Jake Grove 12 million signing bonus..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MDFINFAN, Apr 6, 2009.

1. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator Donator

Here's a breakdown of recent contracts to include Wilson..

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2009/04/06/the-dolphins-give-12-million-reasons-and-then-some-why-they-like-jake-grove/

Can't say Miami was cheap with these guys, except maybe Channing...

2. MDFinFan06

MDFinFan06 Fins4life

not cheap but i like what i see, i think we need do draft a center in the mid rounds to be built up and as depth

3. 4THand10

4THand10 A True Fan

Thanks for the link.

Lets hope Grove is not this years Justin Smiley.

4. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

What? Why did you say Justin Smiley when you obviously meant Ernest Wilford?

Btw, that is still a ridiculous amount of money to pay. Parcells and Co still have my absolute full support, but if things go bad for us let's not say there weren't some warning signs.

5. LibertineOneThree

LibertineOneThree English Fin

Wow, I didn't realise how nice that Crowder deal was. Fair play to Channing, who surely knew he could've got more elsewhere. Kid's a Fin.

After all the talk coming from his camp earlier this year, I assumed he was either going to run to money or squeeze us for too much. We ended up signing him to a nice, solid deal, IMO. Nice work, both parties.

6. uk_Duper85

uk_Duper85 Scout Team

Still not seen anything regarding Eric Green's contract, anyone know what we paid him?

7. X-Pacolypse

X-Pacolypse A True Fan

I think he meant in terms of injuries. Smiley, much like Grove is productive when healthy. The problem is, they never stay healthy.

8. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG ~LACUNA LEGIONS~

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we reached on Grove....

IN TUNA WE TRUST...

9. dramaMEAN

dramaMEAN Rookie

this kills me...

“I have a lot of respect for what Samson did here,” Ireland said. “He’s a good player. He’s a high-character guy, and I like him very much.

“But we needed better consistency at the position.”

ummm.... then explain this:

Grove has played only one 16-game season in five years.

Meanwhile, Satele didn’t miss a game the past two seasons.

lmao... this is a bust waiting to happen.. i mean, i think satele had limitations within our scheme.. i just dont buyu the consistency theory they are trying to feed us..

10. ArmyFin7

ArmyFin7 U cry about the $$$, we do the dirtywork

Satele was pretty consistent....at getting swallowed alive by NT's....

11. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Satele is too weak to handle the bigger NT's in both the running and passing game. by 'consistency' Ireland means someone who can win every matchup, not just suiting up. if the guy gets blown up by any NT with size, what's the point of him starting every game? that just means he sucks more often.
    also, Grove has had a grand total of two injuries that caused him to miss games in his career and has finished the season healthy 4 out of 5 years. can we stop with the overblown injury history on Jake Grove?

12. BLITZKRIEG

What's overblown? Out of 88 potential games, Grove has missed 34 of them. If he wasn't injured, he obviously wasn't playing well enough to start. I don't think his injury history is overblown at all, especially when he's only managed to finish one full season in five years...

IN TUNA WE TRUST....

13. rent this space

first of all, 5 years is 80 games. second, he played in 54 games of those 80, missing 13 due to injury and 13 while developing as a young player. they drafted him to eventually replace Adam Treu so he wasn't rushed into the lineup. Grove made his rookie debut 8 games into his first year and mostly played guard until he took the starting spot at center by the end of his second season. he has been the starter ever since.
    as far as the overblown injury history, he never missed a game due to injury until the middle of his 4th season. inujry-prone guys just don't do that plain and simple. the truth is, Jake Grove has finished the season on the field(or able to be) in 4 out of 5 seasons.

we've been through all this on many occaisons yet you continue to post things that are at least distorted and many times false. what gives?

