Is Tom Brady overhyped? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Tom Brady overhyped?

Is tom brady overhyped?

• Total voters
...the real question is here is if Bill Belichick is over rated and the answer is YES. And nyjunc answered that question with his statics.

I wouldn't go that far. BB built the Pats organization from the ground up. Brady certainly expedited that success.

BB took a historically inept franchise from the bottom to the top of the NFL, all while handling the HC, sometimes the OC, sometimes the DC functions, often even acting as a position coach during practice and games. on top of all that, being the GM, President, etc, the man with the final decision in everything to do with the Patriots organization.

If Kraft had owned the browns, it might have happened earlier in his career.

The Pats were a sinking ship when Brady rescued them back in 2001.

1996: 11-5
1997: 10-6
1998: 9-7
1999: 8-8
2000: 5-11
2001: began 0-2 w/o Brady

Noticing a trend here?

It is not fair to compare the 1996 through 1999 Patriot teams to the 2000 and beyond Patriot teams. Through 1996 - 1999 the Patriots went from having Bill Parcells coach the team to Pete Carroll. You can compare the 2000 team without Brady that went 5-11, but that was Belichick's 1st year.

Defense played just as much a part of the Pats run as Brady becoming the starter.

Let's take a look at where the Pats defense ranked through 2000 - 2008.

2000: 5-11 (17th)

2001: 11-5 (6th) *Super Bowl Champs*

2002 9-7 (17th) Did not qualify for the playoffs.

2003 14-2 (1st) *Super Bowl Champs*

2004 14-2 (2nd) *Super Bowl Champs*

2005 10-6 (17th) Lost to Denver 27-13 in divisional playoffs.

2006 12-4 (2nd) Lost to Colts 38-34 in ConfChamp game.

2007 16-0 (4th) Lost to Giants 17-14 in Super Bowl.

Noticing a trend here? :chuckle:

Tom Brady is the biggest reason for the Pats dynasty, Put him on Indy and they have 2-3 more SB apps. Tom Brady is BY FAR the best QB of his generation and it boggles my mind how people cannot see this as it couldn't be any more clear.

I know many will disagree with me on this, but I don't believe that to be true. I believe defense, lucky breaks, and home field advantage are the biggest reasons for the Pats Dynasty. I have never seen a team that has had more things go their way than the Pats.

The one that sticks out most in my mind is the 2001 playoff game against Oakland: The famous tuck rule.

When you add in the controversy of them filming the other teams during those runs; it makes you wonder. They won all 3 Super Bowls by 3 points. You can call that a Champion closing out games, but you can not deny that things could have easily gone differently. What if Vinatieri had missed those game winning kicks in the Super Bowl? Would you think any less of Brady?

Put Peyton Manning with the defenses and lucky breaks Brady has had, and you would have better results. Put Brady with Indy, and I think you have similar results.

It is not fair to compare the 1996 through 1999 Patriot teams to the 2000 and beyond Patriot teams. Through 1996 - 1999 the Patriots went from having Bill Parcells coach the team to Pete Carroll. You can compare the 2000 team without Brady that went 5-11, but that was Belichick's 1st year.

Defense played just as much a part of the Pats run as Brady becoming the starter.

Let's take a look at where the Pats defense ranked through 2000 - 2008.

2000: 5-11 (17th)

2001: 11-5 (6th) *Super Bowl Champs*

2002 9-7 (17th) Did not qualify for the playoffs.

2003 14-2 (1st) *Super Bowl Champs*

2004 14-2 (2nd) *Super Bowl Champs*

2005 10-6 (17th) Lost to Denver 27-13 in divisional playoffs.

2006 12-4 (2nd) Lost to Colts 38-34 in ConfChamp game.

2007 16-0 (4th) Lost to Giants 17-14 in Super Bowl.

Noticing a trend here? :chuckle:

I know many will disagree with me on this, but I don't believe that to be true. I believe defense, lucky breaks, and home field advantage are the biggest reasons for the Pats Dynasty. I have never seen a team that has had more things go their way than the Pats.

The one that sticks out most in my mind is the 2001 playoff game against Oakland: The famous tuck rule.

When you add in the controversy of them filming the other teams during those runs; it makes you wonder. They won all 3 Super Bowls by 3 points. You can call that a Champion closing out games, but you can not deny that things could have easily gone differently. What if Vinatieri had missed those game winning kicks in the Super Bowl? Would you think any less of Brady?

Put Peyton Manning with the defenses and lucky breaks Brady has had, and you would have better results. Put Brady with Indy, and I think you have similar results.

It is fair to compare b/c NE was a sinking ship, they were getting worse every year and they had a 1 time failure as a HC who went 5-11 in his first year then began 0-2 in 2001 and the rumblings were growing louder he was going to be fored. he resuced Belichicks HC career and the Pats franchise.

