Is Tom Brady overhyped? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Tom Brady overhyped?

Is tom brady overhyped?

• Total voters
brady is the modern day montana, overrated and great o line that equals success in the nfl nuff said

While I think the Pats OL is good, Brady makes them look much better than they are.

He senses pressure and sidesteps the rush so well, buying a second or two or three, that it seems like the OL is giving him 10 seconds back there, when in fact most of that is Brady.

No, I think Brady is one of the best pure QBs in NFL history. Whether or not I like him or his team I have to admit his greatness.

Its a pity we face him twice a year, hehe.

I don't think he's going to come back full strength, but I do think he will be good. I don't see him throwing for 50 TD's again either. They should win the division, but they are going to be in a another race. It's not going to be like 2007 where everyone else sucks
(1-15,7-9,4-12).

the thread title asks if he is overhyped. how can all these dolphin fans think he isn't overhyped? i mean - you guys really want to hear more about tom brady? for shame fin fans.

NE '96 was a good, not great, team. They made the SB thanks to Jax upsetting Denver who would have killed NE in the title game. Bill Belichick in Cleveland inherited a team in 1991 1 year removed from going to the AFC Championship so he and Carroll inherited similar teams.

I agree that the 96 PAts were not an elite team, but that team was way better than the 3-13 Browns that Belichick inherited. At least the 97 Pats had consistency at the QB position.

He inherited a QB who reached a SB, he inherited a really good purpose back in Kevin Faulk, he inherited Troy Brown and Terry Glenn at WR, Bruce Armstrong, Joe Andruzzi and Damien Woody on the OL. On D he inherited Willie McGinest, Chad Eaton, Chris Slade, Tedy Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Tebucky Jones and brought over Otis Smith and Bobby Hamilton. On STs he inherited Adam Vinatieri- this is basically the core of the team around Brady and he went 5-11 w/ them in 2000 then started 0-2 in 2001.
Didn't you say:

It's very fair, it just shows the franchise was headed downward for years.
How can you say the team was a sinking ship and give all the credit to Brady in one post, and then say they were a talented team in the next?

Maybe you are starting to see that it is not just Brady. :chuckle: I do agree that NE had some talent, but they were still searching for a back to replace Curtis Martin. Yes, belichick went 5-11 in 2000, but that was his first year, and they were 8-8 in the previous season. Faulk is a good all purpose back, but he is not an every down back. Faulk and J.R. Redmond are not the 2 backs that I want to be carrying the load for my team. Together they combined for 289 carries for 976 yds. They had a much better back in Antowain Smith in 01.

The Jets had been going up and down for years. We were 8-7-1 in '88, 4-12 in '89, 6-10 in '90, 8-8 in '91, 4-12 in '92, 8-8 in '93. yeah we were 6-10 in Carroll's only season but that was what we were back then and the man only had 1 season to prove himself, he did a better job w/ better talent in NE.
Exactly. They were 8-8 in 93 with Esiason at QB and when Carrol took over they lost 2 more games than they did the year before. How can you give Carrol a pass because it was his first season, but not Belichik? Belichick took over an 8-8 team and went 5-11 in his first season. That is only one more loss than Carrol.

The bottom line is w/o Brady Carroll has had more success in the NFL than Belichick has.
I still do not think it is fair to compare Carrol's time with the Pats to Belichick's time with the Browns. Those were completely different situations.

Even so, when Carrol took over the 11-5 Pats, they were progressively getting worse. (10-6), (9-7), (8-8). When Belichick took over the 3-13 Browns, they improved. (6-10), (7-9), (7-9), (11-5). He did that with 3 different starting QBs in the first 3 seasons.

Bill Parcells specialty was taking over awful teams and turning them around. That wasn't a Belichick specialty and that team was an absolute sinking ship, had Brady not come in he would have been fired as there's no way they make the playoffs w/ Brady.

In 1996 the Pats started out 0-2 losing to 2 teams that would win double digit games and they lost close games on the road. In 2001 they lost to the Bengals as part of 0-2.

