It's raining corners | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's raining corners

Not to slam Vontae Davis or Sean Smith, but I could rustle up a couple guys off the playground who could cover and tackle receivers better than they could. I also feel that we don't have to use our 12th overall pick for a d-back, even though Xavier Rhodes should be a very good pro. We could probably trade down and still get him or Trufant or someone else.

I see Miami signing a FA corner and drafting another two reasonably high, and then having a free for all in camp. I may be the only guy on this site who likes Dimitri Patterson, but he's a good corner IMO. I am not all that high on Marshall, but he will at least make some plays even though his limitations lead to him giving up a ton of plays too.

This draft is deep and really good at corner. Rhodes, Trufant, Wreh-Wilson, Poyer, McFadden, Hayden, Alford, and Hawthorne are some guys I like. This is perfect for a team loaded with day two picks like Miami is. I worry that Miami will like Banks and Amerson, two guys I don't like, in a mis-guided attempt to get "playmakers." But overall, this is a great year to nab two corners in rounds 2-4. While I like Rhodes' size, frankly the delta between Rhodes and Trufant as first rounders on the one hand is not all that great compared with some of the day two guys like Wreh-Wilson, McFadden, Alford et al on the other hand. I'd rather go somewhere else in round 1 (Austin, Eifert, Patterson, or Werner) and nab 2 corners between rounds 2 and 4.

Say you sign Grimes, who I really, really like when healthy. Bring back Patterson and Marshall. That's three veterans. Draft a couple of along the lines of Wreh-Wilson, McFadden, Alford, Hayden... Now you have 5 spots filled at corner. Jimmy Wilson and Carroll could compete too. You could easily end up with 5-6 solid corners, with a mix of a couple vets, a couple of developing youngsters, and a project

Not to slam Vontae Davis or Sean Smith, but I could rustle up a couple guys off the playground who could cover and tackle receivers better than they could. I also feel that we don't have to use our 12th overall pick for a d-back, even though Xavier Rhodes should be a very good pro. We could probably trade down and still get him or Trufant or someone else.

Rhodes had a very bad showing at his pro day. Slipped a lot and had poor short area COD according to reports. I'm not sure he's good value at #12.

I'd rather use our #47th pick and draft a corner. Sam Shields is a good idea, I'm on board with it but I just do not see it happening because I do not see the Packer's letting him go unless we make a huge offer, and we can to a certain extent, control what we do in the draft.

See here's the thing. Miami has like $16+ million in cap space in 2013 because they artificially lowered all their 1st year cap numbers in the new contracts. You could turn around and take that cap space and use it to make an offer to Sam Shields with an artificially inflated cap number in 1st year. Let's say, $11 million? It wouldn't have to be an $11 million a year contract. It could be $7 or $8 million a year. But you could inflate the 1st year cap number by making his guaranteed money into 1st year salary instead of signing bonus. That's what the original "poison pill" was before they started perverting it into clauses which are now banned (e.g. if a player plays more than 4 games in the state of Minnesota, his contract becomes guaranteed).

The Packers are really up against the cap. Could they make room for a sudden $11 million 2013 cap figure?

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

The way things are heading with the corner position currently, how they keep talking about Richard Marshall and Dimitri Patterson, one phrase keeps coming to mind:

4's, 5's and 6's...

They said it rained right before the workout. Might have something to do with the slipping? I don't think the Dolphins would be able to get one of the top corners with 2a. Trading back is a risk too. There might be a run on them with there being so few top level CB. Only Milliner, Rhodes and Trufant are guys I think can step right in and start. Maybe Banks.

Back
Top Bottom