You can post defensive rankings all you want but the Pats Ds haven't been great too many times in postseason and he has rescued them many times. Plus the difference btw the Colts Ds and Pats Ds in PPG allowed is about 2 points- that's not a huge difference but Brady has 4 SB apps and Manning 1.

defense, lucky breaks, and home field advantage

click the link on the Pats D:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/07/25/chff.belichick/1.html

good teams get breaks, it happens and they play at home so much in postseason b/c they have great reg season records. He's never lost at home in postseason but Peyton manning is just 4-3 at home in postseason.

They got a huge break w/ the tuck rule but let's not forget they still had to tie the game and win in OT. That play wasn't the last play of the game. Great teams take advantage of breaks.

The first SB they were huge underdogs in, their D b;ew a late late and he led one of the best drives in SB history.

Their 2nd SB their D was shredded by Carolina and Brady led another great GW drive.

The Eagle SB it was a 3pt win but the Eagles scored a garbage time TD and you don't get bonus points for winning SBs by 30 points. Back before FA when the great teams were so much better than the rest we saw huge margins of victory in SBs but we havn't seen many blowouts this decade.

He set up his great K to kick makeable FGs and he did it. Had he missed against SL and Car they go to OT so who knows what happens?

Manning has had alot of lucky breaks. just in that Pitt '05 div rd game alone he had a clear INT overturned then saw bettis fumble while putting the game away and the Colts DB return near midfield for him and he STILL couldn't get that game to OT.

The Colts have had much better weapons on O around manning and their Ds have been good enough in most years to make a SB run. Peyton's choking has kept them back.

Peyton has led his O's to 13.6 PPG in playoff losses, you aren't winning many games scoring under 14 points.

Brady only has 3 losses but in those 3 losses he has led his O to an average of 18 PPG and in a game he led his O to just 14 points he at least led his O on a long TD drive to take the lead in the SB in the final minutes. Has peyton ever done that and watched his D give it right back? NO.

I believe if you switched the QBs Indy would have 2-3 SB titles right now and NE would be lucky to have one.

He's become a whiney, vag the past few years, but he is one of the best QBs ever. Using stats are silly. He played with scrubs (David Givens, Patten, Branch- what has he done since leaving?) and the one year he gets weapons similar to Manning, he sets records. Also, look at Belichick's record pre-Brady and then after it. Brady made Belichick.

That said, he is the white Travis Henry and I hopes he falls on his face this season. :hi5:

It is fair to compare b/c NE was a sinking ship, they were getting worse every year and they had a 1 time failure as a HC who went 5-11 in his first year then began 0-2 in 2001 and the rumblings were growing louder he was going to be fored. he resuced Belichicks HC career and the Pats franchise.

How is it fair to compare 3 seasons with Pete Caroll to one of Bilichicks and give all the credit to Brady? Pete Carolls previous head coaching experience was 1 year with the Jets in which he went 6-10. The Pats were a sinking ship becasue Parcells resigned. They were in the Super Bowl the year before. It is very common for teams teams that just went to the Super Bowl to have worse records the following years. You can take just about every Super bowl team in the last 10 years and look at the records the next few years. You will find that most are on the decline.

Yes, Belichick went 5-11 in his first year, but that was his first season. Yes, they started 0-2 in 2001, but it is not like Brady came in and was a world beater. He won his first start against the Colts who went 6-10 that year. He lost his next start to the 11-5 Dolphins. His next 2 games were against the 5-11 Chargers, and the 6-10 Colts again. He lost to the 8-8 Broncos before beating the 7-9 Falcons and the 3-13 Bills. You can't tell me that it is not possible that Bledsoe could have had the same success against those weak teams.

You can post defensive rankings all you want but the Pats Ds haven't been great too many times in postseason and he has rescued them many times.
So when Brady wins, all the credit goes to him? But when he loses, all the blame gets put on the defense? The defense and special teams played a bigger role than Tom Brady did in the Patriots 1st Super Bowl run. It held Oakland to just 13 points in the divisional playoff game, yet if it was not for the tuck rule, they would have lost. It was as good as being the last play of the game since the Pats were out of timeouts and there was only 1:43 left in the game.

The next game against the Steelers the defense allowed 17 points. They intercepted 3 passes and held the Steelers running backs to 19 total yards.

Brady got injured late in the first half, but before the injury, he lead the offense to 0 points. Drew Bledsoe came in and lead the team to its only offensive touchdown of the game. In addition to the TD pass, Bledsoe put the Patriots in position for a 4th quarter field goal and allowed his team to hold the ball long enough to avoid constant pressure late in the game. The other scores came from a punt return and a blocked field goal returned for a touchdown.

The very next season the defense ranked 17th, and Tom Brady manages to win 9 games and they miss the playoffs.

In 2003, the defense ranked #1. They held the Titans to 14 points. They held Eddie George and Chris Brown to 84 yards rushing and sacked McNair 3 times.

In the Conference Championship game, The defense only allowed 14 point against the Colts and forced 5 turnovers.

In 2004, they held the Colts to 3 points in the divisional playoff game. They held the Steelers to only a field goal in the first half of the Conference Championchip game. They were so far ahead at that point the defense started playing soft and allowed 24 point in the second half.

Say what you want, but the defense played a huge role in the Patriots Super Bowl runs.

The first SB they were huge underdogs in, their D b;ew a late late and he led one of the best drives in SB history.
The Rams were the #1 ranked offense that year. They scored 45 points against Green Bay and 29 points against Philly. The Pats defense held them to just 17 points.

Their 2nd SB their D was shredded by Carolina and Brady led another great GW drive.
How can you give all the credit to Brady when he leads his team to points, but blame it on the Pats defense when someone scores against them. Why won't you give any credit to the Panthers offense? Why doesn't some of the blame fall on the Panthers defense for allowing Brady to put his team in field goal range?

The Eagle SB it was a 3pt win but the Eagles scored a garbage time TD and you don't get bonus points for winning SBs by 30 points. Back before FA when the great teams were so much better than the rest we saw huge margins of victory in SBs but we havn't seen many blowouts this decade.
If they scored a garbage time TD, then the Pats D held Philly to just 14 points when it mattered right?

He set up his great K to kick makeable FGs and he did it. Had he missed against SL and Car they go to OT so who knows what happens?
Since you say the defense was so bad, I guess it would depend on who won the toss. :chuckle:

Manning has had alot of lucky breaks. just in that Pitt '05 div rd game alone he had a clear INT overturned then saw bettis fumble while putting the game away and the Colts DB return near midfield for him and he STILL couldn't get that game to OT.
That was after the defense allowed 21 points. It was 21-3 in the third, and Manning got them to within 3 points. Yes, they got a lucky break with the overturned interception, and the Bettis fumble, but you know if that had been the Patriots it would have been returned for a TD and they would have won the game.

The Colts have had much better weapons on O around manning and their Ds have been good enough in most years to make a SB run. Peyton's choking has kept them back.
The Colts defense has been ranked in the top 10 only 4 times in past 11 seasons. They have been ranked in the bottom five 4 times in those 11 seasons. The other years, they were never ranked above 17th.

The Patriots defense has been ranked in the top seven 5 out of 7 seasons. The two seasons when the defense ranked 17th, the Pats missed the playoffs and lost to Denver in the playoffs.

I believe if you switched the QBs Indy would have 2-3 SB titles right now and NE would be lucky to have one.
I respect your opinion, but don't see how you can say that when Brady has never played with the terrible defenses the Colts have had, and the 2 times the Patriots defense ranked 17th, they missed the playoffs 1 year and lost to Denver the next.

Brady's 3 Super Bowl wins came when his defense ranked #6, #1 and #2.

Please don't get me wrong. I think Brady is a great QB, but I don't think it is fair to say that he is the only reason for the Patriots Super Bowl runs. We all know it was the cheating. :lol:

:callme:I always laugh at the Colts because the Chargers have their number in the playoffs
:lol2:

I agree with Junc, if Brady wasn't on the team, the Pats will not have SB titles. He has bailed them out on a lot of occasions.

Cassel proved that anybody can win playing QB for that team. Brady is overrated. He's not a bad QB, but he is no where near great.

How is it fair to compare 3 seasons with Pete Caroll to one of Bilichicks and give all the credit to Brady? Pete Carolls previous head coaching experience was 1 year with the Jets in which he went 6-10. The Pats were a sinking ship becasue Parcells resigned. They were in the Super Bowl the year before. It is very common for teams teams that just went to the Super Bowl to have worse records the following years. You can take just about every Super bowl team in the last 10 years and look at the records the next few years. You will find that most are on the decline.

Yes, Belichick went 5-11 in his first year, but that was his first season. Yes, they started 0-2 in 2001, but it is not like Brady came in and was a world beater. He won his first start against the Colts who went 6-10 that year. He lost his next start to the 11-5 Dolphins. His next 2 games were against the 5-11 Chargers, and the 6-10 Colts again. He lost to the 8-8 Broncos before beating the 7-9 Falcons and the 3-13 Bills. You can't tell me that it is not possible that Bledsoe could have had the same success against those weak teams.

So when Brady wins, all the credit goes to him? But when he loses, all the blame gets put on the defense? The defense and special teams played a bigger role than Tom Brady did in the Patriots 1st Super Bowl run. It held Oakland to just 13 points in the divisional playoff game, yet if it was not for the tuck rule, they would have lost. It was as good as being the last play of the game since the Pats were out of timeouts and there was only 1:43 left in the game.

