jake long is not joe thomas | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

jake long is not joe thomas

what film? you showed one play. can you post film of the other 100 plays against all the "speed rushers" he faced during his career? yeah, the plays where he dominated guys that have been and will be first day(round) picks?

Go back and watch wisconsin. watch what matt shaughnessy did. I believe shaughnessy was the defensive player of the week or something. watch the OSU game. Watch Cam Heyward and what he did to Long. Then again though your real certain he dominated these guys because you read that he gave up 2 sacks or whatever in 4 years. Same thing as the film I guess.

Don't keep arguing with this guy... obviously rent this space knows more than every scout that questions Jake Long's athleticism and foot speed.

I wouldnt say every scout but there is a large contingency of people that agree with us.

Go back and watch wisconsin. watch what matt shaughnessy did. I believe shaughnessy was the defensive player of the week or something. watch the OSU game. Watch Cam Heyward and what he did to Long. Then again though your real certain he dominated these guys because you read that he gave up 2 sacks or whatever in 4 years. Same thing as the film I guess.

I had no idea that these guys had such success against Jake Long. I'm sure the 1 1/2 sacks shaughnessy had against the other players didn't factor in to the award, it was all about what he did against Jake. surely you have the hours of game film that you poured over or a youtube video to back it up. certainly there must be some record of their great accomplishments. sure, they had 0 sacks against him, but those slow feet must have yielded some other great feats, right?
"2 sacks or whatever?" lmao! like you don't know...

Don't keep arguing with this guy... obviously rent this space knows more than every scout that questions Jake Long's athleticism and foot speed.

if every scout agreed with that point of view, he wouldn't be at the top of this draft, period.

I had no idea that these guys had such success against Jake Long. I'm sure the 1 1/2 sacks shaughnessy had against the other players didn't factor in to the award, it was all about what he did against Jake. surely you have the hours of game film that you poured over or a youtube video to back it up. certainly there must be some record of their great accomplishments. sure, they had 0 sacks against him, but those slow feet must have yielded some other great feats, right?
"2 sacks or whatever?" lmao! like you don't know...

Again its pretty easy to read a stat sheet and say this guy is good compared to watching the film and seeing what his weaknesses are. I guess thats the same thing though.

As for shaughnessy, he played the RE most of that game. A game in which Michigan didnt get to much done offensively. Then again though you prefer to keep looking at a stat line. Guess thats how scouting should be done from now on.

Maybe our Dolphins personnel people are cooling on Jake Long. Could it be that they see him more as the next Robert Gallery then an Orlando Pace or even a Joe Thomas? Or maybe they see him as a right tackle in the NFL and not a guy who is going to be any better then Vernon Carey as an NFL left tackle? If so then he is NOT going to be our #1 selection.

Maybe our Dolphins personnel people are cooling on Jake Long. Could it be that they see him more as the next Robert Gallery then an Orlando Pace or even a Joe Thomas? Or maybe they see him as a right tackle in the NFL and not a guy who is going to be any better then Vernon Carey as an NFL left tackle? If so then he is NOT going to be our #1 selection.

To me he is better than Gallery but no where near Pace and a couple of notches below Joe Thomas. To me if your going to take a LT at number one, you better make sure he is a franchise LT. Jake Long has to many questions about being one.

In a nutshell, Jake Long is a better run blocker then Joe Thomas but not as good of a pass blocker. That being said, do you want him #1 overall as an NFL left tackle if he's not the pass blocker that Joe Thomas is? I don't think you can justify drafting him that high.

Joe Thomas had an amazing combine whereas Long only confirmed what everyone already knew he was strong and overpowering, after Thomas' combine there was little doubt he would be an elite LT because of his atleticism. I do get frustrated when I keep saying Jake had the better college career but it means nothing and you keep repeating that he won awards, Thomas is a way better prospect for a LT plain and simple.

Joe Thomas combine numbers are no better than Long's. Long's scored better than Thomas on the agility drills. So you're just strecthing the facts to use for your advantage!

Again its pretty easy to read a stat sheet and say this guy is good compared to watching the film and seeing what his weaknesses are. I guess thats the same thing though.

