Jake wont make us awesome... | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake wont make us awesome...

so that's 1 and a half LB's... Crowder had almost 80 tackles last year, JP had almost 70 with 5.5 sacks, JT had 11 sacks. the 3 guys you mentioned TOTALED 1.5 sacks in 1996.

They were also playing a 4-3 defense and marvin jones and mo lewis were fairly young as well. Jones was 24 and lewis was 28. Not exactly the 31 JP is or the 33 JT is.

They were also playing a 4-3 defense and marvin jones and mo lewis were fairly young as well. Jones was 24 and lewis was 28. Not exactly the 31 JP is or the 33 JT is.

I don't care what style of defense or what age they were, as a group they were simply unproductive. also, if they were switching to a 3-4, all the more need for linebackers.

I don't care what style of defense or what age they were, as a group they were simply unproductive. also, if they were switching to a 3-4, all the more need for linebackers.

unproductive how? marvin jones had a 103 tackles in 1996. mo lewis was also injured in 96. He went on to have some pretty good years under parcells amassing over 20 sacks. marvin jones same thing. Had one of his best years in 1997. Now tackles dont mean everything, but to say they were untalented and un manned isnt true. Id rather go into a game with those 2 as my LBs rather than jumbo elliot and david williams as my T's.

Age doesnt factor in how considering they were in the prime of their careers. JP and JT arent.

unproductive how? marvin jones had a 103 tackles in 1996. mo lewis was also injured in 96. He went on to have some pretty good years under parcells amassing over 20 sacks. marvin jones same thing. Had one of his best years in 1997. Now tackles dont mean everything, but to say they were untalented and un manned isnt true. Id rather go into a game with those 2 as my LBs rather than jumbo elliot and david williams as my T's.

I never said they were untalented or un manned(whatever that means lol) I'm saying they didn't have as much talent as the current Dolphin LB's. tackles are fine, but 1.5 sacks from the entire group? c'mon. the Dolphins totaled 17 from Crowder, JP and JT alone. add to the fact that they were switching to a 3-4 and it adds up to an immediate need for linebackers. the 1996 Jets are a poor example if you want to say that BP will pass on a tackle for a LB in this draft. in fact, you could say their need for at least 2 linebackers is similar to our need for at least 2 offensive linemen. one more thing, since you seem to be stuck on age, Jumbo Elliot was 32 at the start of the 1997 season.

I never said they were untalented or un manned(whatever that means lol) I'm saying they didn't have as much talent as the current Dolphin LB's. tackles are fine, but 1.5 sacks from the entire group? c'mon. the Dolphins totaled 17 from Crowder, JP and JT alone. add to the fact that they were switching to a 3-4 and it adds up to an immediate need for linebackers. the 1996 Jets are a poor example if you want to say that BP will pass on a tackle for a LB in this draft. in fact, you could say their need for at least 2 linebackers is similar to our need for at least 2 offensive linemen. one more thing, since you seem to be stuck on age, Jumbo Elliot was 32 at the start of the 1997 season.

the unmanned thing I dont quite know where i was supposed to go with that.

Most of those sacks came from two guys that were playing DE as we stayed in a 4-3 alot of the time.

Ok so Jumbo Elliot was 32 at the time. All the more reason it makes it puzzling that parcells passed on OT's twice for a LB.

I just don't understand how people cannot see that the addition of Chris Long will not make our defense great.. We have more holes to fill on D no matter how he plays..

But for the offense, just by adding Jake Long to our line we improve at two positions. Carey goes to Right tackle and he is great there.. It would immediately give the dolphins the best line in the league when it comes to the younger lines in the league..

And guess what, we will be a much better offense.. We have young talented players on offense.. Just like Cleveland had their skill position players explode last year, when they added a tackle (and shuffled guys around where they play better in other positions to augment the new tackle) ------ we can have Ginn, L Booker, R Brown, Beck,( Wilford even)- these guys can just be alot better when the line gives the QB time , and big running lanes to run through. Plus we are assured that these young players on offense don't lose their confidence..

Going with reaches in later rounds for the tackle position has a good chance of not working out- and our young players on offense won't play well, leading to them losing confidence, which can then lead to hurting their development greatly. So the whole offense side of the ball is affected greatly.. From being very good, to being below average just by one pick in a very important position.. And not having a very good line supporting these young players just means that we wasted those picks on them since they would have less value (because they won't have the support to produce)

But by adding a great O-line, this helps the Defense as they will be on the field less... Our offense will have better, longer drives.. And they have the potential to be very good with the addition of J Long.. The defense though, does not realistically have the potential to be very good by just adding C Long..

:up:

I agree.

I personally don't care who they take.....my reasoning is very simple: Parcells and Ireland have proven to know a lot more about evaluating football talent than i do.

I just can't stand the arguments over the #1 pick that center on what the '08 Dolphins need, and don't take the next 10 yrs into consideration.

We will take the best football player for the future of the Miami Dolphins.

Agreed. Sprinkled throughout this draft are a handful of players who will be pro bowlers for the next six or seven years. We have to get as many of them as we can, and frankly I don't care what position they play. We can fill holes in FA and in future drafts. Right now we need a talent infusion, either because of age factors, injury concerns, or a lack of talent at the position.

So you keep saying its an excuse that Jake Long doesnt have Joe Thomas's foot quickness, could you provide a link where someone says that Jake Longs feet are at the elite level as people have said about Joe Thomas's? Scouting reports and film I have seen keep saying that there are questions about his feet and lateral agility. You can quote the combine all you want. Last I checked football wasnt played in shorts and t shirts. Its why the combine isnt the end all be all. Its why there is film. If you watch the film breakdowns mike mayock does, it shows why jakes long feet arent considered elite.

The dolphins can negotiate with whoever they want, last time i checked it doesnt make Jake Long the pick.

Joe Thomas got over his lack of arm length because of how quick his feet are. Jake Long overcame alot of college pass rushers because of his long arms and strength. Not his feet. At the nfl level, he wont be able to do it as easily.

You keep talking about Jake Longs strength, nastiness and all that. Sounds alot like Jon Runyan. Do I want Jon Runyan at number one overall? Nope.

I agree completely!

Jake Long = Jon Runyan, plain and simple. If you're happy with that at #1, then take him, but I'm not. I want Gholston.

Back
Top Bottom