the Dolphins would have had one for over a decade with Marino and Shula.

He was the man in charge of NE getting worse every year, they were not going to be close to being a playoff team had Brady not started week 3.

I just don't see it that way. You have not shown me what Brady did in 01 that Bledsoe could not have done. Brady beat a bunch of bad teams in the regular season, and had his defense carry him in the playoffs. Bledsoe could have done the same.

There's just no way they win in '01 w/o Brady so obviously I disagree. heck, if they don't beat us in Dec we win the division and NE isn't going to the SB. From the 2nd meeting of '97 through the first meeting of 2001 we went 6-1 against NE w/ the only loss being a game we had a Punter at QB for the majority of the game. Against the Brady led Pats we have gone 2-11 against NE from '01-'07. He made the difference on those teams.
So, because the Pats have had recent success against the Jets, it is all because of Brady? If the only thing that changed in the NFL from 97 to 01 was Brady starting at QB, I would agree with you. Since many things can change (even in just one season), I don't see your point.

Why start from the second game of 97 anyway? If you look at the last 6 games before the 97 season you guys went 1-5 against the Pats.

There has only been two seasons when Brady swept you guys when you had a winning record. The other sweeps came when you guys stunk. (6-10 in 03), (4-12 in 05) (4-12 in 07)

Since 01, there have only been 2 season that the Patriots have swept us. One of those season was when we stunk (1-15 in 07).

You make a good point when you said that if the Patriots don't beat you guys in Dec, they don't go to the Super Bowl. They beat you guys by 1 point. Do you think Brady was the difference maker in that game? I don't. I think the difference maker was the same as it had been all season. The defense. In the third quarter, the Jets were on the Pats 36, and 1 play later the Pats defense intercepts the ball. The Jets were driving and nearing field goal range to take the lead late in the 4th, but the defense held and intercepted Testaverde again.

Both Belichick and Brady deserve some credit for the Pats Super Bowl run, but I feel that both are overrated.

Have I mentioned the cheating? :chuckle: No one ever wants to give that poor guy any credit. :lol2:

:lol: So if I think just Brady is overrated, that is alright. Or if I think just Belichick is overrated, that is ok too. I just can't think that both are overrated or else I fail. :crazy:

Just because something is overrated does not mean that it can't be good. I have visited places, seen movies, and tasted food that was overrated. That does not mean that they were bad.

Nyjunc thinks Belichick is overrated, and has pointed out some good statistics to debate his side. I think Brady is overrated and have pointed out some statistics that can be debated for my side. Maybe nyjunc is right. Maybe I am right. Maybe we are both right.

There is more involved with great teams other than having a great coach and a great QB. If that is all it took to have a dynasty, the Dolphins would have had one for over a decade with Marino and Shula.

I just don't see it that way. You have not shown me what Brady did in 01 that Bledsoe could not have done. Brady beat a bunch of bad teams in the regular season, and had his defense carry him in the playoffs. Bledsoe could have done the same.

So, because the Pats have had recent success against the Jets, it is all because of Brady? If the only thing that changed in the NFL from 97 to 01 was Brady starting at QB, I would agree with you. Since many things can change (even in just one season), I don't see your point.

Why start from the second game of 97 anyway? If you look at the last 6 games before the 97 season you guys went 1-5 against the Pats.

There has only been two seasons when Brady swept you guys when you had a winning record. The other sweeps came when you guys stunk. (6-10 in 03), (4-12 in 05) (4-12 in 07)

Since 01, there have only been 2 season that the Patriots have swept us. One of those season was when we stunk (1-15 in 07).

You make a good point when you said that if the Patriots don't beat you guys in Dec, they don't go to the Super Bowl. They beat you guys by 1 point. Do you think Brady was the difference maker in that game? I don't. I think the difference maker was the same as it had been all season. The defense. In the third quarter, the Jets were on the Pats 36, and 1 play later the Pats defense intercepts the ball. The Jets were driving and nearing field goal range to take the lead late in the 4th, but the defense held and intercepted Testaverde again.

Both Belichick and Brady deserve some credit for the Pats Super Bowl run, but I feel that both are overrated.

Have I mentioned the cheating? :chuckle: No one ever wants to give that poor guy any credit. :lol2:

you're ridiculous. you think both tom brady and bill belichick are overrated YET both have won tons of **** since they joined together in 2001.

you're ridiculous. you think both tom brady and bill belichick are overrated YET both have won tons of **** since they joined together in 2001.

Overrate: to make too much of, rate too highly, assess too highly, overpraise, exaggerate the worth of, think or expect too much of, think too highly of, attach to much importance to.
Brady and Belichick could win 10 Super Bowls and could still be overrated. Overrated does not equal bad. :)

Again, if all it took to have a dynasty was having a great coach and QB, the Dolphins would have had one for over a decade.

Brady and Belichick could win 10 Super Bowls and could still be overrated. Overrated does not equal bad. :)

Again, if all it took to have a dynasty was having a great coach and QB, the Dolphins would have had one for over a decade.

Add a proviso to that. All it takes is a great HC & qb with the same mindset.

At what point was it ever apparent that Shula & Marino had the same relationship & understanding together that BB & Brady do? That seems to be an enormous advantage to me. Both on the same page, not just with 'we're aiming to win the sb' crap all players spout off about, but the work and the attitude that goes with it. the rest of the team see's that and reacts to it.

Back
Top Bottom