As for shaughnessy, he played the RE most of that game. A game in which Michigan didnt get to much done offensively. Then again though you prefer to keep looking at a stat line. Guess thats how scouting should be done from now on.

please let me know where I can find all this game film to show me the obvious shortcomings of Jake Long. yeah, let's forget the stats(facts) and completely rely on what you decide(opinion) by watching the countless hours of game tape.
please tell me how what shaughnessy did against the right side of the line affects Jake Long. you're sayinng because the entire offense, with a true freshman at quarterback and it's starting RB out, didn't do well, that somehow proves something about Jake Long? that is an interesting way to scout a player...

please let me know where I can find all this game film to show me the obvious shortcomings of Jake Long. yeah, let's forget the stats(facts) and completely rely on what you decide(opinion) by watching the countless hours of game tape.
please tell me how what shaughnessy did against the right side of the line affects Jake Long. you're sayinng because the entire offense, with a true freshman at quarterback and it's starting RB out, didn't do well, that somehow proves something about Jake Long? that is an interesting way to scout a player...

If you would like to read my earlier post I gave you a few places to look at. Check out what Cam Heyward did to him and then I showed you what Gholston did. Find the wisconsin game and watch shaughnessy. Watch some of the Florida game. You see a TE and RB kept back to help out and the guard blocking down to take away the inside move. Again though, not on a stat sheet. As for my opinion, alot of people seem to share it.

Shaughnessy played RE which lines up on the weakside or LT of the offense. I guess they dont show that on the stat sheet though. So tell me how the right side of the line comes into play again?

Joe Thomas combine numbers are no better than Long's. Long's scored better than Thomas on the agility drills. So you're just strecthing the facts to use for your advantage!

Only if you want to put that much weight into combine numbers. They are not the end all be all. Football isnt played in shorts. Its why the talk about game speed as opposed to manufactured speed. Guys train for the combine and can cheat at the drills fairly easily. If Long is as agile as Thomas, then why did people keep questioning his feet, lateral agility and balance?

Only if you want to put that much weight into combine numbers. They are not the end all be all. Football isnt played in shorts. Its why the talk about game speed as opposed to manufactured speed. Guys train for the combine and can cheat at the drills fairly easily. If Long is as agile as Thomas, then why did people keep questioning his feet, lateral agility and balance?

Because there has to be something to question about every single draftee out there, that's why. So you have to ask yourself this very simple question, if we are in desperate need of a tackle, and the best one is this draft is a run blocking mauler with a few question marks about his pass blocking abilities, do you take him or hope that another solid tackle falls to you in the second round?

Because there has to be something to question about every single draftee out there, that's why. So you have to ask yourself this very simple question, if we are in desperate need of a tackle, and the best one is this draft is a run blocking mauler with a few question marks about his pass blocking abilities, do you take him or hope that another solid tackle falls to you in the second round?

There is a difference between nitpicking and questioning. Its not nitpicking when they say that Long has average feet, balance and lateral agility. What you want in a LT is someone that has the quick feet balance and agility to handle speed rushers as most teams use their best rusher on the weak side of the D-line. These arent question marks you just dismiss. When you take a T this high, you better make sure he is a franchise LT. What you described is a RT. A mauling run blocker with question marks about his pass pro. Im not saying Long couldnt play LT at the nfl level. Im saying I dont think he will be better as a RT.

There is a difference between nitpicking and questioning. Its not nitpicking when they say that Long has average feet, balance and lateral agility. What you want in a LT is someone that has the quick feet balance and agility to handle speed rushers as most teams use their best rusher on the weak side of the D-line. These arent question marks you just dismiss. When you take a T this high, you better make sure he is a franchise LT. What you described is a RT. A mauling run blocker with question marks about his pass pro. Im not saying Long couldnt play LT at the nfl level. Im saying I dont think he will be better as a RT.

And if worse case scenario is that he switches over to the RT side and becomes dominating there such a bad thing? I know you're going to say, "you don't draft a RT #1 overall." And I would have to agree with that, but, as many people are admitting about Robert Gallery, he hasn't really "busted" since he still is starting for the team that drafted him, just at a different position. If Chris Long, who I wouldn't mind us taking, can't play the OLB in the 3-4, what position will he play?

Back
Top Bottom