John Clayton on the Wildcat | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

John Clayton on the Wildcat

Old article, but we'll see what happens:

*** ESPN's John Clayton speculates that the Rams, Seahawks, 49ers and Patriots could be interested in Michael Vick.
Here's Clayton's take on the Pats:
"This is an example of a great organization with a head coach (Bill Belichick) who is strong enough to take a gamble on talent. If Belichick is interested, he'd first have to convince his owner, Robert Kraft. That might be tough. Kraft cares about the public image of his franchise. It's also not known if Kraft could accept Vick's transgressions. But let's look at it from the football side. The Dolphins are light years ahead of the rest of the league in running the Wildcat offense. They drafted Pat White in the second round to carry the Wildcat to new levels. Because the Patriots must prepare for the Wildcat, why not bring in Vick, the ultimate Wildcat weapon? The Patriots haven't reached outside to replace Matt Cassel. If Kraft accepts him, Vick could be an interesting possibility for a few plays per game in New England.''

http://sportsblog.projo.com/2009/05/report-no-restr.html

Because the Patriots must prepare for the Wildcat, why not bring in Vick, the ultimate Wildcat weapon? The Patriots haven't reached outside to replace Matt Cassel. If Kraft accepts him, Vick could be an interesting possibility for a few plays per game in New England.''

http://sportsblog.projo.com/2009/05/report-no-restr.html

Kevin O'Connell may not be in Pat White territory, but he ran a lot as a QB (35% of all offensive snaps) at SD State, mostly running for his life, but still did it well enough to get 11 rush td's.

White rushed 41% of the time and tallied 8 rush td's in 2008, on mostly designed plays, while O'Connells were mostly just scrambling away from the pass rush.

Baltimore stopped us cause they did what they wanted to do which was stop the run...they said f it....if we stop the run theyll have to try and throw in their only passing play...we can live with that..the wildcat last year was very predictable...this year. not so much...atleast i hope not

Actually the worst part of that was the fact that they did not have to change their gameplan for Pennington or the 'Cat... They could essentially play both the same and challenge Pennington to beat them deep in the standard sets too...

White however does dramatically change this from a 'matchup' point of view.

One of the most underrated aspects of the 'Cat was its ability to create dramatic mismatches without changing personnel. The REAL challenge is going to be trying to involve White in the base offense to regain this advantage... Without that, the defense can alter their packages and personnel just by keeping eyes on White... I DO NOT think this will involve White at WR... I think he will definitely get some base reps. JMO.

Actually the worst part of that was the fact that they did not have to change their gameplan for Pennington or the 'Cat... They could essentially play both the same and challenge Pennington to beat them deep in the standard sets too...

White however does dramatically change this from a 'matchup' point of view.

One of the most underrated aspects of the 'Cat was its ability to create dramatic mismatches without changing personnel. The REAL challenge is going to be trying to involve White in the base offense to regain this advantage... Without that, the defense can alter their packages and personnel just by keeping eyes on White... I DO NOT think this will involve White at WR... I think he will definitely get some base reps. JMO.

With White in they can do just about anything- Wildcat, base offense, option. I'm looking forward to seeing some option pitches to RW.

Look at the video in the Wildcat thread by Lord of Miami- I think that it's Marshall Faulk gushing over how the Wildcat can dictate defesive coverages and how important that is.

With White in they can do just about anything- Wildcat, base offense, option. I'm looking forward to seeing some option pitches to RW.

Look at the video in the Wildcat thread by Lord of Miami- I think that it's Marshall Faulk gushing over how the Wildcat can dictate defesive coverages and how important that is.

Absolutely... last year the 'Cat had such dramatic results in the early stages because defenses could not react to it... They did not know it was coming until Miami broke the huddle and Pennington walked out wide... By then it was too late to adjust their personnel. This is until they figured out that defending the 'Cat was essentially the same as defending Pennington. Crush the run... Dare the deep ball.

Now factor White into the equation and it is a completely different set of problems. Which is why the White selection is a master stroke... Just by virtue of us drafting him, it has ensured the lights are on in opposing DC's offices late into the night! The 'threat' of White is a powerful mind game.

But at some point they are going to have to figure out how to disguise the 'Cat with White running it... Otherwise teams will eyeball White and when he comes in they will simply march in their matching package.

Absolutely... last year the 'Cat had such dramatic results in the early stages because defenses could not react to it... They did not know it was coming until Miami broke the huddle and Pennington walked out wide... By then it was too late to adjust their personnel. This is until they figured out that defending the 'Cat was essentially the same as defending Pennington. Crush the run... Dare the deep ball.

Now factor White into the equation and it is a completely different set of problems. Which is why the White selection is a master stroke... Just by virtue of us drafting him, it has ensured the lights are on in opposing DC's offices late into the night! The 'threat' of White is a powerful mind game.

But at some point they are going to have to figure out how to disguise the 'Cat with White running it... Otherwise teams will eyeball White and when he comes in they will simply march in their matching package.

White could enter the game with or without Pennington at WR or QB, maybe occasionally at RB, too. It should be a nightmare preparing for our offense this year. Mismatch heaven.

Even if White walks into the game and the D has time to change personell....what are they going to change to?? More Lbers? More CB's? PLay the run? Cover the pass???

It is going to take one of two things, either the cat will have to fail miserably or someone is going to figure out how to defend it. Until then, I don't think switching up personell will make a big deifference.

White could enter the game with or without Pennington at WR or QB, maybe occasionally at RB, too. It should be a nightmare preparing for our offense this year. Mismatch heaven.

You better believe it! :thumbup:

If I was an opposing team's DC... I would absolutely HATE to see White walking in on a 3rd and short situation or in the red zone... Too many possibilites... Gotta love it.

Personally I thought the Wildcat too predictable as the season wore on. Seems like it was either fake handoff for short gain, or hand off to Ricky for short gain too often. Now that we have Pat White, perhaps we'll see some more intersting play calling. Although if PW doesn't start hitting receivers in practice he may never get the opportunity, then the games count.

That being said, the Ravens proved that the Wildcat, like any offense can be defensed. I look forward to some more imagination that just the formation.

Even if White walks into the game and the D has time to change personell....what are they going to change to?? More Lbers? More CB's? PLay the run? Cover the pass???

It is going to take one of two things, either the cat will have to fail miserably or someone is going to figure out how to defend it. Until then, I don't think switching up personell will make a big deifference.

Actually I think the personnel mismatch IS key. The difference between White and Pennington is CONSIDERABLE in both a base set or the 'Cat... The defense will always want the 'right guys' to defend it... It is not a question of MORE LB's or CB's but a question of the RIGHT LB's or CB's... Guys who are run first or specialize in coverage...

It happens all the time... When a team is having trouble moving the chains... They change QB's at half time and suddenly begin to torch the 'D' because the new guy has a different style... Defenses most often have real trouble if they try to play the same way with the same personnel against a different guy.

With White you cannot ignore the passing threat... So 'run first' guys give us an advantage. You cannot play White and Pennington the same way with the same guys. You just can't. It would seem a natural fit IMO to use White in traditional 'run' situations to open up the passing threat and force Defenses to adjust.

As I said earlier I would be using White on 3rd and shorts and in the red zone... I would mix the 'Cat with base sets in these situations... I think it would be a complete nightmare for DC's.

The one thing with the wildcat that PW brings is at least the threat to throw it. Defenses wont be able to just bring everyone and their mother on a blitz. Personally, I could see the wildcat with PW and Pennington on the field. If white is in the backfield and Penny is out wide, or the other way around, white on a reverse....blitzing will be a huge gamble.

What if Pat White was just like one huge misdirection play and after all this planning and obsession about the Wildcat, Miami just went total west coast offense or something like that on defenses.

I'll take it one step further... What if Pat White was DELIBERATELY throwing erratically so that the reports out of camp said he was struggling... :sidelol:

Back
Top Bottom