The next game against the Steelers the defense allowed 17 points. They intercepted 3 passes and held the Steelers running backs to 19 total yards.

Brady got injured late in the first half, but before the injury, he lead the offense to 0 points. Drew Bledsoe came in and lead the team to its only offensive touchdown of the game. In addition to the TD pass, Bledsoe put the Patriots in position for a 4th quarter field goal and allowed his team to hold the ball long enough to avoid constant pressure late in the game. The other scores came from a punt return and a blocked field goal returned for a touchdown.

The very next season the defense ranked 17th, and Tom Brady manages to win 9 games and they miss the playoffs.

In 2003, the defense ranked #1. They held the Titans to 14 points. They held Eddie George and Chris Brown to 84 yards rushing and sacked McNair 3 times.

In the Conference Championship game, The defense only allowed 14 point against the Colts and forced 5 turnovers.

In 2004, they held the Colts to 3 points in the divisional playoff game. They held the Steelers to only a field goal in the first half of the Conference Championchip game. They were so far ahead at that point the defense started playing soft and allowed 24 point in the second half.

Say what you want, but the defense played a huge role in the Patriots Super Bowl runs.

The Rams were the #1 ranked offense that year. They scored 45 points against Green Bay and 29 points against Philly. The Pats defense held them to just 17 points.

How can you give all the credit to Brady when he leads his team to points, but blame it on the Pats defense when someone scores against them. Why won't you give any credit to the Panthers offense? Why doesn't some of the blame fall on the Panthers defense for allowing Brady to put his team in field goal range?

If they scored a garbage time TD, then the Pats D held Philly to just 14 points when it mattered right?

Since you say the defense was so bad, I guess it would depend on who won the toss. :chuckle:

That was after the defense allowed 21 points. It was 21-3 in the third, and Manning got them to within 3 points. Yes, they got a lucky break with the overturned interception, and the Bettis fumble, but you know if that had been the Patriots it would have been returned for a TD and they would have won the game.

The Colts defense has been ranked in the top 10 only 4 times in past 11 seasons. They have been ranked in the bottom five 4 times in those 11 seasons. The other years, they were never ranked above 17th.

The Patriots defense has been ranked in the top seven 5 out of 7 seasons. The two seasons when the defense ranked 17th, the Pats missed the playoffs and lost to Denver in the playoffs.

I respect your opinion, but don't see how you can say that when Brady has never played with the terrible defenses the Colts have had, and the 2 times the Patriots defense ranked 17th, they missed the playoffs 1 year and lost to Denver the next.

Brady's 3 Super Bowl wins came when his defense ranked #6, #1 and #2.

Please don't get me wrong. I think Brady is a great QB, but I don't think it is fair to say that he is the only reason for the Patriots Super Bowl runs. We all know it was the cheating. :lol:

It's very fair, it just shows the franchise was headed downward for years. Carroll as an NFL HC had as many playoff wins and more playoff apps than Belichick did before BB got Brady.

Pete Carroll 1994 Jets, 1997-99 Pats(4 seasons):

33-31, 52%, 2 postseason apps, 1 div title, 1 playoff win

Bill Belichick w/o Brady:

51-62, 45%, ZERO div titles, ONE playoff app, 1 playoff win

The comparions is valid.

Brady doesn't get all the credit but he gets most of it b/c he has been THE biggest reason NE became a dynasty this decade.

The D and STs played a huge role in their '01 title run. Brady was more of a game manager that year but they are never even in the playoffs w/o him and he made plays when his team needed them. They don't beat Oak w/o him and they don't beat SL w/o him.

The Pitt AFC Title Game Brady got hurt on a play that set NE up 1st and 10 at the Pitt 40 w/ NE up 7-3. Bledsoe led that TD drive and did nothing else all day. Brady was 12-18 for 115 in less than a half and Bledsoe was 10-21 for 102 for more than a half. The best thing Bledsoe did was not turn it over which he normally does.

The next season they were defending champs for the first time, they had a target on their back for the first time. That is a huge difference. In '04 when they tried it a 2nd time they managed to steamroll their competition b/c they were better prepared to defend their title. Going back to back is hard, the same thing happened w/ Montana and SF in '82.

In 2003 how did the Pats D do against Carolina in the SB?

In 2004 they beat Pitt b/c of O not D, never mind choking Peyton and the Colts who most D's shut down in postseason.

The Rams scored 45 against GB b/c the Packers got Favred. He threw SIX INTs, THREE returned for TDs! The SL O only scored 24 points. NE had held them to 3 points through 3 qtrs and allowed two late TDs to tie the game, they melted under the pressure of the SB in the 4th qtr just like Pitt's D did last year.

How can you give all the credit to the Pats D but when Brady leads great drives and his team to alot of points it's b/c of the opposing D?

Yep, the NE D did a good job against Philly as did the NE O.

After the D allowed Indy to fall behind 21-3? So Peyton shouldn't have scored any points before the opponent scored 21? Indy punted on their first 4 possessions of the game and had ONE 1st down before they finally scored a FG on their last possession of the 1st half. The Colts didn't get one lucky break they got 2 HUGE lucky breaks- 3 really. The Poalamalu INt which basically would have ended tha game, the Bettis fumble AND Indy returning it near midfield.

You can talk D rankings all you want, here is what matters:

In postseason:

Colts D: 20.1 PPG
NE D: 18.2 PPG

Less than 2 PPG but in playoff losses Brady has led his O to 18 PPG while Manning has led his Os to 13.6 PPG, almost 4.5 PPG difference which is more than double the difference in the D's PPG allowed.

Blame the D's all you want but you aren't winning many playoff games averaging 13.6 PPG. Manning's high powered O's have consistently come up short in January. Has Brady ever been shut out? has he ever lost at home?

Brady is not the ONLY reason NE has won 3 SBs and 4 AFC Titles but he is the biggest reason just like Peyton is the biggest reason Indy only has 1 SB app.

Cassel proved that anybody can win playing QB for that team. Brady is overrated. He's not a bad QB, but he is no where near great.

He did How so? By leading them to 5 LESS wins and no playoff app despite a weaker sched than the year before?

He did How so? By leading them to 5 LESS wins and no playoff app despite a weaker sched than the year before?

In fairness though Junc, for a QB that was never a starter in his career, for him to go 10-5 was a pretty good achievement. You really do have to put some of that down to the system.

I'm still skeptical about Cassell and what he does in KC will determine just of much of his success in New England was down to the system.

In fairness though Junc, for a QB that was never a starter in his career, for him to go 10-5 was a pretty good achievement. You really do have to put some of that down to the system.

I'm still skeptical about Cassell and what he does in KC will determine just of much of his success in New England was down to the system.

It was a nice achivement BUT he had been in that system learning from the best QB in the game for a few years and NE had been high on him for a while.

It's very fair, it just shows the franchise was headed downward for years. Carroll as an NFL HC had as many playoff wins and more playoff apps than Belichick did before BB got Brady.

Pete Carroll 1994 Jets, 1997-99 Pats(4 seasons):

33-31, 52%, 2 postseason apps, 1 div title, 1 playoff win

Bill Belichick w/o Brady:

51-62, 45%, ZERO div titles, ONE playoff app, 1 playoff win

The comparions is valid.

They were in the Super Bowl in 96 with Parcells. Carrol took over a team that was just in the Super Bowl. I don't think that Carrol is a very good NFL head coach. Regardless of how good or bad you think Carrol is, his division title and playoff appearance was because of the team he inherited. You are right about the Pats being on the decline, but it was not becasue they did not have Tom Brady. The Pats were on the decline for multiple reasons.

#1. They just lost Bill Parcells.
#2. Pete Carrol took over. (The Pats were already a Super Bowl team which is why Carrol was able to win the division 1 year and get them to playoffs.

#3. In the 1997 off-season, Parcells convinced several Pats players (The biggest one being Curtis Martin) to come play for the Jets.

#4. They Lost a promising replacement for Martin when Robert Edwards was injured playing flag football in Hawaii.

Bilichick took over an 8-8 team that was on the decline. They had Terry Allen as the leading rusher, and the offensive line was terrible. That is a little different than taking over for a team that was just in the Super Bowl.

You can compare Bilichiks record with the Browns against Carrols record with the Pats and Jets, but it is not a fair comparison. The Browns were a 3-13 team when Bilichick took over and he turned them into an 11-5 playoff team after 3 seasons before going 5-11 in his 5th season with them. Yes, he went 5-11 in his first season with the Pats, but they were an 8-8 team on the decline when he took over. It takes time to build a team.

The Jets were an 8-8 team when Carrol took over, and he led them to a 6-10 record. The Pats were a Super Bowl team when Carrol took over, and he turned them into an 8-8 team after 3 seasons.

Brady doesn't get all the credit but he gets most of it b/c he has been THE biggest reason NE became a dynasty this decade.

The D and STs played a huge role in their '01 title run. Brady was more of a game manager that year but they are never even in the playoffs w/o him and he made plays when his team needed them. They don't beat Oak w/o him and they don't beat SL w/o him.
I completely disagree. Just because Bilichick went 5-11 in his first season with the Pats, and started 0-2 in his second season, does not automatically mean that they would have missed the playoffs if Brady had not taken over.

Bill Parcells took over for the Patriots in 93. Talk about a team on the decline. They were 6-10 and 2-14 in the previous two seasons.

In 95 the Pats went 6-10 under Parcells and started 0-2 in 96. Just like the 2001 season, the 96 Pats started 0-2, but turned it around and made it to the Super Bowl.

I already showed you that Brady faced weak competition, and did little in the playoffs in the 01 season. You can't tell me that Bledsoe could not have done the same when he already lead his team to the Super Bowl after an identical 0-2 start 4 seasons earlier.

The next season they were defending champs for the first time, they had a target on their back for the first time. That is a huge difference. In '04 when they tried it a 2nd time they managed to steamroll their competition b/c they were better prepared to defend their title. Going back to back is hard, the same thing happened w/ Montana and SF in '82.
I guess it is just a coincidence that their defense ranked 17th the year they were unprepared and missed the playoffs, and #2 the year they steamrolled the competition.

In 2003 how did the Pats D do against Carolina in the SB?
How did the Panthers D do against the Pats in the Super Bowl? You can't blame one defense, and give all the credit to the Pats offense.

In 2004 they beat Pitt b/c of O not D, never mind choking Peyton and the Colts who most D's shut down in postseason.
In 2003 those Colts put up 41 against the Broncos and 38 against the Chiefs before the Pats D held them to just 14 points.

In 2004 those Colts put up 49 on the Broncos before the Pats D held them to just 3 points. I am not giving all the credit to the defense. I am sure a dome team playing in NE had something to do with it.

They held Pitt to a field goal after one half. The offense surely helped, but the game was already over at the half.

The Rams scored 45 against GB b/c the Packers got Favred. He threw SIX INTs, THREE returned for TDs! The SL O only scored 24 points. NE had held them to 3 points through 3 qtrs and allowed two late TDs to tie the game, they melted under the pressure of the SB in the 4th qtr just like Pitt's D did last year.
The Rams were the #1 ranked offense that year. You can't ask for more than holding the high powered Rams offense to just 17 points. That same defense that melted under pressure intercepted Warner 2 times. One was returned for a TD, and the other set them up on the Rams 33 yardline which led to a field goal. They also forced a fumble and returned it to the Rams 40 yardline which also lead to a TD.

How can you give all the credit to the Pats D but when Brady leads great drives and his team to alot of points it's b/c of the opposing D?
I never said when Brady lead his team to points it was because of the opposing defense. I am just using your logic. You blame the Pats D when they allow the #1 ranked Rams offense to score 17 points, and the Panthers to score 29. You never give any credit to the fact that they were pretty good on offense themselves.

Brady is not the ONLY reason NE has won 3 SBs and 4 AFC Titles but he is the biggest reason just like Peyton is the biggest reason Indy only has 1 SB app.
We will just have to agree to disagree. Brady leading the Pats to a game winning field goal against the Rams was nice, but if it was not for the defense returning an interception for a touchdown, it would have been for nothing. In fact if it was not for the NE D and ST, the Pats would not have even made it to the Super Bowl that year. I showed you what they did against Pitt in the AFC Championship game. Brady had nothing to do with it.

Even though the Pats D gave up 29 against the Panthers, they forced a fumble which gave the Pats offense the ball on the Panthers 20. That lead to a NE touchdown.

They had 3 picks against Philly. One of which took away 3 points since the Eagles were in field goal range.

When I know that all 3 of those games were won by 3 points, it makes me say that none of them would have been won if it was not for the defense. I give credit to Brady for leading his team to game winning field goals, but if it was not for the defense and special teams, he would not have even had the chance. Since that is the case, you can not say Brady is the biggest reason.

I know you feel differently, but it is pretty clear to me. I know I will not convince you, and you will not convince me. Nevertheless, I always enjoy debating with you. :up:

They were in the Super Bowl in 96 with Parcells. Carrol took over a team that was just in the Super Bowl. I don't think that Carrol is a very good NFL head coach. Regardless of how good or bad you think Carrol is, his division title and playoff appearance was because of the team he inherited. You are right about the Pats being on the decline, but it was not becasue they did not have Tom Brady. The Pats were on the decline for multiple reasons.

#1. They just lost Bill Parcells.
#2. Pete Carrol took over. (The Pats were already a Super Bowl team which is why Carrol was able to win the division 1 year and get them to playoffs.

#3. In the 1997 off-season, Parcells convinced several Pats players (The biggest one being Curtis Martin) to come play for the Jets.

#4. They Lost a promising replacement for Martin when Robert Edwards was injured playing flag football in Hawaii.

Bilichick took over an 8-8 team that was on the decline. They had Terry Allen as the leading rusher, and the offensive line was terrible. That is a little different than taking over for a team that was just in the Super Bowl.

You can compare Bilichiks record with the Browns against Carrols record with the Pats and Jets, but it is not a fair comparison. The Browns were a 3-13 team when Bilichick took over and he turned them into an 11-5 playoff team after 3 seasons before going 5-11 in his 5th season with them. Yes, he went 5-11 in his first season with the Pats, but they were an 8-8 team on the decline when he took over. It takes time to build a team.

The Jets were an 8-8 team when Carrol took over, and he led them to a 6-10 record. The Pats were a Super Bowl team when Carrol took over, and he turned them into an 8-8 team after 3 seasons.

I completely disagree. Just because Bilichick went 5-11 in his first season with the Pats, and started 0-2 in his second season, does not automatically mean that they would have missed the playoffs if Brady had not taken over.

Bill Parcells took over for the Patriots in 93. Talk about a team on the decline. They were 6-10 and 2-14 in the previous two seasons.

In 95 the Pats went 6-10 under Parcells and started 0-2 in 96. Just like the 2001 season, the 96 Pats started 0-2, but turned it around and made it to the Super Bowl.

I already showed you that Brady faced weak competition, and did little in the playoffs in the 01 season. You can't tell me that Bledsoe could not have done the same when he already lead his team to the Super Bowl after an identical 0-2 start 4 seasons earlier.

I guess it is just a coincidence that their defense ranked 17th the year they were unprepared and missed the playoffs, and #2 the year they steamrolled the competition.

How did the Panthers D do against the Pats in the Super Bowl? You can't blame one defense, and give all the credit to the Pats offense.

In 2003 those Colts put up 41 against the Broncos and 38 against the Chiefs before the Pats D held them to just 14 points.

In 2004 those Colts put up 49 on the Broncos before the Pats D held them to just 3 points. I am not giving all the credit to the defense. I am sure a dome team playing in NE had something to do with it.

They held Pitt to a field goal after one half. The offense surely helped, but the game was already over at the half.

The Rams were the #1 ranked offense that year. You can't ask for more than holding the high powered Rams offense to just 17 points. That same defense that melted under pressure intercepted Warner 2 times. One was returned for a TD, and the other set them up on the Rams 33 yardline which led to a field goal. They also forced a fumble and returned it to the Rams 40 yardline which also lead to a TD.

I never said when Brady lead his team to points it was because of the opposing defense. I am just using your logic. You blame the Pats D when they allow the #1 ranked Rams offense to score 17 points, and the Panthers to score 29. You never give any credit to the fact that they were pretty good on offense themselves.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Brady leading the Pats to a game winning field goal against the Rams was nice, but if it was not for the defense returning an interception for a touchdown, it would have been for nothing. In fact if it was not for the NE D and ST, the Pats would not have even made it to the Super Bowl that year. I showed you what they did against Pitt in the AFC Championship game. Brady had nothing to do with it.

Even though the Pats D gave up 29 against the Panthers, they forced a fumble which gave the Pats offense the ball on the Panthers 20. That lead to a NE touchdown.

They had 3 picks against Philly. One of which took away 3 points since the Eagles were in field goal range.

When I know that all 3 of those games were won by 3 points, it makes me say that none of them would have been won if it was not for the defense. I give credit to Brady for leading his team to game winning field goals, but if it was not for the defense and special teams, he would not have even had the chance. Since that is the case, you can not say Brady is the biggest reason.

I know you feel differently, but it is pretty clear to me. I know I will not convince you, and you will not convince me. Nevertheless, I always enjoy debating with you. :up:

NE '96 was a good, not great, team. They made the SB thanks to Jax upsetting Denver who would have killed NE in the title game. Bill Belichick in Cleveland inherited a team in 1991 1 year removed from going to the AFC Championship so he and Carroll inherited similar teams.

They did lose Bill Parcells but won the div again the following year, they did lose Curtis Martin the next year but made the playoffs again the following year w/ Scott Zolak starting late in the season. NE had talent and Belichick inherited talent in NE.

He inherited a QB who reached a SB, he inherited a really good purpose back in Kevin Faulk, he inherited Troy Brown and Terry Glenn at WR, Bruce Armstrong, Joe Andruzzi and Damien Woody on the OL. On D he inherited Willie McGinest, Chad Eaton, Chris Slade, Tedy Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Tebucky Jones and brought over Otis Smith and Bobby Hamilton. On STs he inherited Adam Vinatieri- this is basically the core of the team around Brady and he went 5-11 w/ them in 2000 then started 0-2 in 2001.

The Jets had been going up and down for years. We were 8-7-1 in '88, 4-12 in '89, 6-10 in '90, 8-8 in '91, 4-12 in '92, 8-8 in '93. yeah we were 6-10 in Carroll's only season but that was what we were back then and the man only had 1 season to prove himself, he did a better job w/ better talent in NE.

The bottom line is w/o Brady Carroll has had more success in the NFL than Belichick has.

Bill Parcells specialty was taking over awful teams and turning them around. That wasn't a Belichick specialty and that team was an absolute sinking ship, had Brady not come in he would have been fired as there's no way they make the playoffs w/ Brady. I vividly remember the game where Mo knocked out Bledsoe and Brady came in and you could instantly see a difference in the 2 QBs. I remember commenting to my wife as we watched the game that this Brady guy looks pretty damn good. He didn't have much time in the game and NE didn't score(the game ended on our 2 yard line) but if he had another :30 secs that game was likely going to OT.

In 1996 the Pats started out 0-2 losing to 2 teams that would win double digit games and they lost close games on the road. In 2001 they lost to the Bengals as part of 0-2.

Where did you show me he faced weak competition? and he was great against Oakland in the snow, he wasn't great in his less than 2 qtrs against Pitt but he left the game w/ a 1st down at the Pitt 40 so they were moving the ball. NE faced weak competition in 2000- how did that turn out?

You can look at rankings all you want but that doesn't tell the whole story. They had 3 games allowing 30 or more:

Gave up 38 to KC and WON the game 41-38
Gave up 30 to Chicago and WON the game 33-30
Gave up 30 to the Jets and lost 30-17

They were 2-1 in games they gave up 30 or more in so it wasn't. In the other 13 games they gave up 18.5 PPG, Miami allowed 18.8 PPG for the season and they finished 4th in PA.

The Pats D has failed multiple times in big spots only to be rescued by Brady and the O, the problem in SB XLII was that the O scored too quickly. You can say the Panthers D choked in SB XXXVIII but at least they were facing the best QB of his generation while NE was facing a decent QB from a much weaker conf.

Those amazing Bronco and Chief D's. Man that Peyton is one big time playoff performer:lol: Those 2 teams have won a combined ONE playoff game since 1999 and they played Den at home where Den hasn't won a road playoff game since beating KC in 1997 and KC hadn't won a playoff game of any kind since 1993(they lost in '95, '97 and '03 at home w/ a bye).

Again in '04 they faced the Broncos at home.

In '03 the Pats allowed just 14 to Indy after Indy thrashed Den and KLC but NE's D would allow 29 to Carolina in their next game.

In '04 Indy crushed Den again then scored just 3 points at NE while in the next 2 games NE's D would allow 27 and 21 points to lesser offenses.

That Pitt game was not over yet, Pitt mounted a comeback and made the game interesting in the 4th qtr. Now had B rady pulled a Manning and not led his team to points early then Pitt probably wins but he didn't.

You can ask for a team to not blow a 14 point 4th qtr lead in a flash. SL's O was great but they also weren't great in big games. They scored 11 in the '99 NFC title game, 23 in their first SB, 21 against GB in the '01 playoffs and 24 against Philly- good point totals but far from great. They were up 2 TDs and the D choked only to be saved by the O on that incredible drive to win the game. They did alot of good things in that game but they melted in the 4th qtr and almost cost them a SB.

I do blame the Pats D for allowing 14 4th qtr points to almost blow the game and I do blame them for allowing 19 4th qtr points to almost blow the Panther SB.

They wouldn't have won in '01 w/o their D and STs but again they wouldn't have even been a playoff team w/o Brady.

So if the D does anything good in the game it absolves them of blowing late leads? B/c James Harrison returned that INT for a TD in the SB last year the Pitt D was great despite blowing a double digit lead in the 4th qtr? That doesn't make sense. I guess b/c Doug Brien kicked a FG early in the '04 div playoffs he goes blamesless for missing 2 kicks late when we only needed one of them to beat Pitt?

The fact that they were 3 point games makes the decision making of the QB that much bigger. Brady was a young 1st year starter and he got the ball at his 17 w/ just over a minute and no timeouts against the Rams. Against Carolina his D gave up 19 4th qtr points and he needed to score 30 to win that game.

The Pats D's have been GOOD, the D and STs have contributed significantly to their dynasty BUT the biggest reason for their dynasty is Tom Brady. He's by far the best QB of his generation and w/o him they have a good team that can't quite break through but w/ him they had a dynasty.

Also, let's not forget the average offensive talent around him in the dynasty years. It was like Montana and the Niners 1981. That is what seperates Brady from the rest this generation.

I enjoy th civil debates as well. I hate backing Brady and NE but that's how I feel, it makes feel as dirty as when I defend Marino against other fans. :crazy:

brady is the modern day montana, overrated and great o line that equals success in the nfl nuff said

brady is the modern day montana, overrated and great o line that equals success in the nfl nuff said

He is the modern day Montana and he's right up there w/ Joe and a couple of other sin the running for best QB of all time.

How did Steve Young do w/ that Niner team when he took over for Joe? It's nice to have great fantasy stats but it's more important to have a QB that doesn't fold undre pressure like Manning, like Steve Young,...

Back
Top Bottom