Where did you show me he faced weak competition? and he was great against Oakland in the snow, he wasn't great in his less than 2 qtrs against Pitt but he left the game w/ a 1st down at the Pitt 40 so they were moving the ball. NE faced weak competition in 2000- how did that turn out?
What do you base that on? An 0-2 start after a 5-11 season the year before? Parcells had an almost identical 6-10 record and started out 0-2 in 96 and not only made the playoffs, but went to the Super Bowl.

Bledsoe did it before in 96 against tougher competition, and he could have done it again in 01 against easier competition.

When the Pats started 0-2 in 96 they faced 5 teams with a losing record all year. In 2001 they faced 10 teams with a losing record. The Dolphins, Jets and the Rams were the only teams they faced that had a record above .500.

As far as facing weak competition in 2000, I am not sure what you are talking about. They faced 10 teams that were at least 9-7 or better. They also faced the 8-8 Bills twice. The 2000 schedule was tough.

Here is where I pointed out the weak competition Brady faced in 01:

He won his first start against the 6-10 Colts. He lost his next start to the 11-5 Dolphins. His next 2 games were against the 5-11 Chargers, and the 6-10 Colts again. He lost to the 8-8 Broncos before beating the 7-9 Falcons and the 3-13 Bills. You can't tell me that it is not possible that Bledsoe could have had the same success against those weak teams.

I did not add the 7-9 Saints, the 7-9 Browns, the 3-13 Bills again, and the 1-15 Panthers.

The Pats D has failed multiple times in big spots only to be rescued by Brady.
I have shown you multiple times where the defense has either put points on the board, or put the offense in great field position to score points in big games. You can give all the credit to Brady for leading the game winning drives, but without the D, he never has a chance.

You can ask for a team to not blow a 14 point 4th qtr lead in a flash. SL's O was great but they also weren't great in big games. They scored 11 in the '99 NFC title game, 23 in their first SB, 21 against GB in the '01 playoffs and 24 against Philly- good point totals but far from great. They were up 2 TDs and the D choked only to be saved by the O on that incredible drive to win the game. They did alot of good things in that game but they melted in the 4th qtr and almost cost them a SB.
Why don't you blame Brady for not leading his team to more points earlier? The D scored a touchdown in that game and set the offense up on the Rams 40 and 33 yardline. That more than equals out two late touchdowns, especially considering that it was the Rams.

They wouldn't have won in '01 w/o their D and STs but again they wouldn't have even been a playoff team w/o Brady.
At least you agree that they would not have won in the playoffs even with Brady. I am slowly opening your eyes. :chuckle:

So if the D does anything good in the game it absolves them of blowing late leads? B/c James Harrison returned that INT for a TD in the SB last year the Pitt D was great despite blowing a double digit lead in the 4th qtr? That doesn't make sense. I guess b/c Doug Brien kicked a FG early in the '04 div playoffs he goes blamesless for missing 2 kicks late when we only needed one of them to beat Pitt?
If a defense puts points on the board it gives some room for error. Harrison's interception return for a touchdown was a game changer. Not only did it give Pitt 7 points, but it took away at least a field goal from the Cardinals. That is a 10 point swing. Without that play, Pitt losses the game. So, in that game I give more credit for the win to the Pitt defense than I give to the QB for leading the game winning drive. It is the Qb's job to put points on the board. Any points you get from your defense is a huge bonus.

The comparison of a kicker is not the same. You expect a kicker to make close field goals, but you don't expect your defense to score points.

The fact that they were 3 point games makes the decision making of the QB that much bigger. Brady was a young 1st year starter and he got the ball at his 17 w/ just over a minute and no timeouts against the Rams. Against Carolina his D gave up 19 4th qtr points and he needed to score 30 to win that game.
All those games were tied, so there was not as much pressure. If they don't score they go to overtime. How did Brady do when he was playing from behind against the Giants? I know he only had 35 seconds, but they did have all 3 timeouts left. He did not even complete a pass.

The Pats D's have been GOOD, the D and STs have contributed significantly to their dynasty BUT the biggest reason for their dynasty is Tom Brady. He's by far the best QB of his generation and w/o him they have a good team that can't quite break through but w/ him they had a dynasty.
It may be more equal with the 03 and 04 runs, but in my opinion the overall reason for their success is the D and STs. And the cheating. :lol2:

I enjoy th civil debates as well. I hate backing Brady and NE but that's how I feel, it makes feel as dirty as when I defend Marino against other fans. :crazy:
I know what you mean. Every time I take the credit for success away from Brady, I am putting it on Belichick and the Patriots as a team. :crazy:

Lets move on shall we? :D

I agree that the 96 PAts were not an elite team, but that team was way better than the 3-13 Browns that Belichick inherited. At least the 97 Pats had consistency at the QB position.

Didn't you say:

How can you say the team was a sinking ship and give all the credit to Brady in one post, and then say they were a talented team in the next?

Maybe you are starting to see that it is not just Brady. :chuckle: I do agree that NE had some talent, but they were still searching for a back to replace Curtis Martin. Yes, belichick went 5-11 in 2000, but that was his first year, and they were 8-8 in the previous season. Faulk is a good all purpose back, but he is not an every down back. Faulk and J.R. Redmond are not the 2 backs that I want to be carrying the load for my team. Together they combined for 289 carries for 976 yds. They had a much better back in Antowain Smith in 01.

Exactly. They were 8-8 in 93 with Esiason at QB and when Carrol took over they lost 2 more games than they did the year before. How can you give Carrol a pass because it was his first season, but not Belichik? Belichick took over an 8-8 team and went 5-11 in his first season. That is only one more loss than Carrol.

I still do not think it is fair to compare Carrol's time with the Pats to Belichick's time with the Browns. Those were completely different situations.

Even so, when Carrol took over the 11-5 Pats, they were progressively getting worse. (10-6), (9-7), (8-8). When Belichick took over the 3-13 Browns, they improved. (6-10), (7-9), (7-9), (11-5). He did that with 3 different starting QBs in the first 3 seasons.

What do you base that on? An 0-2 start after a 5-11 season the year before? Parcells had an almost identical 6-10 record and started out 0-2 in 96 and not only made the playoffs, but went to the Super Bowl.

Bledsoe did it before in 96 against tougher competition, and he could have done it again in 01 against easier competition.

When the Pats started 0-2 in 96 they faced 5 teams with a losing record all year. In 2001 they faced 10 teams with a losing record. The Dolphins, Jets and the Rams were the only teams they faced that had a record above .500.

As far as facing weak competition in 2000, I am not sure what you are talking about. They faced 10 teams that were at least 9-7 or better. They also faced the 8-8 Bills twice. The 2000 schedule was tough.

Here is where I pointed out the weak competition Brady faced in 01:

I did not add the 7-9 Saints, the 7-9 Browns, the 3-13 Bills again, and the 1-15 Panthers.

I have shown you multiple times where the defense has either put points on the board, or put the offense in great field position to score points in big games. You can give all the credit to Brady for leading the game winning drives, but without the D, he never has a chance.

Why don't you blame Brady for not leading his team to more points earlier? The D scored a touchdown in that game and set the offense up on the Rams 40 and 33 yardline. That more than equals out two late touchdowns, especially considering that it was the Rams.

At least you agree that they would not have won in the playoffs even with Brady. I am slowly opening your eyes. :chuckle:

If a defense puts points on the board it gives some room for error. Harrison's interception return for a touchdown was a game changer. Not only did it give Pitt 7 points, but it took away at least a field goal from the Cardinals. That is a 10 point swing. Without that play, Pitt losses the game. So, in that game I give more credit for the win to the Pitt defense than I give to the QB for leading the game winning drive. It is the Qb's job to put points on the board. Any points you get from your defense is a huge bonus.

