Jake wont make us awesome... | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake wont make us awesome...

you chris long guys are IDIOTS
how many times has there been an insane OLB, taken wiht the number 1 pick. OLB's are a dime a dozen. Premere tackles arent. get off your man crush and start making moves that will help our team.

I love how you call people idiots without providing much substance to your argument about why chris long shouldnt be the pick. I guess its that much easier to throw insults out.

So since everyone that likes chris long, myself included, are such idiots please explain to us why Jake Long is considered a premiere LT when alot of people disagree with your statement about him being on the elite level rather than being a good LT.

There is no need for the name calling.

In the past 25 years, there has been as many OLBs drafted #1 overall as there has been OTs.

Well there were only 2 OT's drafted number one overall, Orlando Pace and Ron Yary. There four LB's taken number one: Aundray Bruce, Tommy Nobis, Tom Cousineau, and Chuck Bednarik.

The thing is, you have a much better chance of getting a good OLB in the 2nd rather than a good OL in the 2nd. There will be a big run on OT's in the 1st, because of the talent and how important a pos. it is. That's why J. Long in the 1st. and someone like Groves, Avril, Cambell, etc..in the 2nd, would be so much smarter for us now and in the future.

I don't understand how anyone could be satisfied with our OL in the last several years, it's been pathetic. Our QB's never have any time to grow and mature properly by having enough time to go through their correct reads and progressions.

Carey did an admiral job at LT, but I wouldn't be comfortable with him there long term. Having Long, putting Carey on the right, Satele and Smiley who are good at pulling which will help our running game tremendously. That would be a foundation that would help our team in ALL aspects for years to come.

We have JT for now, so let's look to next year to replace him, or like I said you can get could talent at that pos. later in the draft.

Well there were only 2 OT's drafted number one overall, Orlando Pace and Ron Yary. There four LB's taken number one: Aundray Bruce, Tommy Nobis, Tom Cousineau, and Chuck Bednarik.

Since 1998 only one OLB was taken in the top 5.. That is A.J Hawk and he was the 5th pick a couple of years ago.. So in the last 10 drafts, in the last decade, only one OLB was picked in the top 5, and he was a fifth pick as well (the last one)

The two years before 1998, Kevin Hardy and Peter Boulware were taken in the top 5 in 1996 and 1997..

So that's a total of 3 OLB's taken from 1996 to 2007 ( that's over the last 12 years/drafts).

Meanwhile, 8 offensive tackles have been taken in the top 5 since 1996... That's almost 3 times more Tackles taken compared to OLB's in the top 5 over the last dozen years......

Since 1998 only one OLB was taken in the top 5.. That is A.J Hawk and he was the 5th pick a couple of years ago.. So in the last 10 drafts, in the last decade, only one OLB was picked in the top 5, and he was a fifth pick as well (the last one)

The two years before 1998, Kevin Hardy and Peter Boulware were taken in the top 5 in 1996 and 1997..

So that's a total of 3 OLB's taken from 1996 to 2007 ( that's over the last 12 years/drafts).

Meanwhile, 8 offensive tackles have been taken inj the top 5 since 1996.

If you look at his post, it says number one overall. Not top 5. Please read the posts more closely.

If you look at his post, it says number one overall. Not top 5. Please read the posts more closely.

It doesn't matter.. I was showing a much larger significance to importance of position at the top of the draft over recent history.. It gives a much clearer, and a better determining factor, to consider..

You're post can be misleading people into thinking OLB's are selected higher than they really are on a regular basis. The bottomline is they're just not.

every situation is different, but the way ireland and parcells attack it seems to be the same. The jets had marvin jones, pepper johnson, and mo lewis at LB. James farrior was hardly a need for them then. The tackles were david williams and jumbo elliot. No where near the talent level the jets had at LB.

We have addressed the defense to a degree but no where near enough. They want this team made over in their image and its not even close yet.

like I said, they didn't have the talent at LB that the Dolphins currently have. Jumbo must have been doing something right, he started for another 3 years.

It doesn't matter.. I was showing a much larger significance to importance of position at the top of the draft over recent history.. It gives a much clearer, and a better determining factor, to consider..

You're post can be misleading people into thinking OLB's are selected higher than they really are on a regular basis. The bottomline is they're just not.

Please tell me where I said that in my post at all. Please bold it and show it to me. The bottom line, like I said before, was he asked very specifically how many LBs were taken number one overall. I told him. There was another post saying that OTs were taken the same amount of times as LBs. I showed him its not true. So please again show me where my post says LBs are taken higher than they really are. So again I say, read the posts more carefully.

To be honest, it had little to do with you.. It had more to do with the many people reading this site..

It can easily be misconstrued for people viewing to think that OLB's are taken high, when in fact they're not. It's been a very rare occurrence over the last decade.

like I said, they didn't have the talent at LB that the Dolphins currently have. Jumbo must have been doing something right, he started for another 3 years.

So Pepper Johnson, Marvin Jones, and Mo Lewis is not the same talent level we have now? Seriously? Marvin Jones was coming off a 103 tackle season, Mo Lewis had an injury plagued year in 96 but had 4 consecutive 100 tackle seasons before that.

Jumbo elliot did fine, but what about the guy that was supposed to start at LT, David Williams. Not exactly an earth shattering name.

Do you pay a RT number one type money? No, its not smart business. The only tackles that are worth that kind of money are franchise LT's and Jake Long is not in the the Pace, Jones, Ogden or Bosseli class at all. He isnt even in the Joe Thomas class of LT prospects.

You make the arguement that Jake Long helps the defense by keeping the offense off the field with the running game. Let me ask you this, when teams get the ball and keep scoring on our porous defense, how do we run the ball?

With all that being said, Parcells and Ireland believe in fixing defenses first, offenses second.

First of all, I didn't say he wouldn't eventually be our franchise left tackle. I said that even if he played right tackle for us in his rookie year while he adapted to the pro game, he would still start and have a massive impact on our offense this year whereas I don't think Chris Long or Vernon Gholston would have the same impact that Jake would. If he was drafted 1st overall and given that kind of money, then no doubt it would be done with the belief that he would start for us at that position either in his rookie year or probably the next year. In fact, he is a better prospect than Vernon Carey was coming out, and if he would've come out last year, it is a very realistic possibility that he would've been rated higher than Joe Thomas, I mean if you look at their numbers, film, and the awards, etc.

No one would be too terribly upset if we drafted Chris Long, but if the FO takes Jake, then it's because they believe he will be a great Franchise Left Tackle for us, and in a worst case barring injury, he will be a pro bowl Right Guard which makes him the lowest risk prospect in the draft.

To be honest, it had little to do with you.. It had more to do with the many people reading this site..

It can easily be misconstrued for people viewing to think that OLB's are taken high, when in fact they're not. It's been a very rare occurrence over the last decade.

Then why quote me? On top of it, no one said that OLBs are taken very highly each year so I dont know how people could get misleaded.

So Pepper Johnson, Marvin Jones, and Mo Lewis is not the same talent level we have now? Seriously? Marvin Jones was coming off a 103 tackle season, Mo Lewis had an injury plagued year in 96 but had 4 consecutive 100 tackle seasons before that.

Jumbo elliot did fine, but what about the guy that was supposed to start at LT, David Williams. Not exactly an earth shattering name.

so that's 1 and a half LB's... Crowder had almost 80 tackles last year, JP had almost 70 with 5.5 sacks, JT had 11 sacks. the 3 guys you mentioned TOTALED 1.5 sacks in 1996.

Back
Top Bottom