Karlos Dansby will not be franchized per Adam Schefter | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Karlos Dansby will not be franchized per Adam Schefter

i do have a question though...we pretty much all agree that rolando mcclain is a karlos dansby with more upside...and we pretty much all know that parcells is a big fan of karlos dansby...

so why wouldn't parcells take a karlos dansby with more upside at pick #12???

it makes sense to me...

would rather mcclain be a backup at first...

The thing is....the word "freak" is used all the time....I hear it used in reference to a dozen prospects every year....and about 1% of them ever amount to anything...

Athletic hype is often blown out of proportion, especially as far as it translates on the football field.....football acumen is hardly ever overhyped...and rarely fails to translate onto the field...

I agree. Except it was still a fine piece of wordsmithery. Hence, it goes in the signature.

The only part I do not agree with, is the last bits about football accumen hardly ever being overhyped.

IMO, "he's just a football player" is easily as cliche and overused as the "freak" talk. I find it becomes a catch-all for any underdog who you know does not have NFL tangibles. People that talk about how arm strength isn't important, a 40 yard dash has nothing to do with football, etc.

You hear that talk ALL the time, and I say to you, that of the people that get talked highly in this regard and defended as just football players despite not having valid physical tangibles...less than 1% ever amount to anything.

i do have a question though...we pretty much all agree that rolando mcclain is a karlos dansby with more upside...and we pretty much all know that parcells is a big fan of karlos dansby...

so why wouldn't parcells take a karlos dansby with more upside at pick #12???

it makes sense to me...

LOL...don't know that we ALL agree on that.

I think he's a Karlos Dansby with LESS upside. Or maybe the phrase should be that he could easily end up a poor man's Dansby.

I think that Dansby moves better, is more physical, and blitzes better. We shall see.

Parcells was indeed a fan of Dansby.

Too bad Parcells doesn't run Miami's drafts anymore...

I think he's a Karlos Dansby with LESS upside. Or maybe the phrase should be a poor man's Dansby.

I think that Dansby moves better, is more physical, and blitzes better. We shall see.

hmmm...ok...i thought we all said that he had a lot of upside...he does to me...

yeah...that's a good point about parcells not running the drafts anymore despite everyone saying/thinking he does...

I agree. Except it was still a fine piece of wordsmithery. Hence, it goes in the signature.

The only part I do not agree with, is the last bits about football accumen hardly ever being overhyped.

IMO, "he's just a football player" is easily as cliche and overused as the "freak" talk. I find it becomes a catch-all for any underdog who you know does not have NFL tangibles. People that talk about how arm strength isn't important, a 40 yard dash has nothing to do with football, etc.

You hear that talk ALL the time, and I say to you, that of the people that get talked highly in this regard and defended as just football players despite not having valid physical tangibles...less than 1% ever amount to anything.

The difference with McClain is that he's both football player and he has NFL tangibles....good grief...

The word "freak" is used to describe Jason Pierre-Paul....not much in the way of a football player there though if you ask me....could be...but not right now...

Taylor Mays = FREAK....where's that gonna get him? A position change...that's what...

Vernon Gholston .....FREAK...

I could go on and on and on....

Hell...they even attach it to offensive lineman now....Bruce Campbell is considered a "freak"....

As far as quarterbacks and arm strength....I believe there is a threshold that you have to meet as far as arm strength...thats it....if you can just cross that threshold....then the only thing that matters is intangibles and mechanics.....

Excess arm strength cant make up for lack of the other two....

Jamarcus Russell....FREAK....

I think he's a Karlos Dansby with LESS upside. Or maybe the phrase should be that he could easily end up a poor man's Dansby.

I definitely dont agree with that.....Dansby probably had more upside coming out of high school....Hell Dansby came to Auburn as a safety and started playing linebacker as he grew into it...

McClain was the #1 linebacker recruit in the state and fringe 5 star (4 star by Rivals) 240 pound linebacker....who also played tight end...

He's 6-4, 250 pounds with 9% body fat....he's been clocking 4.6 40's all summer....if that's not NFL tangibles then 99% of the linebackers in the NFL are horribly misplaced...

You know who else were FREAKS? Guys like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Patrick Willis, Adrian Peterson, Tommie Harris, Haloti Ngata, Chris Johnson, Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow, Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, Mario Williams, Champ Bailey, Nnamdi Asomugha, LaRon Landry, Sean Taylor, etc.

You think I couldn't go on for an hour naming players that people have attempted to defend at one point or another as just a "football player"?

Matt Roth was just a football player. Bill Swancutt was just a football player. Rocky Calmus was a football player. Rashaun Woods was a football player. Graham Harrell was a football player. Cedric Cobbs was a football player.

It's all bull ****. No matter how much people TRY and paint it like there's some magic formula for finding great NFL prospects, there damn well isn't. It's all individual player evaluation. All of it. So and so might be a FREAK, and end up a good NFL player. So and so might be a football player with terrible tangibles and end up a good NFL player too. These are humans, not playing cards. Humans are the most complicated phenomenon on the planet. They can't be summarized and amalgamated, themed and strategized. At least not accurately.

I definitely dont agree with that.....Dansby probably had more upside coming out of high school....Hell Dansby came to Auburn as a safety and started playing linebacker as he grew into it...

McClain was the #1 linebacker recruit in the state and fringe 5 star (4 star by Rivals) 240 pound linebacker....who also played tight end...

He's 6-4, 250 pounds with 9% body fat....he's been clocking 4.6 40's all summer....if that's not NFL tangibles then 99% of the linebackers in the NFL are horribly misplaced...

I didn't say he doesn't have NFL tangibles. I said that he doesn't move as well as Dansby, isn't as physical and is no more than an interference blitzer.

Gotta ask Ck because I really have been high on Ireland what is your opinion and or what are you seeing when you said? "Too bad Parcells doesn't run Miami's drafts anymore"
I will go ahead and say Thanks for your input by the way on this matter.

You know who else were FREAKS? Guys like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Patrick Willis, Adrian Peterson, Tommie Harris, Haloti Ngata, Chris Johnson, Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow, Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, Mario Williams, Champ Bailey, Nnamdi Asomugha, LaRon Landry, Sean Taylor, etc.

You think I couldn't go on for an hour naming players that people have attempted to defend at one point or another as just a "football player"?

Matt Roth was just a football player. Bill Swancutt was just a football player. Rocky Calmus was a football player. Rashaun Woods was a football player. Graham Harrell was a football player. Cedric Cobbs was a football player.

It's all bull ****. No matter how much people TRY and paint it like there's some magic formula for finding great NFL prospects, there damn well isn't. It's all individual player evaluation. All of it. So and so might be a FREAK, and end up a good NFL player. So and so might be a football player with terrible tangibles and end up a good NFL player too. These are humans, not playing cards. Humans are the most complicated phenomenon on the planet. They can't be summarized and amalgamated, themed and strategized. At least not accurately.

Freeney a freak? Try undersized defensive end.......Laron Landry sucks CK....me and hoops had several disagreements about that dude coming out of college.....I watched a slow, 6-5, 215 pound baseball pitcher from Notre Dame obliterate him in the open field one-on-one in the Sugar Bowl...

Willis was the best defensive player in the draft that year....and he had knocks on him too....they said he couldn't get off blocks....missed tackles....all those guys had knocks....they all do...

You can be a freak and be productive....but how many of those freaks were backups until their junior year?

Willie Parker was a physical phenom that was a backup his entire college career. Ronnie Brown was a "backup" to Cadillac Williams. He was also a physical freak.

Hell, Barry Sanders was just a backup to Thurman Thomas his first two years at Oklahoma State.

And you go ahead and tell NFL GMs that LaRon Landry sucks. See what they say.

I think we're also forgetting that Ireland out and out stated his preference to hooshoops for Spikes over McClain for the exact reasons CK has been stating.

Lest we forget...

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f2/...ghlight=ireland+mcclain+spikes#post1063213614

Blowing smoke? Possibly. But I doubt it.

Either way, it's certainly relevant to this argument.

He also preferred Vontae Davis over Clay Matthews....obviously either would've been fine...

He also preferred Pat White over Max Unger.....Patrick Turner over Jerraud Powers, etc...

I like Spikes too....in the 2nd round.....if he prefers Spikes over McClain at #12 he's lost his mind...

hey...i still like laron landry...i just think he should be playing ss...but i've seen some gibril wilson or worse looking coverage from landry this year...

he just needs a fresh start....yeah that's it :ponder:

landry was a darn good looking prospect...only thing i didn't like was when he flipped his hips there seemed to be a hitch in his giddy up...

and landry his first few years in dc when he was playing that deep centerfield and running sideline to sideline was a pretty good player...

so lay off laron dagnabbit

Back
Top Bottom