Jake long and Miami staying married | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake long and Miami staying married

Can you say C O L T S??? I think this is where he goes.

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

A 15 million tag is prudent?
Better 15 and find out if he stays injury prone than sign him to 30 guaranteed and have him go on IR for rest of his career.

Jake Long is not going to get big money. Once he comes to that realization the Dolphins can sign him to a performance based contract with incentives, that is fair market value. That would be the only way I see Miami bringing him back but I'm not holding my breath.

Can you say C O L T S??? I think this is where he goes.

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Better 15 and find out if he stays injury prone than sign him to 30 guaranteed and have him go on IR for rest of his career.

I really doubt the COLTS are willing to pay him after they saw Freeney destroying Long year after year!!!!

last word was ireland still working on him. everyone wants to get rid of jake without a real solution to the new problem. thats what bothers me. patterson ismuch needed#1 but left tackle can wait.......not a good answer.

Good point about the franchise tag there ^^^^. If you signed him to a multi-year deal, you still have to figure the signing bonus. I just don't see how you could avoid keeping him and paying him less than 15 million dollars THIS YEAR, even if the signing bonus doesn't count against the cap. The signing bonus is really the only guaranteed money the player gets beyond the first year salary. In year 2 the player could get cut and the rest of that contract is just toilet paper to wipe his buttocks with.

If you let Long walk, you let him walk because you truly don't believe he can play well anymore. He wouldn't take a one year deal so a huge signing bonus would be the discussion.

Jonathan Martin was a good draft pick. For years we have lived in fear of what could happen if Big Jake missed games through injury. And it happened at the tail end of last season and Martin handled the responsibility pretty well. Long is a good O lineman but his best days appear to be behind him. I expect JI to let him walk.

Long is going to want his money up front, especially with his injured past. No chance he signs something back loaded, and why would we want to? Suppose he's so injury ridden he hardly plays. You want a bunch of money taking up cap space to pay a guy to wear a suit and eat pretzels in the press box? No thanks.

a one-year fix with the franchise tag seems the prudent thing to do. we have a ton of holes, esp at WR and DB. no sense in losing your LT and getting your developing 2nd year qb killed. where this gets sketchy is the true eval of his health.

$15.36 million a year for Jake Long will never be prudent

Keep showing his greedy little agent the play where he is totally blown up by Meriman over and over. Throw in freney eating his lunch.

merriman_medium-1.gif

I remember some of these same issues with Richmond Webb in 2001 when he was a FA. The Phins let him walk and spent the next six years (and about 6 different guys) trying to replace him, mostly with disastrous results.

I don't think we should be so quick to give up on a guy who has provided stability at a position that was clearly lacking stability until he got there.

I remember some of these same issues with Richmond Webb in 2001 when he was a FA. The Phins let him walk and spent the next six years (and about 6 different guys) trying to replace him, mostly with disastrous results.

Do you remember what Webb did after leaving the Dolphins?

You really need to change the title of this thread and not have it stating like a fact that this has happened.

Webb was 4 years older than Long. My point is that when you have something that's working, I don't know if you should mess with it.

That's just it. It's NOT working. He is not an elite LT anymore. He made a lot of money from this team prior to the rookie pay scale. He was more than well compensated. As far as I'm concerned he should pay some of that money back for his play the last 2 yrs. I know that will never happen, but he should be realistic in his current contract negotiation. I doubt any team will pay him an 8 figure annual salary.

Back
Top Bottom