Jarvis Jones | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jarvis Jones

The difficult decision here with Jones is making an accurate assessment on his upside. A lot of kids simply max out in college. Hell, a lot of 'em max out in high school and wash out at the collegiate level. There's a strong possibility that Jones is already as good as he's ever going to be. The kid dominated college football.

I think at this point, you have to consider whether or not you'd prefer the upside with his teammate in Cornelius Washington. Despite the lack of sack numbers, the upside with him is as significant as any pass rusher in the draft. He's pressured the hell of quarterbacks the last 2 years despite not quite being able to finish. I thought he looked virtually unblockable at the Senior Bowl. His ability to convert speed to power on contact is unmatched for the most part. Freakish athlete that set the combine record for bench reps by a linebacker.... it shows in his bull rush.

Sack statistics can always be misleading. They're usually a culmination of several different factors coming together which the guy getting the sack may have contributed the least towards. However, pressure is the key. Pressure is what you want....it's what affects the quarterback. You don't have to sack him. Cornelius Washington gets pressure on the quarterback... and don't really even understand what he's doing yet.

I just think this is the type of kid who could explode at the next level with a tad more refinement. He's almost there now as a week's worth of practice at the Senior Bowl showed. Few compare in terms of physical tools, athleticism, and upside.
yeah I've liked him all season... he was just overlooked because of Jenkins, Geathers, Jarvis Jones, Olgeltree, Commings, Rambo, Williams, that's 7 teamates who will get drafted this year. 8 when you throw in Washington... that's got to be some kind of record right? I agree Jarvis Jones doesn't have the upside but I think his floor as a player is a minimum of 7-8 sacks a year. He makes plays. Can't have enough guys on your team who do make plays. I'll Jarvis at #12 and Washington #77

He is good at making plays but is definitely slow on film. Isn't a sideline to sideline player. He's slow! He's going to fall in the draft but he's going to be a good football player

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Oh and te'o definitely plays faster and reads plays faster. Watch any film and you will agree.. Jarvis just has a nose for the qb, diagnoses plays extremely fast

I'll pass. I don't remember once all year last year when Coyle used his linebackers to blitz. They were used mainly in coverage on passing downs and obviously used in the run game. I don't see Jones as a fit for what Coyle is doing on defense. If anything I see us taking a pass rush interior lineman over a pass rushing LB.

I'll pass. I don't remember once all year last year when Coyle used his linebackers to blitz. They were used mainly in coverage on passing downs and obviously used in the run game. I don't see Jones as a fit for what Coyle is doing on defense. If anything I see us taking a pass rush interior lineman over a pass rushing LB.

Maybe that's why Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnette have been replaced by Darnell Ellerbe and Phillip Wheeler. Both of whom are younger, faster and very good blitzers.

Maybe that's why Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnette have been replaced by Darnell Ellerbe and Phillip Wheeler. Both of whom are younger, faster and very good blitzers.
They're also better in coverage...but then if you already got good blitzers why would you draft another when you have bigger needs at CB, OL and Safety.

I saw Miami run the A Gap/ Sugar Blitz a ton last year, do you have a different definition of blitzing then I do.?

If his pro day was a hamstring problem th GA coaches willlet us know. I he ca run 4.8 or better then take him. Otherwise take someone else like Werner or a CB. We need those positions too.

I actually think we would be better off taking Alec Ogletree, the other UGA linebacker, and moving him outside. He is a great blitzer and former safety so he would give a ton a flexibility at the OLB spot.

What was he running on sand?

I agree with thosee who rank anticipation, inteeligence and motor, ahead of a 40 time esp. without equipment on

It was 35 degrees running into the wind. Non issue.

I like Jarvis jones. I'm just not sure he has a significant enough affect on our pass rush to justify taking at #12. Bigger need positions like CB and OL or upgrading the pass rush with a DE seems more logical to me.

Maybe I'm wrong about jones, but I watched the UF vs Georgia game and I just didn't see the same game changing ability that jumps out at you like you see when you watch Clowney from USC.

Maybe I'm wrong about jones, but I watched the UF vs Georgia game and I just didn't see the same game changing ability that jumps out at you like you see when you watch Clowney from USC.

If you didnt see the game changing ability vs Florida, then you wont see it ever. That was easily his best game. 13 tackles, 4.5 for loss, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries. He dominated that game. Id still take Ogletree over Jones though.

It would be a great day when we don't have to worry about needs and be able to draft the best player available, and that very well may be Jarvis Jones at the #12 pick. He is a great football player but with concerning health issues that may be overlooked, but if healthy he is a very valuable asset.

Back
Top Bottom