The comparison of a kicker is not the same. You expect a kicker to make close field goals, but you don't expect your defense to score points.

All those games were tied, so there was not as much pressure. If they don't score they go to overtime. How did Brady do when he was playing from behind against the Giants? I know he only had 35 seconds, but they did have all 3 timeouts left. He did not even complete a pass.

It may be more equal with the 03 and 04 runs, but in my opinion the overall reason for their success is the D and STs. And the cheating. :lol2:

I know what you mean. Every time I take the credit for success away from Brady, I am putting it on Belichick and the Patriots as a team. :crazy:

Lets move on shall we? :D

The Browns were a year removed from an AFC Title Game appearance. The '97 pats had Drew Bledsoe who was medicore at best then Bledsoe got hurt in '98 and they made the playoffs w/ Scott Zolak. BB inherited Kosar and threw him away then had Vinny for a few years so he had stability at QB.

I don't give all the credit to Brady. He is the biggest reason NE became a dynasty but they had talent around him. not as much on O but talent you could at least be a playoff contender w/.

Brady won 2 SBs w/ Antowain Smith as his starting RB so obviously even during his first few years they were still trying to replace Curtis but still managed to win thanks to #12.

2000 was Belichicks first season w/ NE but it wasn't his first season as a HC, 1994 was Carroll's first chance to be a HC and he at least had us in contention until early December.

Belichick's 1st year in Cle they were 6-10, his last year in Cle they were 5-11. he had ONE winning season in 5 years. Carroll has ONE losing season in 4 years.

Tougher competition in 1996? The AFC was better in 2001 and the AFC East was comparable in '96 to 2001 and actually AFC east teams won 41 games in 2001 compared to 39 in 1996. Bledsoe also didn't have Curtis to carry him to a SB like he did in 1996.

The 6-10 Cols became 6-10 b/c they had alot of injuries. early in the season they were playing like a playoff team. Indy was 2-0 when they faced them the first time, they then lost to the Raiders before facing the Pats again. So they started 2-3 but in non-Pats games they were 2-1 and they started 4-1 in non Pats games in their first 5 no pats games before things fell apart.

In 2000 Bledsoe couldn't beat 3-13 Cleveland or 5-11 Chicago so why would he have beaten those bad teams they faced in 2001?

Brady was more a game manager in 2001, he didn't make the big mistakes and he led them to points when they really needed when they removed the handcuffs from him.

We have no idea if Pitt lsoes the game w/o the Harrison play. The strategy for the 2nd half is completely different if they are tied 10-10 instead of being up 17-7. What we do know is the D collapsed late and the O resuced them.

Playing from behind against the Giants he only led them on an 80 yd TD drive to put his team up 4 w/ 2 1/2 to play.

Good debate, I like nice, civil discussions.:up:

Tom Brady is defiantly not over-hyped guys.

Tom Brady is defiantly not over-hyped guys.

defiantly or definitely? you mean you want to hear sports networks cover more tom brady crap? the only thing you should want to see about him - as a dolphins fan - is that hit that put him out for the season.

Practically everyone on the dolphins is underrated.
You hear about it when tom brady has a baby, but not when an undrafted rookie FA aka Davone Bess has the 3rd most catches in the league among rookies despite starting 6 games.

Because nobody cares about that. I mean really, who cares if some dude has the 3rd most catches among rookies. Does anyone even care who had the most catches among rookies?

defiantly or definitely? you mean you want to hear sports networks cover more tom brady crap? the only thing you should want to see about him - as a dolphins fan - is that hit that put him out for the season.

Because that is the ONLY reason Miami had the opportunity to get slaughtered in the playoffs by Baltimore at home.

I do.
And btw who cares if a football player has a baby?

That'd be pretty big news.

And BTW Bess wasn't third in catches by rookies, he was 5th. WE NEED MORE MEDIA COVERAGE OF THE GUY THAT WAS 5TH AMONGST ROOKIES IN CATCHES AND HAD ONE TOUCHDOWN! :dmonster:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom