Jeff Ireland good at drafting but sucks when it comes to free agents...why? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeff Ireland good at drafting but sucks when it comes to free agents...why?

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
Gotto admit the guy has drastically improved his drafting (shall I say) prowess by this past draft alone, he i also very good at trades but just can't seem to get the right player especially wide recievers through free agency.

i think one of the reasons is he always wait until its too late to sign a player. Wait and see approach always gurantee one thing and that is scrubs. You either get scrubs or overpays for good talent thats left. Hopefully he strike it rich in FA next year and we could all put that to rest.

Our starting FA's are Wake, Starks, Soliai (?), Dansby, Burnett, and Marshall on D. Lane, Cog, and Bess on O, with Moore, Gaffney, McD, and Trusnick contributing. I just list what we now have, and don't know where we would be without them. I put a ? on Soliai as he was re-signed, don't recall if he made it to FA or was signed before he got there.

I believe that we have done better than most other NFL teams in FA but, have not done any research to compare.

Good thing the Dolphins are adapting Philbin's Green Bay philosophy of not using free agency and building through the draft.

Good thing the Dolphins are adapting Philbin's Green Bay philosophy of not using free agency and building through the draft.

I don't think we can say that, at least not yet. IF Peyton wanted to come here, he would be a Dolphin, regardless of what Philbin wanted to do. Ireland still has final say, and next year will tell us a lot more on how we address FA. We will have a TON of money, and HAVE TO spend most of it.

I don't think we can say that, at least not yet. IF Peyton wanted to come here, he would be a Dolphin, regardless of what Philbin wanted to do. Ireland still has final say, and next year will tell us a lot more on how we address FA. We will have a TON of money, and HAVE TO spend most of it.
Peyton Manning is the obvious exception. All the actions after that Manning derby and comments from Ireland and Philbin point to drafting players and developing them then being big players in the free agency market. Don't be surprised when most of that $50 million cap space goes to retaining players and not a lot of big name free agents from other teams. They might add some low level depth type players in free agency, and maybe they make a run at one big name guy, but the team will be built through the draft.

Someone post Ireland's drafts since Parcell's gave him full control.

Peyton Manning is the obvious exception. All the actions after that Manning derby and comments from Ireland and Philbin point to drafting players and developing them then being big players in the free agency market. Don't be surprised when most of that $50 million cap space goes to retaining players and not a lot of big name free agents from other teams. They might add some low level depth type players in free agency, and maybe they make a run at one big name guy, but the team will be built through the draft.

Agree that this is the way it appears, and I'm all for it. I'm thinking we go after one BIG addition, with WR looking to be the best option with who is supposed to be available, and a mid range guy on the OL. JMO

Imagine, if you will, how this team would have looked with Peyton, for better or worse.

You will need to have a combination of both to be sucessfull when building a team.

You will need to have a combination of both to be sucessfull when building a team.

I think they are both pretty close to the same in a success rate of about 50%. The difference now is that the draft cost a hell of a lot less when you are wrong. FWIW, I think we have done pretty well and, over the last 4 years, would have done better if not for the injuries.

The trades have been great, in getting Fasano, Bush, and even McD for next to nothing.

If you want to build through FA, the results can be seen by watching the Eagles. It will be Andy Reid's downfall. That defense is pathetic and was bought and paid for, through FA.

You have to be able to draft and develop. Something that Philbin seems to understand and embrace.

IF ya wanna pick on the Phins FA signing, Ya gotta give some facts on who was and was not signed. Saying the Ireland did bad says nothing.

When it comes to drafting, I doubt we'll ever really know how much was him and how much it wasn't. As far as free agency, he did horrible this year.I don't have the numbers but I believe we got about 9 guys and we have 1 or 2 of those guys left on the team. As far as the draft, we'll have to wait and see how the 2011 class turns out. I like Tannehill a lot which was a no brainer. Veron, Miller and Martin have shown some potential. If they all develop into starters it'd could be a great draft. The key tho could be if Egnew ever develops into a top TE or at least contributes, specially in the red zone.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom