John Clayton: Don't rule out Dolphins as a destination for Revis | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

John Clayton: Don't rule out Dolphins as a destination for Revis

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
I woke up this morning to rumors of the Dolphins being in the market for CB Darrelle Revis, so I did a little digging to see if there was any truth to these rumors. Well, it appears the rumors were started by ESPN's John Clayton. You see Clayton was on SportsCenter this AM and said he wouldn't rule out the Dolphins when it came to CB Darrelle Revis.

The rumor is hard to believe just like when Rapoport reported the Dolphins where one of the team in the hunt for Suh, but there are a lot of facts that support this rumor. The Dolphins last year inquired about Darrelle Revis, Tannenbaum drafted Revis and Hickey was part of a Buccaneers organization who traded for Revis. The rumor seems farfetched but I wouldn't rule out anything after the Dolphins signed Suh.

Schefter was on Mike & Mike this morning as well and said he believe Revis was going after what would be perhaps his last big contract, he also mentioned he believes he either end up with the Jets or the Pats. John Clayton on the other hand believes once Revis hits the market it will have an effect similar to the one Suh had, teams who were not expected in the market for Revis will inquire. Patriots have yet to release Revis.

Now my question to you guys is would you prefer Mike Wallace & Clay or Suh & Revis?

Last edited by a moderator:
I woke up this morning to rumors of the Dolphins being in the market for CB Darrelle Revis, so I did a little digging to see if there was any truth to these rumors. Well, it appears the rumors were started by ESPN's John Clayton. You see Clayton was on SportsCenter this AM and said he would rule out the Dolphins when it came to CB Darrelle Revis.

The rumor is hard to believe just like when Rapoport reported the Dolphins where one of the team in the hunt for Suh, but there are a lot of facts that support this rumor. The Dolphins last year inquired about Darrelle Revis, Tannenbaum drafted Revis and Hickey was part of a Buccaneers organization who traded for Revis. The rumor seems farfetched but I wouldn't rule out anything after the Dolphins signed Suh.

Schefter was on Mike & Mike this morning as well and said he believe Revis was going after what would be perhaps his last big contract, he also mentioned he believes he either end up with the Jets or the Pats. John Clayton on the other hand believes once Revis hits the market it will have an effect similar to the one Suh had, teams who were not expected in the market for Revis will inquire. Patriots have yet to release Revis.

Now my question to you guys is would you prefer Mike Wallace & Clay or Suh & Revis?

I'm assuming you meant "wouldn't," but the Freudian slip is probably a more accurate assessment of the situation.

Wouldn't we need to clear a ton more of cap space before this becomes a possibility? I mean we're just stretching it with Suh. You'd be crazy not to want Revis opposite of Grimes, but I don't see how it's possible financially.

Get involved and drive the market up on the Pats.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

The other AFC East teams never **** with the Pats like they do the other teams.

Didn't Tannenbaum trade Revis and weren't they (Tannenbaum and the Jets) pretty cold to Revis once they'd decided to start shopping him? I seem to recall he had some pretty hard feelings there.

Wouldn't we need to clear a ton more of cap space before this becomes a possibility? I mean we're just stretching it with Suh. You'd be crazy not to want Revis opposite of Grimes, but I don't see how it's possible financially.

Not really. Suh could have a cap hit around 6 million this year and we could do a similar contract for Revis.

I've had us signing him in the back of my mind since Saturday, assuming he's open to Miami.

Didn't Tannenbaum trade Revis and weren't they (Tannenbaum and the Jets) pretty cold to Revis once they'd decided to start shopping him? I seem to recall he had some pretty hard feelings there.

No, Idzik was the one who traded Revis.

Tnebaum had a tough relationship w/ Revis' agents b/c Revis and his agents are hard to deal with. I don't think they couldn't work together again but I'd be SHOCKED if Revis ended up in Miami. Suh is great, revis is great but how can one team have $100+ mil in guaranteed money tied up w/ 2 non QBs? I am not sure that would be a wise move as great as Revis is. I think it's a 2 horse race btw us and NE, if we blow him away he comes home and if not he stays in NE.

Tnebaum had a tough relationship w/ Revis' agents b/c Revis and his agents are hard to deal with. I don't think they couldn't work together again but I'd be SHOCKED if Revis ended up in Miami. Suh is great, revis is great but how can one team have $100+ mil in guaranteed money tied up w/ 2 non QBs? I am not sure that would be a wise move as great as Revis is. I think it's a 2 horse race btw us and NE, if we blow him away he comes home and if not he stays in NE.

The Jets have a ton of cap space, correct?

Thanks for the update on who traded him. In that case I would think he's got an even better shot at coming to Miami. We can make a 3 year run salary cap be damned if we can get a ring out of it. Not saying that's the best strategy but I could see Ross going for that.

The Jets have a ton of cap space, correct?

yes. we had 3rd most a week ago, I think we dropped to 5th after Marshall trade and Harris' new deal but we have a ton and we have to spend a certain amount base don new CBA rules so we will be very active.

Thanks for the update on who traded him. In that case I would think he's got an even better shot at coming to Miami. We can make a 3 year run salary cap be damned if we can get a ring out of it. Not saying that's the best strategy but I could see Ross going for that.

I will be stunned if you guys are even in the running BUT Mike Tannenbaum is a man that can pull off a deal so I guess I should never say never with him but I still think I will be stunned if you add Revis as well.

Back
Top Bottom