Jets probably won't take Leinart | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jets probably won't take Leinart

Schleprock

Mad and Surt...Legendary
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjchalk224561822dec22,0,7641340.column?coll=ny-sports-headlines

So, if Young enters the draft and Cutler has a solid Senior Bowl and combine as Kiper et al. are believing he will....does Leinart become another Aaron Rodgers? Not necessarily dropping so far, but out of the top 5-10? I think yes, that could be a possibility. Which in turn would leave him in our area to pick.

P.S. Should they tak ehim, remember, that's $35-40 million guaranteed they have to give to another QB.

Even if the Jets don't pick Leinart, he likely won't fall out of the top-5. A team would trade up for him. It's already been said that he'll have a higher grade coming out than Palmer or Eli. If the Jets are at #2, and really don't want Leinart, they'll work a trade.

Leinart will not make it past the Titans. If he is there when they pick then he is there QB for the future.

your missing the key point guys...I said IF YOUNG DECLARES and CUTLER SHOWS PROMISE. Should this happen, I don't think Leinart is going to be Mr. Jock Rider anymore. Call me crazy, but it's a no brainer Leinart already cost himself millions upon millions by staying another year at school.

If Young does not declare then I think Leinart is OK, but if Young beats Leinart in the NC and declares, I think Matty Boy is in trouble. Especially if he just plays Ehhhhh in the game like he has his last couple big games.

I also doubt the Jets will take Lienart, but I doubt he falls too us also.

Leinart will be the first QB taken regardless of Young comes out or Cutler has a good Senior Bowl.

I agree that Tennessee will be the first team to take him if he falls there.

Ravens won't let him slide by! Doubt the Lions would either!

Jnaledu3 said:
Leinart will be the first QB taken regardless of Young comes out or Cutler has a good Senior Bowl.

agreed

um, no, that won't happen. rodgers fell because he had too many questions on him. leinart doesn't really (nothing major anyway) and was the lock for #1 overall last year. he's done nothing to hurt his stock, if anything he improved it. he'll still be the first QB taken, or GMs will lose their jobs when they draft vince young or whatever other oevrhyped trash is sitting around

yeah ive never thought the jets would take him... but i doubt he drops too much further...

If Culter really improves his stock, we won't be able to draft him, Leinart or Young unless we move up. All three may end up as top ten picks. Remember in 98 when Couch, McNabb, and A. Smith went 1-3 overall? They probably won't go in that order, but they'll be top 10 picks.

There are 3 teams picking ahead of us that really need a QB, and several that may want a QB. Arizona, Oakland, and New Orleans all look like they want a new QB. Titans, Browns, Ravens and Texans may go QB or they may stick with what they have. I dont think the rest of the teams ahead of us (Jets, Buffalo, Philly, San Fran, and St. Louis) will look to draft a QB.

Jnaledu3 said:

Exactly. Leinart would have to suffer a serious injury to drop significantly, probably an arm or shoulder injury. Otherwise no chance a developmental wingding like Cutler or a jackrabbit like Young is going ahead of him, or anything close to that. At QB only a Brady Quinn could potentially go ahead of Leinart.

The comparisons to Aaron Rodgers don't wash. Leinart respects Texas and will still up in this game just like vs. Oklahoma last year. His passes will have more zip than typical. Against lesser foes he does have somewhat of a tendency to float some passes.

Rodgers threw 5 yard passes at Cal last year. I mentioned that almost immediately upon joining this forum. I attended the USC/Cal game in the Coliseum in 2004 and sorority girls sitting a few seats away from my group were literally laughing at Rodgers' reluctance to throw the ball downfield, even though you could see receivers breaking open downfield. For some reason the TV coverage and announcers didn't mention that aspect. I was stunned when I got back to Las Vegas and watched the tape of the game. They made Rodgers out to be God when at the game he looked tentative and flawed. Finally it took Merrill Hoge on ESPN to correctly critique Rodgers' performance in the USC game, and in 2004 in general throwing all the wimpy short passes, a few days before the draft.

Back
Top Bottom