Keenan McCardell will definitely... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Keenan McCardell will definitely...

miamirw

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Soften the blow of losing David Boston for the year. He got over 800 yards in a pretty anemic passing offense last year. We sure could use that experience opposite Chambers.

As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong), we have 3 million extra dollars in cap space that was ear marked for Ricky, correct? Supposedly McCardell wants 2.5 Million. We seem to be the perfect fit for him. Sign him to a two year deal. When Boston comes back next year, we've got three top tier WR's.

This year, McCardell and Chambers start and Newsome or Thompson battle it out for the number 3.

We simply HAVE to make this move. I really hope TB signs Tim Brown and lets McCardell go.

How do you suppose we get him?

Cross the fingers and hope that what's being reported takes place.

If the Bucs sign Tim Brown, they may be willing to cut McCardell lose. Or maybe it takes a low draft pick (fifth or higher) to get it done.

miamirw said:
Soften the blow of losing David Boston for the year. He got over 800 yards in a pretty anemic passing offense last year. We sure could use that experience opposite Chambers.

As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong), we have 3 million extra dollars in cap space that was ear marked for Ricky, correct? Supposedly McCardell wants 2.5 Million. We seem to be the perfect fit for him. Sign him to a two year deal. When Boston comes back next year, we've got three top tier WR's.

This year, McCardell and Chambers start and Newsome or Thompson battle it out for the number 3.

We simply HAVE to make this move. I really hope TB signs Tim Brown and lets McCardell go.
I wouldn't count on Boston for anything. I'd be surprised if he's ever able to contribute again - especially at the level he was prior to the injury. Look no further than Yatil Green for evidence.

I could not agree with you more. By signing McCardell we will have hope again for the season. He is definetly an above averarge receiver. He was quoted about two months ago saying he would love to play for Miami. I say we give up a 5th or 6th draft pick to make sure we get him.

I read somewhere that Boston had the same exact injury (Patellar tendon rupture) to his other leg (right). He was able to come back fully from that injury. Yatil I believe had the full blow out and he had it to the same knee. Big difference. Also, you're talking about a tendon not a ligament. A tendon is the end of a muscle and can grow back to full strength. A ligament is not vascularized (doesn't get blood), so when it goes, you either have to replace it or use what's left. A tendon will grow back.

I actually had a full ACL tear and the subsequent reconstruction. Part of this procedure involves taking material from the Patellar tendon and using it as a new ligament. The reason they do this instead of using an artifical ligament or a ligament from a cadaver is to reduce the chance of rejection (you're less likely to reject your own tissue and the patellar tendon tissue removed can grow back).

Boston already came back fully from the first injury and he should be able to do the same with this one.

For this reason I'm confident Boston will be back next year and he'll likely be convinced that he should be playing at the 210 level rather than the 230 level.

miamirw said:
I read somewhere that Boston had the same exact injury (Patellar tendon rupture) to his other leg (right). He was able to come back fully from that injury. Yatil I believe had the full blow out and he had it to the same knee. Big difference. Also, you're talking about a tendon not a ligament. A tendon is the end of a muscle and can grow back to full strength. A ligament is not vascularized (doesn't get blood), so when it goes, you either have to replace it or use what's left. A tendon will grow back.

I actually had a full ACL tear and the subsequent reconstruction. Part of this procedure involves taking material from the Patellar tendon and using it as a new ligament. The reason they do this instead of using an artifical ligament or a ligament from a cadaver is to reduce the chance of rejection (you're less likely to reject your own tissue and the patellar tendon tissue removed can grow back).

Boston already came back fully from the first injury and he should be able to do the same with this one.

For this reason I'm confident Boston will be back next year and he'll likely be convinced that he should be playing at the 210 level rather than the 230 level.

Yatil not only got the ligaments (ACL, PCL, and MCL) in his knee, he got the quad tendon as well. This posed a complication. After an ACL reconstruction, the patient is placed in a CPM (Continuous Passive Motion) machine that will flex and extend the knee. This is key for the graft to take. Because of the tendon tear, Yatil's knee had to be immobilized for the tendon to heal. Due to this, the ligament grafts never took. This lead to his second knee reconstruction during his second season.

The procedure you are talking about (on your knee) was a bone-patella-bone autograft. Basically, when harvesting the graft, you take bone on each end of the patella.

I don't think Boston can play at 210. We can't count on D-Bo as much as we did this year. I think we need a quick fix now at WR, but more importantly can be insurance for next season. McCardell seems to be the most realistic option at a reasonable price. I heard that the FO was looking for a faster guy though.

So I'm not completely familiar with Boston's injury, but am I correct in assuming that the tendon injury is not as devastating as a ligament injury because of the fact that the tendon can actually heal completely, whereas the ligament cannot.

Just curious.

I agree with MiamiRW. We need to act and act now to begin turning this mess around. You get lemons, make lemonade.

Why does everyone want Keenan McCardell, He wants big money, i dont want to waste anything for him. And he wants to be paid like he is a top 15 WR

BOOOO KEENAN MCCARDELLL

I think tha the is the best option out there right now.....Madded just said on MNF that he thinks Brown will visit Miami as well....I hope not. he is a playmaker but you are right, he does want some serious cash

Frankly, I don't expect us to sign McCardell. He's old, expensive and I haven't seen Spielman make this kind of move before.

Keenan was the 5th leading wide receiver in the NFC last year for # of receptions and 9th in the NFL. It was arguably either the best or 2nd best season of his career. He had a solid 14 ypc. Of the WRs with more catches, the best ypc was 15.1 so he was right there with average too. His ypc was higher than Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, Derrick Mason. Hines Ward and Joe Horn to name a few big name wideouts. He can still get down the field and even at 34 years old, seems to not be slowing down. Some guys seem to maintain better condition and production to an older age and Keenan has shown so far that he is one of those types. The only question with going after him as it stands right now, is Tampa would be required compensation.

Back
Top Bottom