Jason Kidd asks Nets to Trade him | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Kidd asks Nets to Trade him

Outlaw's a nice player, Channing Frye's a nice big off the bench, and Jarrett Jack isn't a bad point guard, but if you can package those guys and get one of the best young point guards in the league, you do it 10 out of 10 times. Outlaw is a good player, but Martell Webster's a small forward, too, and he fits the team's long-term plans much better than Outlaw does anyway.

Long term, you've got Oden and Aldridge in the frontcourt, with Roy at the 2. Pairing Roy and Harris gives the Blazers a very athletic backcourt, with two guys who are very good at getting to the rim, and both are very good distributors. Oden and Aldridge are both good low post scorers with range out to 12 or 15 feet. All you need is a guy to stretch the defense with long range shooting, which happens to be Webster's long suit. Webster's still very young, and the more minutes he gets now, the better he'll be next year. And despite their good play, it's next year (and several years after) that's Portland's focus.

I think Portland makes out really well in this trade. And quite honestly, I'm not sure I'd do it if I were the Mavs. I don't think that Kidd is so much better than Harris at this point that it justifies this deal. Harris has a better PER this year, and defensively, Harris makes more sense for the Mavs than Kidd, since the Western Conference tends to feature quicker point guards than the East.
i think your underestimating outlaw, guy is def top 3 off the bench..while your looking at this trade for the future, i am thinking about this season..trading frye and outlaw, makes this team so weak inside. they already are one of the worst rebounding teams...lafrentz would be back up pf or c, and they would either have to pick up a big in this trade, or call up j-mac(josh mcroberts) from d-league, and he has been struggling there :lol:

i would rather trade jack, frye, this years first rounder, top 3 protected, and next years first no protection...i would rather trade webster than outlaw, i dotn want to see any of them leave though...

devin harris and broy=one of the best back courts in the NBA

Dude, Harris has a ton of upside, I agree 100 percent, but right now he isn't on Jason Kidd's level, even at 34. Jason Kidd will make any team better. Look what he's done for the Nets franchise since he's been there. Jason Kidd is a triple double just waiting to happen. I think this deal works for everyone except the Nets. I just don't understand what the Nets are getting out of the deal. Their not getting a star, their not getting a lottery pick (if Portland makes the playoffs), so I don't really understand what the Nets get except for cap relief. I like this deal for the Mavs though. They get Kidd, and you can take it to the bank that their not going home in the first round again, even if they have to re-match Golden State!
i was under the assumption that, dallas is trading there first, not portland. no?

Dude, Harris has a ton of upside, I agree 100 percent, but right now he isn't on Jason Kidd's level, even at 34. Jason Kidd will make any team better. Look what he's done for the Nets franchise since he's been there. Jason Kidd is a triple double just waiting to happen. I think this deal works for everyone except the Nets. I just don't understand what the Nets are getting out of the deal. Their not getting a star, their not getting a lottery pick (if Portland makes the playoffs), so I don't really understand what the Nets get except for cap relief. I like this deal for the Mavs though. They get Kidd, and you can take it to the bank that their not going home in the first round again, even if they have to re-match Golden State!

You need to read this. Here's a few highlights, though:

Devin Harris's PER: 18.64
Jason Kidd's PER: 16.06

When Harris is on the court, the Mavericks have outscored opponents by 217 points this season. When he is off the court, the Mavericks have been outscored by 11. Harris is, therefore, +228.
When Kidd is on the court, the Nets have been outscored by 154. When he is off the court the Nets have been outscored by 116. Kidd is, therefore, -38.

According to 82games, for every 100 possessions Devin Harris is on the floor, Dallas scores almost 12 points more than the same number of possesions without Harris.
With Kidd, that number is five.

Offensive efficiency of the team Harris runs: second in the league
Offensive efficiency of the team Kidd runs: 25th

Yes, I know, PER isn't everything. However, it's a pretty useful measuring tool. And if you add in the 10 year difference in age, and the nearly $16M difference in salary, it doesn't make sense for the Mavs to trade Harris for Kidd.

Remember that most of Kidd's edge over Harris is going to come in defensive rebounding...an area in which the Mavs are already doing just fine, thank you. For that, they'll give up the HUGE edge Harris has over Kidd as a scorer. That's a bigger deal than you think; if you swap Harris for Kidd, the Mavericks have just three good scorers: Nowitzki, Howard and Terry. Chances are, one of those three is going to be on the bench much of the time. That's going to leave the Mavs a lot worse at the offensive end, and quite prone to droughts if one of those three is in a slump (which, with Terry, is never all that far away, given that he's a pretty streaky shooter).

This is a classic case of looking at name over game. Kidd is still a fine point guard, but if he's better than Harris, he's damn sure not 10 years and $16 million better.

i think your underestimating outlaw, guy is def top 3 off the bench..while your looking at this trade for the future, i am thinking about this season..trading frye and outlaw, makes this team so weak inside. they already are one of the worst rebounding teams...lafrentz would be back up pf or c, and they would either have to pick up a big in this trade, or call up j-mac(josh mcroberts) from d-league, and he has been struggling there :lol:

i would rather trade jack, frye, this years first rounder, top 3 protected, and next years first no protection...i would rather trade webster than outlaw, i dotn want to see any of them leave though...

devin harris and broy=one of the best back courts in the NBA

Look, this season, the Blazers are playing with house money. Whatever they do is a major bonus. They're not going to win the title unless there's an unbelievably run of luck for them (and by "unbelievable run of luck", I mean "Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan and Steve Nash all getting in a serious car accident").

The focus HAS to be on next year and beyond. That depth problem in the middle? Fella named Greg Oden is going to repair that. Frye's a nice enough player, but there's no shortage of guys who can play the power spots and contribute, and it's not like they'll be short of cash. Outlaw's a 3, maybe a 4 if they go small, and long-term, he's not a great fit. Not as good as Webster, at least.

If they could get Harris without giving up Outlaw and Frye, I'm sure they'd love to do it, but there's no way it's happening. In fact, the whole thing should fall through if the Mavs come to their senses.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-29-131/Jason-Kidd-vs--Devin-Harris--in-Numbers.htmlThis is a classic case of looking at name over game. Kidd is still a fine point guard, but if he's better than Harris, he's damn sure not 10 years and $16 million better.

You can't even compare the games of the two players, let alone the numbers they produce. Harris isn't a true PG, hes a slasher in a PG's body. The Mavs have learned to play without having a point on the floor but just think what a player of Kidd's caliber could do with all the talent they've assembled in Dallas.

Currently Dallas sits at 21st in the NBA in assists per game. This on a team that averages 100+ points a game. Analyze those numbers.

You can't even compare the games of the two players, let alone the numbers they produce. Harris isn't a true PG, hes a slasher in a PG's body. The Mavs have learned to play without having a point on the floor but just think what a player of Kidd's caliber could do with all the talent they've assembled in Dallas.

Currently Dallas sits at 21st in the NBA in assists per game. This on a team that averages 100+ points a game. Analyze those numbers.

Assists aren't everything. Points are. And the Mavs are second in offensive efficiency with Harris, while NJ is 25th with Kidd. I suspect this is due in no small part to the fact that Kidd is a horrible shooter, while Harris is a very good one. Anyway, whether he's an according-to-Hoyle point guard or not, the offense is obviously running pretty darn well with him. It's not like there's a whole lot of room to get better. Kidd runs a mean fast break, you say? Great. Who's he going to run with in Dallas? That's a team that just does not get out and run. Hell, Harris is one of the fastest players in the NBA, and yet the team is still slow. So one of Kidd's primary assets, his ability to run a fast break, is going to be largely wasted in Dallas.

Did I mention that Harris is TEN YEARS YOUNGER? And $16 million cheaper this year and next? I'm going to keep beating this drum until someone actually addresses the point with something other than "oh, he's Jason Kidd, just look at those passes!"

I find it impossible to believe that Kidd is so much better that they can justify that kind of increase in cost, both in dollars and long-term success.

I dont like the Lakers but i can see them Trying to get Jason Kidd he would help out Kobe ALOT

Assists aren't everything. Points are. And the Mavs are second in offensive efficiency with Harris, while NJ is 25th with Kidd. I suspect this is due in no small part to the fact that Kidd is a horrible shooter, while Harris is a very good one. Anyway, whether he's an according-to-Hoyle point guard or not, the offense is obviously running pretty darn well with him. It's not like there's a whole lot of room to get better. Kidd runs a mean fast break, you say? Great. Who's he going to run with in Dallas? That's a team that just does not get out and run. Hell, Harris is one of the fastest players in the NBA, and yet the team is still slow. So one of Kidd's primary assets, his ability to run a fast break, is going to be largely wasted in Dallas.

Any team can run the fast break. All it takes is a point guard who can push the ball and some bigs who can make a proper outlet pass. The Mavs have plenty of finishers....just noone to guide them.

And yes the offense is producing, and continues to do so until the inevitable happens and they run into someone against whom they can't take advantage of individual matchups. The status quo is pretty high, but obviously not high enough.

Did I mention that Harris is TEN YEARS YOUNGER? And $16 million cheaper this year and next? I'm going to keep beating this drum until someone actually addresses the point with something other than "oh, he's Jason Kidd, just look at those passes!"

I find it impossible to believe that Kidd is so much better that they can justify that kind of increase in cost, both in dollars and long-term success.

The same argument applies to Gasol in LA, and Shaq when he came to Miami. If you win a title it justifies the cost, otherwise its a mistake. Salary is meaningless in the NBA, and the difference will do nothing other than make Cuban a little poorer.

As for the age difference....who cares? Would Miami be better now if they had kept Caron and Lamar and the draft pick? Of course. But fans and owners want championships, not perpetual playoff contenders.

Look, this season, the Blazers are playing with house money. Whatever they do is a major bonus. They're not going to win the title unless there's an unbelievably run of luck for them (and by "unbelievable run of luck", I mean "Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan and Steve Nash all getting in a serious car accident").

The focus HAS to be on next year and beyond. That depth problem in the middle? Fella named Greg Oden is going to repair that. Frye's a nice enough player, but there's no shortage of guys who can play the power spots and contribute, and it's not like they'll be short of cash. Outlaw's a 3, maybe a 4 if they go small, and long-term, he's not a great fit. Not as good as Webster, at least.

If they could get Harris without giving up Outlaw and Frye, I'm sure they'd love to do it, but there's no way it's happening. In fact, the whole thing should fall through if the Mavs come to their senses.
did you hear the new deal?

blazers give jack frye rodriguez webster and a first rounder and they get back devin harris, brandon bass, and nick fazekas

i would much rather do this trade, i think that maybe blazers could even keep there first rounder...the main problem with the bigs will be solved bass is a energy banger type guy, which portland needs badly...fazekas would be an okay backup..i'd much rather keep outlaw than webster...unless webster starts to improve a lot i dont see him in the blazers future, he is on a contract year and going to want a lot more money then he is going to get...rodriguez i loved last year, this year he has been to inconsitent, i used to put him almost untradeable but the blazers need to get rid of him before all his value is gone.

Mark Cuban to offer Kidd 20mill/yr extension

New York Post -
Peter Vecsey of the New York Post has reported that Mavericks' owner Mark Cuban would be willing to give Jason Kidd the one-year, $20 million extension that the Nets would not give the point guard.

The extension would be for the 2009-10 season, according to a source close to agent Jeff Schwartz

Any team can run the fast break. All it takes is a point guard who can push the ball and some bigs who can make a proper outlet pass. The Mavs have plenty of finishers....just noone to guide them.

And yes the offense is producing, and continues to do so until the inevitable happens and they run into someone against whom they can't take advantage of individual matchups. The status quo is pretty high, but obviously not high enough.

Doesn't Dallas run into the same problem when they face a team that can control Nowitzki, and Jason Terry goes cold? Harris' ability to score ensures that Dallas pretty much always has three legit scoring options on the floor at all times. Without Harris, and with Kidd, if Nowitzki isn't lighting it up, they've got to rely heavily on Terry and Howard. If Terry is cold, they're screwed. Kidd's passing will obviously create a few more opportunities, but as I've said, the tradeoff for his lousy shooting is going to negate most, if not all, that.

The same argument applies to Gasol in LA, and Shaq when he came to Miami. If you win a title it justifies the cost, otherwise its a mistake. Salary is meaningless in the NBA, and the difference will do nothing other than make Cuban a little poorer.

As for the age difference....who cares? Would Miami be better now if they had kept Caron and Lamar and the draft pick? Of course. But fans and owners want championships, not perpetual playoff contenders.

Salary is meaningless in the short term, perhaps. But in the long term, you need reasonably-priced players to contribute. The salary cap and luxury tax prevents you from simply stockpiling high priced talent ad infinitum.

As for the age difference, you might be right if we were talking about a prospect who wasn't doing anything for the team, i.e. the recently dealt Javaris Crittenton. But my point is that Harris gives the Mavs similar (maybe better) production than Kidd, and can do so for many more years. A slight bump in offensive production from going from Harris to Kidd is not going to outweigh the fact that they could have Harris doing that for the next decade, and at a reasonable cost, to boot, thus allowing them to use their resources elsewhere.

Anyway, you've obviously got your POV on this, and that's fine. Agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom