jake long is not joe thomas | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

jake long is not joe thomas

That's a big difference than his pro day measurements that I saw, but I stand corrected he does have LONGer arms. But there's a reason every scout questions his athleticism and pass blocking abilities and from what I've seen of him they're right. I dont think he's in the same league as Thomas in regards to pass blocking

Joe Thomas had his run-blocking abilities questioned coming out. no prospect is perfect. I would say that Jake's pass-blocking isn't as bad as some say. he did only give up 2 sacks in 4 years

Check this out, Long against Derrick Harvey, no slouch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5oYwvzzKVA

Not exactly the best video. Jake Long is going to dominate Harvey in the run game. Harvey does a good job against the run, but isnt overly strong. On the pass plays, Jake Long only stopped Harvey once on his own. The rest of the time, the LG blocked his guy down towards Long eliminating the inside pass rush move which allowed JL to over compensate for the outside pass rush. The very first play JL got beat bad and had Henne not got that ball out quickly, it would of been a sack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yot9ClPvZDg

Here is a good video which highlights my concern with Jake Longs ability to handle speed. Gholston beats him with speed and power to the inside. Long over steps to the outside expecting an outside pass rush. Gholston goes inside and Long doesnt have the quick feet to adjust. He loses his balance and had henne not got rid of the ball that quickly, would of been a sack. Illustrates my biggest problem with Jake Long. Henne to me has helped mask some of the pass protection problems due to his quick release.

Here's a scouts opinion from the Herald today that is saying pretty much the same thing. I still think he plays RT for us and we will have to pay Carey LT type money soon.

''I've done enough tape on him and what he is to me is an elite, Pro Bowl right tackle who may struggle with elite speed on the left side,'' said Mike Mayock, a draft analyst for the NFL Network.

'It doesn't say he can't be a left tackle. What I'm saying is that he doesn't have Joe Thomas' speed. But he's a better drive blocker.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/499051.html

Here's a scouts opinion from the Herald today that is saying pretty much the same thing. I still think he plays RT for us and we will have to pay Carey LT type money soon.

''I've done enough tape on him and what he is to me is an elite, Pro Bowl right tackle who may struggle with elite speed on the left side,'' said Mike Mayock, a draft analyst for the NFL Network.

'It doesn't say he can't be a left tackle. What I'm saying is that he doesn't have Joe Thomas' speed. But he's a better drive blocker.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/499051.html

what he said

Just says he doubts he would be elite ala Thomas. The whole point of this thread and why I am against picking him.

Just says he doubts he would be elite ala Thomas. The whole point of this thread and why I am against picking him.

speed isn't all it takes to be an elite LT. with those shorter, weaker arms Thomas better have more speed. and before you put Joe Thomas in the Hall of Fame, you might want to wait for more than 1 season.

Which is that Jake Long would be a good LT. Not a franchise one.

I'm sorry, where did it say that? because all I saw Mayock say is that he "may struggle with elite speed" on the left side. I didn't know it was a done deal.

speed isn't all it takes to be an elite LT. with those shorter, weaker arms Thomas better have more speed. and before you put Joe Thomas in the Hall of Fame, you might want to wait for more than 1 season.

Who's putting him in the hall of fame... lol keep trying he's a pro bowl LT which is what we would all want. And it won't be Jake. Sorry but LT takes more than strength, without quick feet all that strength won't be in position to make the play.

I'm sorry, where did it say that? because all I saw Mayock say is that he "may struggle with elite speed" on the left side. I didn't know it was a done deal.

Well if you listen to Mayock its what he has been saying all along. Plus if he thought he was a franchise LT, why not come out and say it?

Please tell me where anyone has said it was a done deal.

Jake Long's feet are plenty quick enough to play LT. he also stronger, meaner, more accomplished with less injuries, penalties and sacks given up than Joe Thomas was at this point his career.

Back
Top Bottom