Jonathan Martin has come a long way since pre-season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jonathan Martin has come a long way since pre-season

Well I guess this is as good a time as any to admit I was 100% wrong about Martin. I watched him ALOT in college and swore up and down that he would be at least a year on the bench. MAN was I wrong. He has played REALLY well, and now with the solid play Jerry, teams have no idea where we are going to run. Last year we always ran left behind Rich and Jake, but this year we can run to either side and we don't have to worry about Columbo diving out of the way to give the DE a free run at the QB. Our OL is playing as good as any OL in the NFL right now. They are turning into a strength of the team. Cudos!!!

Yeah! lets get rid of Jake Long and hope Martin can be a great RT and create more holes!(sarcasm).

Well I guess this is as good a time as any to admit I was 100% wrong about Martin. I watched him ALOT in college and swore up and down that he would be at least a year on the bench. MAN was I wrong. He has played REALLY well, and now with the solid play Jerry, teams have no idea where we are going to run. Last year we always ran left behind Rich and Jake, but this year we can run to either side and we don't have to worry about Columbo diving out of the way to give the DE a free run at the QB. Our OL is playing as good as any OL in the NFL right now. They are turning into a strength of the team. Cudos!!!

Actually our rush numbers are quite interesting
Right End......3.28 yards per rush #21/32 in the NFL
Right Tackle..3.15 ypr #25
GCG MIDDLE..4.52 ypr #7
Left Tackle...4.28 ypr #11
Left End.......4.19 ypr #15

Martin still has the bulk up and get stronger if he continues at right tackle...3.15 isn't going to cut it
but it is a huge improvement over Colombo who was 31st with 2.62 yards per rush

In 2010 we were 15th(4.14 ypr) and 7th(4.61 ypr) running behind right tackle and right end

How about Jim Turner just being a BAMF and coaching these guys like they should have been. It's remarkable to me how much better this oline is under his coaching

The fact that everyone is not talking about him is great news, he's doing his job right, right now. No more "false start #71 offense" or "Holding #71 offense" calls, like there were in pre season.

I think we got first round talent in the 2nd round here, great value pick.

Martin gives us options in the Long contract negotiations. We can draft a decent right tackle in round #3 and save a lot of money in the process.

Move Martin to LT next season and let Long walk if Long wants too much money.

Then the strenght of this team will become the weakest link... Jake long as we learned from R. Bush as a high football IQ as well besides being a beast..

Martin has certainly improved. Can't wait to see what another off season and another training camp under his belt could do in terms of taking another step forward in his improvement. He's becoming more and more acclimated to the NFL game and is smart enough to make more adjustments as the season goes on. I like how he approaches the game.

Remember how many people on this very site wanted to fire the entire FO based on his performance in preseason? Debbies, every last one of them!

Martin is supposed to fit the mold on the kind of OL the Dolphins want based on the kind of plays we wanna run. We may run left but with him pulling in that direction so that 'yards right or yards left' thing could be a deceiving stat. I don't think any OL wins regularly on straight man-on-man blocking that often, which is why athleticism is so important for motion-runs.

Love it. I knew this guy was going to be solid. Said it when we drafted him, huge steal. This guy was first round talent. He will secure a spot on our line for years to come. Funniest part is how quite all the Martin basher got...and real fast.

Back
Top Bottom