J-Off's 2024 OT's | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums
I think the OL/DL in the first comes down to who's rights do you want to control for the 5th year? I'd lean towards a potential LT instead of the best DT. (assuming no Aaron Donald in the draft ;))
That is a good point.

But it looks to me that the FA market for OL and DL is paying both at a very high rate as we just saw with Hunt and Wilkins getting too much money.

I would say a good OT is harder to replace than an IOL or a DT unless they are All Pro types so from that angle Ot in R1 might be the best financial decision.

Look what Miami had to pay to get Armstead and he was only on the market because of his injury history.

That is a good point.

But it looks to me that the FA market for OL and DL is paying both at a very high rate as we just saw with Hunt and Wilkins getting too much money.

I would say a good OT is harder to replace than an IOL or a DT unless they are All Pro types so from that angle Ot in R1 might be the best financial decision.

Look what Miami had to pay to get Armstead and he was only on the market because of his injury history.
The problem is, I think there will be better players available at other positions than at offensive tackle when Miami is on the clock. I think at least five tackles will be gone by the time Miami is on the clock. I think Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Fautanu, and Latham will all be gone for sure and likely Mims too, so now you are looking at a lower tier of tackle like Barton and Morgan. Will they be better options than the WRs or DTs that will be available at #21? Maybe it's better to go in a different direction at #21other than tackle and come back in the second round and take the best available OL.

The problem is, I think there will be better players available at other positions than at offensive tackle when Miami is on the clock. I think at least five tackles will be gone by the time Miami is on the clock. I think Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Fautanu, and Latham will all be gone for sure and likely Mims too, so now you are looking at a lower tier of tackle like Barton and Morgan. Will they be better options than the WRs or DTs that will be available at #21? Maybe it's better to go in a different direction at #21other than tackle and come back in the second round and take the best available OL.
I am trading back to take a guy like Barton or Morgan.

Absent that you have to go BPA, likely DT or Edge.

If it is just a few spots I would not be averse to moving UP slightly using a future pick to secure one of the top OT's but it would all depend on the price.They are going to have three 3rd's NEXT year so they could part with one.According to the charts a future 3rd could get you from #21 to #18-19 which might be enough for Latham or Fautanu.

I am trading back to take a guy like Barton or Morgan.

Absent that you have to go BPA, likely DT or Edge.

If it is just a few spots I would not be averse to moving UP slightly using a future pick to secure one of the top OT's but it would all depend on the price.They are going to have three 3rd's NEXT year so they could part with one.According to the charts a future 3rd could get you from #21 to #18-19 which might be enough for Latham or Fautanu.
I would add wide receiver too.

I was taking a second look at Tyler Guyton, and I really think I have been sleeping on this kid. I was wondering what @j-off-her-doll or any of you other guys think about Guyton's chances of playing on the left side? If he can eventually play on the left side, he would move up quite a few notches for me. He looks athletic enough to me to make the transition. What do you guys think?

I was taking a second look at Tyler Guyton, and I really think I have been sleeping on this kid. I was wondering what @j-off-her-doll or any of you other guys think about Guyton's chances of playing on the left side? If he can eventually play on the left side, he would move up quite a few notches for me. He looks athletic enough to me to make the transition. What do you guys think?
I like him too, only question to me is where does he play year one?

Guyton has the athleticism to play LT but he would have to adjust to changing sides.

The LT is not as important a spot for Miami with Tua being a lefty but he has all the pass protection traits you are looking for at OT.

As for where he would ply as a rookie he could well be playing LT while Armstead is out injured but I am not sure you want to throw the kid out there early. He does not bring the IOL versatility that so many of the other OL do but if you think he will be a quality OT that should not stop you from taking him.

I too would prefer to add a future OT who can start inside where Miami has a need but that is not a deal breaker. The Fins will have some cap space in June so they can always add a vet OG like Risner for example.

Guyton has the athleticism to play LT but he would have to adjust to changing sides.

The LT is not as important a spot for Miami with Tua being a lefty but he has all the pass protection traits you are looking for at OT.

As for where he would ply as a rookie he could well be playing LT while Armstead is out injured but I am not sure you want to throw the kid out there early. He does not bring the IOL versatility that so many of the other OL do but if you think he will be a quality OT that should not stop you from taking him.

I too would prefer to add a future OT who can start inside where Miami has a need but that is not a deal breaker. The Fins will have some cap space in June so they can always add a vet OG like Risner for example.

Not a deal breaker to have him sit and learn until filling in for an injury, just kind of hurts having a top pick not contributing right away in a year with limited picks. But Armstead is so prone to injury so yeah he could play a lot sooner than expected. I would pick him over a straight up guard only prospect at 21.

I would pick him over a straight up guard only prospect at 21.
I would as well.

I would probably try to trade down and then take an IOL but if Guyton is the top OT on the board and there is not a BPA too good to pass I would not be upset with Guyton at #21.

I like him too, only question to me is where does he play year one?
Like @jimthefin said, if they think he could eventually play left tackle for them and none of the other tackles available at their pick project inside to guard either, I really wouldn't care if he doesn't get any starting snaps this season. I think I would rather take Guyton at 21 than Barton at 21 even though Barton projects well inside. I'd rather have the long-term upside at tackle than the immediate need at guard at pick 21.

Like @jimthefin said, if they think he could eventually play left tackle for them and none of the other tackles available at their pick project inside to guard either, I really wouldn't care if he doesn't get any starting snaps this season. I think I would rather take Guyton at 21 than Barton at 21 even though Barton projects well inside. I'd rather have the long-term upside at tackle than the immediate need at guard at pick 21.
Lamm resigning gives a rookie a year to learn LT, though I am still not sure OT will be BPA at 21 or if the team doesn't go one of the other directions that have been well-discussed on this and the general forum.

The more mocks I see from insiders and plugged in people make me think none of the OT's are going to make it to #21.

Maybe Mims and Guyton but neither is a sure thing.

I am starting to see Barton go before #21 as well.

It might be JPJ, Thomas, Newton or Verse for Miami.

The more mocks I see from insiders and plugged in people make me think none of the OT's are going to make it to #21.

Maybe Mims and Guyton but neither is a sure thing.

I am starting to see Barton go before #21 as well.

It might be JPJ, Thomas, Newton or Verse for Miami.

I agree, OTs usually go higher than expected.
Mims is a physical freak, he'd have to test out atrociously with teams to fall to 21.

I agree, OTs usually go higher than expected.
Mims is a physical freak, he'd have to test out atrociously with teams to fall to 21.
Normally at #21 you are not getting a sniff at a quality OT but this class is silly deep.

Just not quite deep enough.

We need some teams to over draft the 2nd tier of QB's. It looks to be happening with McCarthy but we need LV and Denver to get stupid a take Penix and Nix in R1.

That would really help.

An earlier than expected run on the CB's would be useful too.

I am pretty confident that Miami can land a solid IOL at #55, Haynes, McCormick, Beebe, Frazier, Van Pran or maybe an OT like Suamataia or Amengadjie or my sleep Ol Dominck Puni from KU. So I would not be unhappy with a Johnny Newton or Jared Verse in R1.

I am still hoping for a Mims/Latham/Fautanu to slip to Miami or a trade down as my best outcomes.

I am also starting to warm to the idea of Brian Thomas Jr at #21.

Back
Top Bottom