14. Mcganiel

Mcganiel A True Fan

Totally agree man. People here need to do research before posting. :up:

15. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

Your analysis is overblown!!! Hmm..... Grove missed 8 games his rookie season, he did not start. For all 34 games point to matter, then any rookie that did not start at center is a poor player. Hmmm. Dwight Stephson did not start his rookie season, so he is a bad player. This sound ludicrous because evaluating a rookie season is ridiculous. During the first two season, Grove did not start or play in 16 games. If you do not throw these out, then your analysis is massively flawed. That leaves 18 games. I can accept that you are concerned about the 18 games he missed after his first two years. I think it is legit to question missing 1/3 of the last three seasons. He had one injury that caused him to miss the majority of these games. I believe he will be fine, and I think it is likely he will play in all of the games for the next two seasons. That is my opinion, but I admit that I could be wrong.

16. MDFINFAN

http://www.phins-spotlight.com/search/label/Eric%20Green

17. BLITZKRIEG

You guys are right, we shouldn't have any concerns about Grove, or his ability to stay healthy on a yearly basis. He's already proven that it's not something we need to be concerned with.....

:foundout:

IN TUNA WE TRUST....:err:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
  18. ArmyFin7

ArmyFin7 U cry about the $$$, we do the dirtywork

Id rather take my chances with a guy that can do the job and may get injured moreso than a guy that will play all 16 games and not be able to handle the job.

19. MDFINFAN

You really can't say Satele didn't handle his job...we went to the playoffs, he had a little to do with that.. I'm going to watch those games from last year again...I know in his rookie year we all were on his jock... Just because this regime loves different ppl, doesn't mean Satele wasn't any good.. the man got us a 6th and a switch in the 4th... he was worth more than we're giving him credit for.. a burst would have yield us nothing..

20. finner

finner Starter

The obvious risk with Grove is dependability. If he stays on the field the move is brilliancy. If he misses a lot of time then its disaster. IMO given Grove's history this is a high-risk bet Ireland and Co are making.

As far as the money --- it’s ALL obscene at this point.

21. rent this space

imo, Ronnie Brown, Chad Pennington, Justin Smiley, David Martin, Jason Ferguson, Channing Crowder and Yeremiah Bell are all just as much of a risk as Jake Grove. if any one of those guys go down, there would be a dropoff.

22. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

Actually, I can. The wildcat was invented because Satele utterly failed to provide ANY push in the running game. I thank him for that. It was a very entertaining season, and it probably won us the division by beating the Patriots. I just do not want our offense to be forced to take gimmicks because of serious match up problems. It might be different if we ran a zone blocking scheme, but we don't.

23. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

to be fair,he was with....ehh...the Raiders.....I think I threw up a little in my mouth as I typed their name....

anywho,Im not concerned at all with any of the moved with Grove/Satele except for the age difference.Why would we pay $29M to a 29 yr. old is something I dont think Ill ever understand,but if its one thing I do know,the trifecta dont choose scrubs(w/ the exception of Wilford),and even if Grove did have an injury problem,I thinK its pretty safe to say we were among the lower teams w/ player placed on IR last year,when the year before we lead the lead...unfortunately....and you can thank all that to the big 3's conditioning in the offseason,so no worries on my part at all...

24. FINMAN13

FINMAN13 Starter

Injuries come from freak accidents, not being in football shape & falling on McDonald's paper bags.

But everyone should be worried about Jake Grove's health. It is a major factor of the game, those that show injury more than others tend to continue the trend...

I am a Hokie Fan...so I LOVE the Jake Grove signing. But I am not going to say...I am not worried about his health issues, that would be naive to say the least.

If he does go down, we have to shuffle the line, that is rarely a good thing. I have watched him play a ton in college. He did have a nasty streak and would pancake a guy for looking at him wrong. But he has not done it in the pros... Let's hope he gets a fresh start and plays aggressive once again and stays on the field for the entire season.

25. DUB

DUB Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

If you have really watched ANY Phins games this past year you would see Samson get absolutly OWNED 90% of the time. I recorded most the games and was shocked at how inneffective he was. We are lucky to get what we got. He got tossed around, specifically by the DT's we will see twice a year for the next 5+ years.